Life after Yggdrasil?
Aug 24, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #751 of 1,366

So ... I'm suddenly a LOT less worried about finding a new DAC and a lot more interesting in enjoying music and fiddling with turntables.

Well, I, for one, will be disappointed if you do not end up in a 3-way session with the Metrum, AQUA, and Yggy.  I really really want to know how those 3 DACs sound in your system.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #752 of 1,366
I've been going back and forth on it, thinking maybe the gumby (also as of this post out of stock) is good enough for my purposes, but then I'd always wonder what the yggy is like.

I am pretty sure that Gumby is as good as I "need" but that wondering would shorten my lifespan or hasten my baldness.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #753 of 1,366
  I am pretty sure that Gumby is as good as I "need" but that wondering would shorten my lifespan or hasten my baldness.

I hear ya! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #754 of 1,366

That is hilarious!

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #756 of 1,366
  Random thought ...

I look at the price-tags on some of these DACs ... and think about the 12,000 or so LPs I have sitting in storage back in the UK ... and ever-less-idly start thinking I should get them shipped over here and spend the difference on another state-of-the-art analog setup.

That might not sound as good, on a technical level, but it was always entirely enjoyable.

Vinyl is for after you have all end-game digital. Otherwise you won't be saving much monies for new gear because you'll be buying $25-$32 a LP!!

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #759 of 1,366

Well, I, for one, will be disappointed if you do not end up in a 3-way session with the Metrum, AQUA, and Yggy.  I really really want to know how those 3 DACs sound in your system.

I'll audition them ... hopefully back to back, but that's more on timing factors outside my direct control.

I'm just feeling a lot less urgency about it than I was before I started fiddling with vinyl again.  Excepting some time I spent in Colorado, I've always had a turntable as part of my speaker rig and still do, so it's not a new thing as such ... I've just not been paying it much attention lately.  Listening to music, especially an album at a time, is a lot more fun, for me anyway, than listening to gear.

Just a diversion for now as I really was quite burned out on the whole process.

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #760 of 1,366

I hear you.  I have a few dozen LPs from younger days and a slightly-beyond-entry-level vinyl rig.  It's a different kind of pleasure to listen to it.  

I think if I were in your position I'd settle on a DAC around the Yggy's price range and take the difference between it and the DAVE to make a good vinyl rig.  Especially since I bet some of your LPs do not have any digital version.

This is a very tempting approach right now ... 

The only fly in the ointment is that to seriously upgrade my existing vinyl rig means ... a bunch more auditioning! 
confused_face.gif
  And, in fact, I'd have to do a bunch of research before that to even figure out what I was going to put on the audition list.

My current turntable is nice, but relatively basic: Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 Evo with a Dynavector 10x5, Speed Box S, feeding the phono stage on my Akurate DSM/1 (which first digitizes the input, then applies the RIAA EQ in the digital domain).  I've had a fully-loaded LP12 before - probably wouldn't go that direction again (loved it, but would want something prettier).  Maybe a higher-end VPI, an AMG, SME ... just not sure.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #762 of 1,366
I have only 56" of LP's but I am going to be reunited with them for the first time since 1989 when I asked my dad to look after them. He is shipping them to me very soon along with my B&O table. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #763 of 1,366

This is a very tempting approach right now ... 

The only fly in the ointment is that to seriously upgrade my existing vinyl rig means ... a bunch more auditioning! 
confused_face.gif
  And, in fact, I'd have to do a bunch of research before that to even figure out what I was going to put on the audition list.

My current turntable is nice, but relatively basic: Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 Evo with a Dynavector 10x5, Speed Box S, feeding the phono stage on my Akurate DSM/1 (which first digitizes the input, then applies the RIAA EQ in the digital domain).  I've had a fully-loaded LP12 before - probably wouldn't go that direction again (loved it, but would want something prettier).  Maybe a higher-end VPI, an AMG, SME ... just not sure.

images

Triangle Arts Concerto-gorgeous

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #764 of 1,366
  Just a diversion for now as I really was quite burned out on the whole process.

The results will be worth the wait.  We're a bunch of slave drivers here on head-fi but you've done amazing work so far.  Feel free to take a day or two off :wink:

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #765 of 1,366

I've had a fully-loaded LP12 before - probably wouldn't go that direction again (loved it, but would want something prettier). 

Yeah, I like some of the "prettier" tables as well.  The latest to tickle my aesthetics is the new Clearaudio Innovation Basic.

I heard one of the AMGs with the DS Nightrider optical cartridge at CAF and that was impressive both aurally and visually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back