Light Harmonic Geek Linear Power Supply (LPS and LPS4) Impressions/Discussion
Jan 30, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #31 of 81
Mine was diagnosed defective as well, they will replace my unit.
There is just a little problem.. right now Im in Brazil, and it will cost almost a new one to ship it back to US and back again to Brazil  =/

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #32 of 81
  Mine was diagnosed defective as well, they will replace my unit.
There is just a little problem.. right now Im in Brazil, and it will cost almost a new one to ship it back to US and back again to Brazil  =/

Could you kindly mention which variation of LPS you have, LPS or LPS4, and its serial number?

Thank you so much!

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #34 of 81
My two LPS4s arrived today in the generic box / bubble wrap packing material.  

Not sure really what to do with them as my Pulse Infinities aren't scheduled to ship for at least a month but I suspect longer.

Does others LPS4 vibrate if you just tap the case?  Both of mine do.  Does anyone think LH Labs will sell any at the current campaign price of $1299?

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #36 of 81
Actually I won't send my LPS to RMA.
As an engineer I follow the EEV blog motto "Don't turn it on, take it apart" so I lost my warranty.
The LPS was bought to be used with Pulse, so no big deal if its not working with Dragonfly. I hope at least it works with Pulse 
confused.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #37 of 81
I just received a reply back to a support ticket regarding DAC compatibility:
Hi [miceblue],

In doing some research into the ODAC and Audio Class 1 I have found that they are based on the USB 1.1 standard, which does not support the high-speed data transfer specification of the 2.0 standard.

I spoke to Larry to get some clarification on the LPS/LPS4 USB standards compatibility and he mentioned the following:

- the LPS/LPS4 was designed based on the USB 2.0 standard, and designed to be primarily compatible with the Geek Out and Geek Pulse

- the LPS/LPS4 does support backwards compatibility with USB 1.1 devices, but only a handful of devices have been tested

- not all USB 1.1 devices will work with the LPS/LPS4 because of the slower transfer speeds inherent in the standard which will cause handshake issues

- unfortunately, given the design of those devices there is nothing we can do with regards to supporting them

I have added a FAQ post on the support page summarizing this as well to hopefully help others seeing this issue.

So any DAC limited to 24/96 playback will not work with the LPS, from what it looks like.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #38 of 81
I just received a reply back to a support ticket regarding DAC compatibility:
So any DAC limited to 24/96 playback will not work with the LPS, from what it looks like.

I totally disagree with LHLabs. 

Look whats is written in the Indiegogo page:
As an added feature, Geek LPS can be used to clean the noise off of the USB connection from your computer to Geek Pulse. Just connect your computer to Geek LPS using a USB cable, then connect Geek LPS to Geek Pulse (or any USB DAC, for that matter) using a second USB Cable. When you do this, Geek LPS disconnects the 5V power coming over the USB cable from the computer and replaces it with clean (under 6uV noise) 5V power coming from its super-regulated power circuits.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #39 of 81
Yeah...that is rather disappointing. I was looking forward to comparing how the Objective DAC sounds with and without the LPS given that the ODAC was created with very specific design constraints for optimal performance. So much for that. >.>

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #43 of 81
I have a question, this may not be the place for it, but I don't know what would be the place. Not long ago, on one of the LH forums (the Head Fi version), someone recommended Jays Audio LPS as a reasonable substitute for the Geek LPS. Now, I got one, came today, was hoping I could use it to connect my Geek Out Special Edition, figured that combo would come close to the Pulse with the upgrade options. The Jays doesn't have a USB connection, though, just the kind of round connector that would connect the power supply to the wall plug for a laptop, I believe. Anyone have an idea if there is a way to use it? Is there an adapter cable that can plug the GO and the LPS (would have to be some kind of Y connector, because I'd still have to connect to the PC for music). Any ideas? Thanks

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #44 of 81
I have a question, this may not be the place for it, but I don't know what would be the place. Not long ago, on one of the LH forums (the Head Fi version), someone recommended Jays Audio LPS as a reasonable substitute for the Geek LPS. Now, I got one, came today, was hoping I could use it to connect my Geek Out Special Edition, figured that combo would come close to the Pulse with the upgrade options. The Jays doesn't have a USB connection, though, just the kind of round connector that would connect the power supply to the wall plug for a laptop, I believe. Anyone have an idea if there is a way to use it? Is there an adapter cable that can plug the GO and the LPS (would have to be some kind of Y connector, because I'd still have to connect to the PC for music). Any ideas? Thanks

The Jay Audio LPS is just a DC power source. It looks like you can't use the Geek Out directly with it because it only has AC power input and DC power output(s), which is contrary to what the Geek LPS does since it can handle USB input/output as well.

You'd somehow need a 5.5 mm DC barrel to USB adaptor to give power to the GO connected to a Y-splitter, and I've never seen one of those before unfortunately.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #45 of 81

I think its a much better idea to get a Shiit Wyrd.
Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back