Life after Yggdrasil?
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #721 of 1,366
Not too fond of the higher priced Chord stuff. Too much $$ for what you're getting, IMO. I'd probably look at the list of things coming to that LA meet (I would expect Schiit DACs of all shapes and sizes considering it's L.A).

I'd expect something like what's in the picture at least for amps.

Those will be most interesting!

I would love to bring more gear, but I doubt Yggdrasil's will be in short supply ... and anything else is likely to be full size and not very practical to travel with.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #722 of 1,366
  You already know you're going to do it!    
beerchug.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Funny!

Even if it ultimately winds up on top sonically ... it's ugly as sin and is annoying to use in my configuration without the stand (which doesn't help the aesthetics or the value proposition).  So there are no guarantees.  And while price is no assurance of performance, so far it's only been competing with things priced up to about half what DAVE with a stand runs (a bit more in the case of TotalDAC) ... the price-comparable competition hasn't even started yet.

Then, when you consider that for the same price, I could have another Yggdrasil, a DirectStream Junior a Pavane AND an MSB Analog ... well, that's quite the thing to overcome.  So far it's the best unit I've heard, but it's not like it's that far ahead of the other units on the shortlist at this point.  One of the remaining tests, once I'm down to the final shortlist, will just be to sit and listen, without taking notes, and see if I even notice the differences in "normal" recreational listening.

One of the problems I find doing auditions is that the way I listen when trying to evaluate gear isn't the same as how I do it when I'm just trying to enjoy music.  So if it, or anything else, doesn't elevate that experience without having to listen for differences, then to me those differences won't matter.

But, we shall see ... I'm a long way from making any decisions!

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #723 of 1,366
Funny!

Even if it ultimately winds up on top sonically ... it's ugly as sin and is annoying to use in my configuration without the stand (which doesn't help the aesthetics or the value proposition).  So there are no guarantees.  And while price is no assurance of performance, so far it's only been competing with things priced up to about half what DAVE with a stand runs (a bit more in the case of TotalDAC) ... the price-comparable competition hasn't even started yet.

Then, when you consider that for the same price, I could have another Yggdrasil, a DirectStream Junior a Pavane AND an MSB Analog ... well, that's quite the thing to overcome.  So far it's the best unit I've heard, but it's not like it's that far ahead of the other units on the shortlist at this point.  One of the remaining tests, once I'm down to the final shortlist, will just be to sit and listen, without taking notes, and see if I even notice the differences in "normal" recreational listening.

One of the problems I find doing auditions is that the way I listen when trying to evaluate gear isn't the same as how I do it when I'm just trying to enjoy music.  So if it, or anything else, doesn't elevate that experience without having to listen for differences, then to me those differences won't matter.

But, we shall see ... I'm a long way from making any decisions!

For the price of one Dave you could get four excellent dacs. But do you know how many modi's I could get for the price of Yggy? Haha

At the end of the day I could still only listen to one of them. Since I only have one set of ears.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #724 of 1,366
For the price of one Dave you could get four excellent dacs. But do you know how many modi's I could get for the price of Yggy? Haha

At the end of the day I could still only listen to one of them. Since I only have one set of ears.

Sure, I can only listen to one at a time.

But I have multiple homes, and rigs in multiple rooms in each home because I'd rather spend the money than keep moving things around.

So, yes, you can get 23 Modi's for the price of an Yggdrasil, or 9 if you go for the multi-bit (which I did).  But the difference in performance between even Modi Multi-bit (which is excellent), and Yggdrasil is considerably bigger (for $2049 more) than the difference in performance between Yggdrasil and DAVE (for $14,300 more).

The point was, however, as I've said multiple times in this thread, I'm NOT just buying on sound quality.  And DAVE is far from a foregone conclusion due to the issues I have with the aesthetics, ergonomics and value proposition.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #725 of 1,366

Sure, I can only listen to one at a time.

But I have multiple homes, and rigs in multiple rooms in each home because I'd rather spend the money than keep moving things around.

So, yes, you can get 23 Modi's for the price of an Yggdrasil, or 9 if you go for the multi-bit (which I did).  But the difference in performance between even Modi Multi-bit (which is excellent), and Yggdrasil is considerably bigger (for $2049 more) than the difference in performance between Yggdrasil and DAVE (for $14,300 more).

The point was, however, as I've said multiple times in this thread, I'm NOT just buying on sound quality.  And DAVE is far from a foregone conclusion due to the issues I have with the aesthetics, ergonomics and value proposition.

Yes, that's right you have multiple rooms and homes, completely forgot.  Lately I have been noticing some ear fatigue from long listening sessions and have found that If I try to listen (even at low volumes) I can't hear the same amount of detail as I use to. Music's magical effect temporarily wears off. After a few days of resting and doing other things the magic comes back. I'm not sure how long or often you listen but when I am away I try to use that time to replenish my ears. After I come back I am usually more excited that I was before the break. Long critical listening sessions are very fatiguing as you might have figured out from doing all your comparisons against the Yggdrasil. 

Long term listening for pleasure only might point out bigger differences than you had thought between the Yggy and Dave.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #726 of 1,366

Maybe ... but, not any of the full-size stuff on this list at least (especially as most of them have just been loaners/friend's units or auditioned at dealers).

I'll probably bring the Mojo, DragonFly Red and Modi Multi-bit, but anything larger is probably out.

The only possible exception is if I wind up buying DAVE, as that's probably just about manageable for traveling (at least the way I tend to travel).

Ha!

The Dave won't make it through TSA.
It looks like an alien bomb.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #727 of 1,366

And while price is no assurance of performance, so far it's only been competing with things priced up to about half what DAVE with a stand runs (a bit more in the case of TotalDAC) ...

Forgive my ignorance (or understanding of English). I didn't understand this reference to the TotalDAC. Can you elaborate?

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #728 of 1,366

Forgive my ignorance (or understanding of English). I didn't understand this reference to the TotalDAC. Can you elaborate?

What I meant was that, most of the other DACs I have auditioned were about half (or less than half) the price of DAVE.  Where as the TotalDAC, while still cheaper, was more than half DAVE's price.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #729 of 1,366
What I meant was that, most of the other DACs I have auditioned were about half (or less than half) the price of DAVE.  Where as the TotalDAC, while still cheaper, was more than half DAVE's price.

Thanks for the clarificafion. It makes total sense now :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #730 of 1,366
hi torq.. since you seem to have tried a lot :wink:

I'm looking to buy some dac for my crossover

i need the best 3 fairly low cost dac..

soundwise only
would you prefer mojo to modi MB?
would you prefer gungnir vs metrum musette  
would you prefer Metrum musette to mojo 

let me know what you think =) do you have another proposition?

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #731 of 1,366
  hi torq.. since you seem to have tried a lot :wink:

I'm looking to buy some dac for my crossover

i need the best 3 fairly low cost dac..

soundwise only
would you prefer mojo to modi MB?
would you prefer gungnir vs metrum musette  
would you prefer Metrum musette to mojo 

let me know what you think =) do you have another proposition?

I have not directly compared Mojo to Modi MB yet (only got my Modi MB on Thursday) ... check back on that later in the week (in the process of writing up my Bifrost MB vs. Modi MB comparison, and will get to Mojo after that).

Can't help you, either way, on the Musette vs. anything, sorry!

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #734 of 1,366
Gosh, if anything this thread makes me want a Yggy even more. Especially when I read the post about how Yggy is much better than the modi multibit, something along the lines of, the gap between the modi multibit and the yggy is (much?) larger than the gap between the yggy and chord dave. I read that while listening to the modi multibit through my speakers downstairs, and it was basically frying my brain, i love the modi multibit!! So I can't even imagine at this point what Yggy would sound like in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back