Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Sep 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #661 of 5,933
I've seen some very talented users who can design UIs on geekwave forums.
I wish they work them instead of creating something way too basic.
There has to be something, at least, as good as Rockbox UI which is also basic.
I don't want to see something that is below Rockbox OS quality after paying nearly 2K.
They need to work with at least one or two professionals. I'm sure they will work on this at the price of 2k or 3k.

if they can use Rockbox as OS, it will solve all problems at no charge.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #663 of 5,933
Cool. I wonder how he could check the unit while all of us can't.
We don't even know how it will look like in the end.
Do you guys think XD128's LCD screen will be good enough to handle a complex UI?

He happened to be at the right place at the right time. I got to listen to it as well with another friend, and thought it rocked. Too bad it'll be well into next year before I get my geek wave.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #664 of 5,933
  I've seen some very talented users who can design UIs on geekwave forums.
I wish they work them instead of creating something way too basic.
There has to be something, at least, as good as Rockbox UI which is also basic.
I don't want to see something that is below Rockbox OS quality after paying nearly 2K.
They need to work with at least one or two professionals. I'm sure they will work on this at the price of 2k or 3k.

if they can use Rockbox as OS, it will solve all problems at no charge.

Rockbox is great but only plays back at max of 48khz (I think). I reads higher rez files, but the playback engine doesn't not handle output at higher than 48khz.

Regardless of whether you believe >20khz is for bats and not humans, one of the design goals of this DAP is to play back hi res files at their native sampling rates, so unless they rework the codebase to support high-res, it is not going to be rockbox as a base.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #665 of 5,933

Rockbox is great but only plays back at max of 48khz (I think). I reads higher rez files, but the playback engine doesn't not handle output at higher than 48khz.

Regardless of whether you believe >20khz is for bats and not humans, one of the design goals of this DAP is to play back hi res files at their native sampling rates, so unless they rework the codebase to support high-res, it is not going to be rockbox as a base.

who knows if they can modify Rockbox OS and implement it.
rockbox with 32 / 382khz support?

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #666 of 5,933
Content of an email posted by a fairly well-known guy with permission (with a bit of editing to make it more family-friendly and less controversial): I did block out his name to avoid any bad vibes even though he did not ask me to - the meat of this is the fact that these are his honest impressions of the prototype and he is no shill on the take. Enjoy!

"First of all, I am a nice guy but I don't spare manufactures any bs when they try to pass off a (low-quality) product as a good one. I can give you tons of examples where I have been offered a free thing-a-ma-jig for a positive review but I refuse because it sounds like total crap. Anything I have ever written is genuine. I only write or support things I actually like. The claim that "he is probably friends with LH and can get a good deal from them, so he's saying nice things" is false. I am not friends with anybody at their offices. Moreover, I don't own any of their products. That said, I wish I was because Gavin, and everyone else I have talked to at their company booths, are genuinely nice and you can tell they LOVE music. The times I have spoken with them, I don't even think they even knew I was "$$$" as I didn't introduce myself as such. I also don't have any deals...sadly. 

As much as I love what they have released thus far, I don't own anything from them because money is tight. If I could afford it, I'd probably buy their products but my family has certain needs which outweigh my love of great sounding gear.

I'm actually envious that you're getting an XD. I wanted a Geek Wave XD with all the perks so bad but the money is just not there to spend. 

So, what did I think?

The Geek Wave is among the best sources I have ever head...period. I have been to many shows and audio conventions and have been more disappointed than pleased when hearing dealer presentations. Imagine my surprise when I hear a PROTOTYPE geek wave and it sounds amazing. Very steady, controlled, accurate, and powerful bass. Liquid mids which were VERY accurate, and highs that were crisp and detailed and not overemphasized. These qualities can usually be found on professional equipment and that equipment is usually expensive. Yes, the Geek Wave is expensive to me BUT consider that I have heard so many other headphone rigs that did NOT sound that good and were worth 3 times the price or more! That's why I said the Geek Wave was great. I genuinely enjoyed it. 

If it were (not good), you wouldn't see me posting anything on head-fi, but you would have heard about it on their geek forum....where I can post my thoughts freely among an educated crowd of enthusiasts. People can always PM and ask, like you did, and I'm always happy to share and give honest feedback. A lot of manufacturers deal with me like that and I never say a word about such involvement. In the end, if the company is providing the community with a quality product, then I'm happy to support them in any way I can. The Geek Wave is an extraordinary device. It's innovative, portable, and sounds damn good. No, I don't have one and no, I can't afford the one I want but that's no reason not to speak the truth about it. 

Think about the ****. That thing is super expensive and sounds, to me, like utter (unflattering word). Consider that hefty price tag on the ****; a poor sound source with a pretty lights! The Geek Wave trounces the ****. You can take that opinion of mine to the bank. :)  

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. I think you made a solid purchase and if you really value good sound quality, then the Geek Wave is something you will not only be proud to own, but something you'll grow to love and cherish. There is nothing I cherish more than having my music with me and experiencing that music at the best quality possible. Before, I had to be at my mastering studio for that to happen. Now, I know some people will experience that same quality on the go thanks to the Geek Wave. That's awesome.

- $$$$

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #668 of 5,933
  That is good news for us backers.  Listening to some tunes in the shower, my flatmate tried dissing it while I was squeezing out my luffa.  I just turnip the music and tuned them out, didn't want their blood on my hands. 

It is indeed. It made me breathe a sigh of relief - I think it will sound awesome, but who knows about the UI...I'm most concerned about the sound and I feel like they know what they're doing in that department.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #669 of 5,933
Yeah, forking away my 2,000$ on the Wave was kind of like sticking my [Mod Edit: *COUGH*]: I have no idea what it will be used for or how long it will take, but I'll be happy as long as there's a result.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #670 of 5,933
  Yeah, forking away my 2,000$ on the Wave was kind of like sticking my [Mod Edit: *COUGH*]: I have no idea what it will be used for or how long it will take, but I'll be happy as long as there's a result.

I only put in for the 32gb base model, so I can't be too disappointed by any outcome - as long as nothing gets chopped off that is.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #671 of 5,933
As entertaining as this is - I'm pulling out and enlarging the hole.. 

Sandisk have announced a 512GB SDXC Card 
biggrin.gif
 for those of us with anything other than the base model that means dual SDXC and a nice 1TB boost to onboard.

Current pricing estimated at: $800 (£490)

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #672 of 5,933
  As entertaining as this is - I'm pulling out and enlarging the hole.. 

Sandisk have announced a 512GB SDXC Card 
biggrin.gif
 for those of us with anything other than the base model that means dual SDXC and a nice 1TB boost to onboard.

Current pricing estimated at: $800 (£490)

I've heard about it yesterday. 1TB sounds great....
Let's wait for PNY guys. They will make a cheaper version of this 512GB SDXC card.
I'm sure it will be as cheap as 200 dollars by the time we get our XD128!

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #673 of 5,933
He happened to be at the right place at the right time. I got to listen to it as well with another friend, and thought it rocked. Too bad it'll be well into next year before I get my geek wave.

Yup. I was that other friend. It was at THE Show @ Newport. It was a pretty fantastic player indeed. Very revealing and unforgiving though. Great songs sounded fantastic out of it. Got to hear reasonable masters of  Allan Parson's "Eye in the Sky" and with Stevie Wonder "Superstition" and life was good. But there was this POS Billy Jean master that sounded awful.

The player at the time had no case. Here is how it looked like.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #674 of 5,933

Yup. I was that other friend. It was at THE Show @ Newport. It was a pretty fantastic player indeed. Very revealing and unforgiving though. Great songs sounded fantastic out of it. Got to hear reasonable masters of  Allan Parson's "Eye in the Sky" and with Stevie Wonder "Superstition" and life was good. But there was this POS Billy Jean master that sounded awful.

The player at the time had no case. Here is how it looked like.

I think the tough part for LH will not be the sound quality - it will be the UI and could end up being like many other players that are released with one that is half-baked, followed by a couple dozen updates. If it sounds as good as I've been told, I can suffer through that while they smooth out the wrinkles. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back