Light Harmonic Geek Linear Power Supply (LPS and LPS4) Impressions/Discussion
Jan 25, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 81
I just connected  the LPS 4 to my computer and my Lindemann 825 DAC (waiting for the x/f/I). There is no sound coming out but the Lindemann is accepting the signal because it says USB 44 kHz. as the source. When I remove the USB cable from the Lindemann it only says USB.  There are five lights on, the first is yellow and the other four are green. This seems to be what it shows in the pictures when it is working correctly. Any ideas? I just sold the Lindemann  and I  have to ship it tomorrow so I am trying to figure out if the LPS 4 is defective today. I am using ordinary USB cables. Thanks

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 81

The LPS is not affected by the P18 at all. You could invest that money in something like Norne Audio's Draug v2 or Solv X cables, balanced of course. I have the HE-560 with a balanced Draug v2 cable which adds that little bit of warmth i crave.

By the way, the Wyrd is truly superb value for it's $99. I can't think of anything near that price which has such a dramatic improvement on audio clarity and dynamics.

Nicolo, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was indeed planning to go for a balanced cables and heard good things about Norne (thinking between the Draug and the Solv), but I wanted to hear the stock cable first.

Everyone praises the Wyrd. However, since I'll be using a Pulse Infinity and a LPS with the HE-560, I don't think there would be any benefit, or need, for the Wyrd in my system. Can/Will you use the Wyrd and LPS at the same time when you get your Pulse? 

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 81
I just connected  the LPS 4 to my computer and my Lindemann 825 DAC (waiting for the x/f/I). There is no sound coming out but the Lindemann is accepting the signal because it says USB 44 kHz. as the source. When I remove the USB cable from the Lindemann it only says USB.  There are five lights on, the first is yellow and the other four are green. This seems to be what it shows in the pictures when it is working correctly. Any ideas? I just sold the Lindemann  and I  have to ship it tomorrow so I am trying to figure out if the LPS 4 is defective today. I am using ordinary USB cables. Thanks

How did you setup your rig?
http://www.lindemann-audio.de/en/products/archive/digital-sources/825-high-definition-disc-player/specifications/
It looks like it doesn't use a traditional 2.5-3.5 mm DC barrel plug like what comes with the Geek LPS.

Do you have a USB A-USB B cable connecting your computer to the LPS? You need another USB A-USB B cable to connect the LPS to the Lindemann. Does the LPS have the correct voltage operation value on the box (e.g. 240 V)?

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #20 of 81

Thank you for your quick response.  I am only using it for the USB connections not to power it, since as you noticed the Lindemann 825 does not have a DC power connection. I have two USB cables properly connected and it is 120 volts.

As noted it my post it is recognizing it in some manner because it states USB 44 kHz when connected and then only USB when I disconnect the USB cable from the Lindemann. I have no problem playing files when the USB cable is directly connected for the PC to the Lindemann. Again thanks,

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #21 of 81
How did you setup your rig?
http://www.lindemann-audio.de/en/products/archive/digital-sources/825-high-definition-disc-player/specifications/
It looks like it doesn't use a traditional 2.5-3.5 mm DC barrel plug like what comes with the Geek LPS.

Do you have a USB A-USB B cable connecting your computer to the LPS? You need another USB A-USB B cable to connect the LPS to the Lindemann. Does the LPS have the correct voltage operation value on the box (e.g. 240 V)?

Now it doesn't appear to get the signal. Also the Lindemann drivers are not showing up under Sound in the Control Panel.

The message in JRivers is that the file can't be played in ASIO Format.  I also tried another USB cable same problem.

As soon as I directly connect the USB cable from the PC to the DAC, no problems, and the Lindemann drivers show up under Sound

Must be a problem with the LPS 4?

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 81

Nicolo, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was indeed planning to go for a balanced cables and heard good things about Norne (thinking between the Draug and the Solv), but I wanted to hear the stock cable first.

Everyone praises the Wyrd. However, since I'll be using a Pulse Infinity and a LPS with the HE-560, I don't think there would be any benefit, or need, for the Wyrd in my system. Can/Will you use the Wyrd and LPS at the same time when you get your Pulse? 

If you are using the USB of the LPS, there's no sonic benefit to having the Wyrd in the chain anymore. Not using the Wyrd anymore as the LPS is now directly connected to my laptop. Will probably sell of the Wyrd now.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 81
Today Ive tried to use my LPS + DragonFly + 2G and to my surprise It did not work at all....
confused.gif

Any Ideas?

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 81
Today Ive tried to use my LPS + DragonFly + 2G and to my surprise It did not work at all....:confused:
Any Ideas?

From what I've seen in the LH forums, you're not the only one.
http://lhlabs.com/force/techsupport-geeklps/3230-does-the-lps-work-with-anything-other-than-geek-products

That and other people seem to be having issues getting their computer to recognise the connected USB DAC with the LPS.

Are you using the DragonFly with, or without a USB extension cable? Sometimes it seems that the extension cable is the problem. My LPS4 unit works just fine with other USB DACs. Nope....my ODAC doesn't work with it...

Maybe you can open a support ticket and ask if it's your unit specifically, or if that's how the LPS is supposed to be.
http://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000548291-before-you-open-a-ticket-please-read-this

EDIT:
Oh, actually, see if this works:
1) Unplug everything except the power cable from LPS and turn it off
2) Plug in USB cable from music source to LPS
3) Turn on LPS
4) Plug in DragonFly
5) Plug in headphones/speakers
6) Play music

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 81
From what I've seen in the LH forums, you're not the only one.
http://lhlabs.com/force/techsupport-geeklps/3230-does-the-lps-work-with-anything-other-than-geek-products

That and other people seem to be having issues getting their computer to recognise the connected USB DAC with the LPS.

Are you using the DragonFly with, or without a USB extension cable? Sometimes it seems that the extension cable is the problem. My LPS4 unit works just fine with other USB DACs. Nope....my ODAC doesn't work with it...

Maybe you can open a support ticket and ask if it's your unit specifically, or if that's how the LPS is supposed to be.
http://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000548291-before-you-open-a-ticket-please-read-this

EDIT:
Oh, actually, see if this works:
1) Unplug everything except the power cable from LPS and turn it off
2) Plug in USB cable from music source to LPS
3) Turn on LPS
4) Plug in DragonFly
5) Plug in headphones/speakers
6) Play music

Thanks MiceBlue! Still does not work.
Ive tried to connect my X5 as a DAC and worked like a charm, its even recharging.   Probably the USB Designed by Gordon Rankin is not fully supported by LPS.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #28 of 81
Hm, the latest version of the Windows 10 Technical Preview doesn't recognise the ODAC through the LPS either, but it sees it just fine with MacBook -> USB A-miniUSB -> ODAC

My beta OPPO HA-2 is recognised perfectly fine through the LPS4. My JDS Labs C5D isn't though.

C5D, ODAC, and DragonFly all do not require driver support in Windows. Geek Out, HA-2, and iDSD all do. Maybe there's a pattern here.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 81
Hm, the latest version of the Windows 10 Technical Preview doesn't recognise the ODAC through the LPS either, but it sees it just fine with MacBook -> USB A-miniUSB -> ODAC

My beta OPPO HA-2 is recognised perfectly fine through the LPS4. My JDS Labs C5D isn't though.

C5D, ODAC, and DragonFly all do not require driver support in Windows. Geek Out, HA-2, and iDSD all do. Maybe there's a pattern here.

Interesting, all USB 1.0 and USB 1.1 seem to not work with LPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back