Life after Yggdrasil?
Aug 16, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #706 of 1,366
A few that come to mind, and in no particular order ... and keeping the price somewhere between about $500 and $5,000 ...

On the tube side, including hybrids:

• Woo Audio WA5-LE
  • Eddie Current Balancing Act
  • Decware Taboo MkIII
  • Schiit Lyr & Lyr 2
  • Schiit Mjolnir 2
  • Woo Audio WA6

And from the solid-state camp:

• Schiit Ragnarok
  • Headamp GSX Mk2
  • Eddie Current Black Widow
  • Schiit Lyr 2 w/ LISST (I have both LISST and tubes, but choose to use my Lyr 2 with tubes)
  • Schiit Mjolnir 2 w/ LISST
  • Moon 430HA

You're welcome to ask if I've heard something that is not on that list - though perhaps via PM (or in a different thread) - since if it isn't in the above list I either haven't heard it, didn't care for it, or it's outside the those price bounds by more than +$50.

Looks like I am OK with my Lyr and Moon 430HA... Thank you for all your posts and sharing of your experience.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #707 of 1,366
Looks like I am OK with my Lyr and Moon 430HA... Thank you for all your posts and sharing of your experience.

The only thing that should count is that you enjoy listening through them!

In addition to everyone preferring different things, or prioritizing various aspects of performance differently, beyond their sonic performance I have some strong aesthetic and engineering biases ... and those factor into what I'll listen to and, even more, what I'd consider buying.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #709 of 1,366
Look forward on your findings about GSX mk2 and Black Widow, those two always interested me here in headfi.
It would be interesting if you would have chance to try one semi diy product CustomWorks HYPA1, price for hp version is 400euros and in my opinion it is very good, all descrete deisgn. Though I do not have big experience with expensive amps here.
But it is very unknown here and no xlr ouputs and looks really ugly but sure there are exist some nice diy chasis..

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #710 of 1,366
  Look forward on your findings about GSX mk2 and Black Widow, those two always interested me here in headfi.
It would be interesting if you would have chance to try one semi diy product CustomWorks HYPA1, price for hp version is 400euros and in my opinion it is very good, all descrete deisgn. Though I do not have big experience with expensive amps here.
But it is very unknown here and no xlr ouputs and looks really ugly but sure there are exist some nice diy chasis..

I wasn't planning on doing any comparisons between amplifiers any time soon.  I was just responding to a question about what headphone amps I liked.  I can remember what I liked and didn't like well enough, and even my general, high-level, impressions of them, but relying on my audio-memory for more than that would be dodgy at best!

As it is, I have one more serious amp than I have DACs for (hence this thread)!

And, absent some new, interesting, high-performing, and pretty amp being introduced somewhere, or adding an electrostatic headphone to my collection, I think I know what my near-future amplifier purchases/upgrades are going to be - even though I'm not really feeling like there's that far to go from my current WA5-LE and Takatsukis.

Realistically I'm looking at a WA234 and possibly an Eddie Current Balancing Act; the latter being very dependent on my being able to get past the aesthetics of it (I love the sound).  I considered the Egoista 845, but am on the fence there and tend to gravitate more towards 300Bs.

That said, an unexpected addition is a little Schiit Vali 2 (along with a Modi Multi-bit) ... coming tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #711 of 1,366
A quick update ...

It's looking a lot like the next round of auditions will commence in the 2nd week of September, starting with the Aqua Formula (Well Pleased Audio has been very attentive and helpful in this regard ever since first contacting them - if only securing auditions of some other units had been so easy).

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #712 of 1,366

I wasn't planning on doing any comparisons between amplifiers any time soon.  I was just responding to a question about what headphone amps I liked.  I can remember what I liked and didn't like well enough, and even my general, high-level, impressions of them, but relying on my audio-memory for more than that would be dodgy at best!

And, absent some new, interesting, high-performing, and pretty amp being introduced somewhere, or adding an electrostatic headphone to my collection, I think I know what my near-future amplifier purchases/upgrades are going to be - even though I'm not really feeling like there's that far to go from my current WA5-LE and Takatsukis.

Realistically I'm looking at a WA234 and possibly an Eddie Current Balancing Act; the latter being very dependent on my being able to get past the aesthetics of it (I love the sound).  I considered the Egoista 845, but am on the fence there and tend to gravitate more towards 300Bs.

That said, an unexpected addition is a little Schiit Vali 2 (along with a Modi Multi-bit) ... coming tomorrow with a bit of luck.

One wouldn't think the Balancing Act falls into the same performance category as the WA234 or the Egoista 845. Were you meaning to say the EC Studio Super 7, maybe? Also, keep in mind there is an Egoista 2A3, that will put out less heat, and will be closer to the 300B sound.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #713 of 1,366
  One wouldn't think the Balancing Act falls into the same performance category as the WA234 or the Egoista 845. Were you meaning to say the EC Studio Super 7, maybe? Also, keep in mind there is an Egoista 2A3, that will put out less heat, and will be closer to the 300B sound.

Possibly not, but I did I mean to say WA234 and Balancing Act.

I should emphasize the and part there ...
wink.gif
  I run multiple rigs (multiple homes and rooms), and they'd be in different systems.

Given other available options, and the flexibility of the Balancing Act, I can't see doing an Egoista unless it's the 845 - it's just much more likely I'll go the WA234 route.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #714 of 1,366

If you get a chance to hear a EC BA, you might be surprised - it hits well above its price range. However, in that price category, the EC Studio is supposed to be even better. There is something particularly special about Craig's creations that go beyond the parts list.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #715 of 1,366
  If you get a chance to hear a EC BA, you might be surprised - it hits well above its price range. However, in that price category, the EC Studio is supposed to be even better. There is something particularly special about Craig's creations that go beyond the parts list.

Hopefully there will be one at a meet I expect to be at in LA in the near future, or failing that at RMAF!

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #716 of 1,366

Possibly not, but I did I mean to say WA234 and Balancing Act.

I should emphasize the and part there ...
wink.gif
  I run multiple rigs (multiple homes and rooms), and they'd be in different systems.

Given other available options, and the flexibility of the Balancing Act, I can't see doing an Egoista unless it's the 845 - it's just much more likely I'll go the WA234 route.

Gotcha.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #717 of 1,366
Hopefully there will be one at a meet I expect to be at in LA in the near future, or failing that at RMAF!

Would you be bringing any DAC's to LA? I remember doing a DAC off with an EC Studio. Loved hearing differences between both.

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #718 of 1,366
Would you be bringing any DAC's to LA? I remember doing a DAC off with an EC Studio. Loved hearing differences between both.

Maybe ... but, not any of the full-size stuff on this list at least (especially as most of them have just been loaners/friend's units or auditioned at dealers).

I'll probably bring the Mojo, DragonFly Red and Modi Multi-bit, but anything larger is probably out.

The only possible exception is if I wind up buying DAVE, as that's probably just about manageable for traveling (at least the way I tend to travel).

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #719 of 1,366

The only possible exception is if I wind up buying DAVE

You already know you're going to do it!    
beerchug.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #720 of 1,366
Maybe ... but, not any of the full-size stuff on this list at least (especially as most of them have just been loaners/friend's units or auditioned at dealers).

I'll probably bring the Mojo, DragonFly Red and Modi Multi-bit, but anything larger is probably out.

The only possible exception is if I wind up buying DAVE, as that's probably just about manageable for traveling (at least the way I tend to travel).

Not too fond of the higher priced Chord stuff. Too much $$ for what you're getting, IMO. I'd probably look at the list of things coming to that LA meet (I would expect Schiit DACs of all shapes and sizes considering it's L.A).

I'd expect something like what's in the picture at least for amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back