Life after Yggdrasil?
Jul 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #541 of 1,366

Any examples of "full featured" Ethernet players you could please provide? 
confused_face(1).gif

Could you please share your experience working with RedNet 3 Ethernet to Digital Audio: how does it SOUND (referring to Focusrite’s philosophy that ‘sound is everything’)? 
regular_smile%20.gif

I must confess I miserably failed trying to understand even some basics about this Ethernet-networked audio interface: for example, where the hell AES/EBU inputs/outputs are, what ADAT inputs/outputs are and how many of them there are: 32 channels or 16 channels, etc. 
frown.gif

Back a few years ago I was running over IP into my PWD.
It was superior to the USB available back then.

It was a PIA to find ANY ethernet player and I was truly grateful when Jriver delivered their IP player, but it was never 'fully' developed beyond just the basics.
And at the time I went in search of an alternate player but never found any.
I assumed that by now someone had ethernet functionality as an option for playing into the few ethernet equipped DACs, but I never pursued the search for them when the Wyrd came out, which enabled 'Better' SQ over USB.

So short answer, I know of no other ethernet players but figured someone has implemented this capability by now, then again, perhaps not.

As for the SQ of the RedNet digital audio path to our DACs, it is a major step up from anything I have tried.
In every way and by all of the criteria I use to define 'Better'.
And it has taken 'Better' to new heights in just about all of those very same criteria as well.
Partly because I can now use AES instead of USB or SPDIF which in and of itself is a step up.
But by simply using the ethernet protocol which separates the timing from the data is a major step up.
And that this entire approach (AOIP) was designed and built as a streaming audio format, alone, is probably a major factor in its superiority.
And that Focusrite paid attention to all of those pesky technical details in the implementation of their gear is yet another factor in their superior SQ, right down to the fuse.

And yes this new digital audio path from the computer to the dac is involved and takes a bit of sleuthing to setup and use, but as long as your player is capable of using the ASIO drivers there seem to be minimal changes needed to feed this digital path.
IOW it is essentially just a wire that connects the computer to the DAC, albeit a sophisticated and involved wire at that.

As for the I/O of the RedNet boxes, since they are on the level of ProAudio gear, there are connectors and types of digital audio formats us consumers aren't accustom to.
For instance ADAT is not used much if at all except in the ProAudio world, and the AES ports (both output and input) are available via the DB-25 connectors on the back.
These I/O channels are accessed thru 'Breakout' cables, which again is common enough in the ProAudio world, but not in our consumer level of gear.

And yeah there are many more channels in the RedNet gear than we need, not to mention bi-directional signal flow and routing options that can make your head spin.
It is after all meant to effectively deal with real world complex audio setups in multiple locations all with unique requirements, of which our 2 channel one directional use is trivial in comparison.

Still it solves the USB dilemma and handily out performs any of the other means of sending digital audio streams we have currently available to us, at least that is what I have experienced.

JJ

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #542 of 1,366
  Thank you @Torq
normal_smile .gif

Are there any beginner level tutorials to learn the software/protocol side of things you could please recommend? 

For example, I am trying to understand what it would take to setup, under Mac OS, a system with the main objective to play music stored on the local network with possible integration with streaming services (e.g. Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal…). 
confused_face(1).gif

So far, I see it unfolding like this:
OpenHome Player
Linn Kazoo control app
Linn Kazoo Server

O, perhaps:
JRiver

To understand if I am on target here, and what configuration is actually better, and why, I definitely need some education… 
normal_smile .gif

Will it be possible for you to briefly describe the software/protocol side of the system employed in your tests, please? 
wink_face.gif

So … back to your your specific question (I’m going to save general discussion of Network interfaces and protocols to my specific comparison thread on the subject):

“I am trying to understand what it would take to setup, under Mac OS, a system with the main objective to play music stored on the local network with possible integration with streaming services (e.g. Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal …).”

The first thing to know, is that there are two major approaches for achieving this.  One is with the DAC attached directly to your computer (i.e. via USB, optical or coax, directly).  The other is with a Network or Ethernet Interface/Streamer attached to your DAC.  The first case is the simplest, so let’s start there.

Most of the good OS X/macOS players can read files off a network storage device, be it a NAS or something else.  All you need to do is add the appropriate network folders to your library and connect the DAC to your computer and you’re in business.

One simple example is Audirvana+ which, in addition to playing local and network files, can also access TIDAL and Qobuz.  It won’t talk to Spotify however, so you have to use the Spotify client for that, but that will work happily with a directly connected DAC anyway.

You can even remote control this with an iOS device if you want to.

Roon, which is an absolutely fabulous way to both play and explore your music, will also work perfectly happily in this scenario, and you can run both the Core and the Client on a single machine if you wish, though most people put the core on a dedicated machine that acts as a server for local and network files as well as the gateway to TIDAL.

Roon actually has the advantage of fully integrating your TIDAL and local/network libraries so that they can appear as one (TIDAL albums that you don’t own copies of get a little “T” icon in the corner. 

Pretty simple and how most people go about it.

I use both, but my client of choice is Roon whenever possible.  Audirvana+ gets more use in portable scenarios where I’m not connected to my Roon core.

Now, if you want to use a Network/Ethernet Interface or Streamer to feed your DAC, things get a bit more complicated.  For a start, there are more moving pieces, and some of them work better than others.

Most such devices support something called DLNA/UPnP or OpenHome (extensions to UPnP developed largely by Linn).  This has three components (I’m simplifying a bit from the formal spec):

• A SERVER (e.g. Asset UPnP, Linn Kazoo Server, etc.) – this exposes your library on your network, provides catalog services and allows access to the actual music data.
  • A CLIENT (e.g. Linn Kazoo, Lumin, Songbook, etc. )– this talks to the server to let you browse your library, build playlists, send “play” requests and choose where the music is sent to.
  • A RENDERER – this is what actually plays the music; the client sends it a list of tracks to play, which the renderer then requests the data for, a chunk at a time, directly from the server.  Note that a renderer can JUST be an interface (which is the formal definition for it) or it can be an interface that has a DAC as part of it (e.g. the Linn units or an Auralic Aries Mini).

Setting this up is pretty easy, and there are lots of Servers and Clients to choose from which will, more or less, all work together.

To get this going, the easiest path is to download either Assent UPnP or Linn’s Kazoo Server and install them.  You need to tell them where your music is located (i.e. choose one or more drives/folders that contain your music) and then you’re good to go with the defaults.

Install the client, which exists for iOS, Windows, OS X, and depending on which client, there are Android versions as well.

When you launch the client it’ll ask you to choose a SERVER (and it’ll usually just prompt you with a list) and then a RENDERER (again, you’ll usually get a choice).  And then from there it’s just a case of choosing tracks and hitting “Play”.

This can all be done for free, so if you have a DLNA/UPnP capable DAC or streamer, playing around with it is quick, simple and won’t cost you anything but time.  There’s not much that needs to be configured, but you can get tweaky if you want to with some of these components.

The PS Audio Network Bridge II, Linn DSMs, the Auralic Aries (and Mini), SonicorbiterSE, and most other network-capable devices targeted at home/audiophile uses support at least DLNA/UPnP, but it’s easy enough to check.

You could use JRiver to do this sort of thing too.  It can act as both a DLNA/UPnP Server AND Client for example.  I choose not to because I think it’s interface is quite intolerably ugly and while it’s much more tweakable, and offers many features unavailable elsewhere, they’re things that I don’t care about and don’t wish to deal with the very fiddly the interface and configuration.

Now, Roon can also operate in a similar mode here, and it’s a MUCH more sophisticated, pleasant and capable interface (especially on touch-screen devices).  It also costs either $120/year or $500 for a lifetime subscription.  You can try it for free, but if you like it, and you probably will, you have to pay to play.

Far fewer devices, currently, are capable of acting as Roon Endpoints (the Roon equivalent of a “Renderer” in DLNA/UPnP terms), but that number is growing extremely rapidly.  If you want, you can use a PC or a Mac as an end-point, or a Raspberry Pi board, as there are “Bridge” components (simple software download) that enable that.

Out of the box, the Auralic Aries (but NOT the Mini), SonicorbiterSE and, as of this week, the Network Bridge II work as native Roon endpoints.

Protocol wise, Roon’s RAAT specification is a lot more capable than the UPnP protocol, and allows for features that UPnP doesn’t even being to approach.  But there’s no such thing as a free lunch and you have a more limited selection of devices you can use, and you have to pay to do so.

I imagine, before very long, Roon support will be standard on pretty much anything with a network interface, even if it is just one option they support.

--

To use something like the RedNet 3 interface (or the AES67 “Ravenna” interface on the Merging NADAC) you either use something that can talk directly to them (which isn’t much outside of the pro-audio world), or you use a virtual sound card on a PC or Mac and then ANY player can route its sound via that and talk to the interface (and thereby your DAC).

I’ll likely still use Roon as my player/server with the RedNet 3.  I’ll just install the Dante (the protocol) Virtual Sound Card software on the same machine as Roon, and then in Roon select that sound card as my output just like I would any other available sound device in OS X “System Preferences”.

This would work with any other player, including those that will only talk to the “System Default” sound output, since you can just tell OS X to make the virtual sound card it’s default output.

--

That’s the simple version, anyway … for several scenarios.

I’ll try to break things down a bit more, and illustrate them properly, in my main thread on this subject.  This is as much as I want to derail this particular thread with details on this topic.

As to which sounds the best ... that's an excellent question and one to which my main thread on this subject will attempt to explore (at least for my purposes).  I will say that, so far, I've heard nothing but good things about the RedNet 3 device from people who's opinions I value and trust, so I have good optimism in that direction.  It's also a bit cheaper, if a little fiddlier, than the Aries solution (unless you buy the LE).

In the mean time, if you've not already, you should check out @johnjen's thread on "The DIY'rs Cookbook", probably starting with this post, as he, and others, are exploring the RedNet devices in some detail there.

Hope it helps!

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #543 of 1,366
For those that don't have eidetic memories ...

I've added the SimAudio Moon Evolution 780D to the "no longer going to audition" list.  This is no reflection on SimAudio or the product itself, as I have generally high regard for the former, and no experience of the latter.  But at this point I'm looking to trim the list a bit, and based on what I've heard so far I'm not going to spend $15,000 on an ESS based DAC (and probably not any D/S CoTS based converter at a similar price), so I'm removing it from the list in the dual interests of preserving my sanity and getting to decision a little quicker.

Still tempted to put a 430 HAD on the boat though ... 

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #544 of 1,366
  I’ll try to break things down a bit more, and illustrate them properly, in my main thread on this subject.  This is as much as I want to derail this particular thread with details on this topic.

Is that going to be a different thread than this one?  I think I may have missed the link to it....

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #545 of 1,366
  Is that going to be a different thread than this one?  I think I may have missed the link to it....

Yes, it'll be a different thread.  And there's no link as of yet as I haven't started the thread.

I've been poking about writing up some introductory stuff on the subject, since there are enough options that it's a bit more involved than a simple DAC comparison, and once I have that in order I'll create the thread, start a list of units to be auditioned, and go from there.  I'll post in this thread with a link once I've started the other thread though.

I'm already starting to think about what additional units I might consider for that comparison.  On the "for sure" list will be the Auralic Aries, RedNet 3, SonicorbiterSE, PS Audio Network Bridge II (even though it only works with PS Audio DACs), the Linn DSM units (even though they're very expensive and not just interfaces ... they have some unique properties that are, I think, worth exploring here based on what I've heard so far).  And then other options as they make sense ... for example, it's likely I'll do a Raspberry Pi 3 w/ HiFiBerry Digi+ board and the Roon Bridge software.

I'll do the same sort of canvassing for input on other interfaces/streamers at the start of that thread though (since things like the Bryston BDA-3 and the exaSound PlayPoint are also potential candidates).

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #546 of 1,366
For those that don't have eidetic memories ...

I've added the SimAudio Moon Evolution 780D to the "no longer going to audition" list.  This is no reflection on SimAudio or the product itself, as I have generally high regard for the former, and no experience of the latter.  But at this point I'm looking to trim the list a bit, and based on what I've heard so far I'm not going to spend $15,000 on an ESS based DAC (and probably not any D/S CoTS based converter at a similar price), so I'm removing it from the list in the dual interests of preserving my sanity and getting to decision a little quicker.

Still tempted to put a 430 HAD on the boat though ... 

Yes please!

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #548 of 1,366
  I wish someone would make the same for 500-1000 range or something similar. This was an entertaining reading.

I agree this would be educational and entertaining. However, after reading through countless threads on at least 3 different audio websites for the last year +, I still believe the awards would likely go to the Bifrost and Gungnir Multibit models unless someone is looking for a piece of gear that has specific aesthetics or colorations.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #549 of 1,366
Hmmm ive only tried one of those models so i couldnt tell about the gungnir but i know this will sound ludicrous for some but i've listened to an audio-gd dac that i enjoyed more then the bifrost MB for example could be the synergie of all the gear but thats my experience :)...

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #550 of 1,366

Thank you very kindly, dear Brothers In Music (piggybacking the British rock band Dire Straits, if I may…), for rescuing a newbie trying to understand this incredibly complex paradigm of Audio over Ethernet (AoE)! 
regular_smile .gif

You managed to make this nontrivial task, especially for a totally non-technical person like yours truly, notably simpler. Thank you! 
regular_smile .gif

Please also accept my most sincere apologies for deviating the thread towards the “software” side of things, but it seems to me that the “software” and “hardware” in our discussion are simply the two faces of Janus. To see the whole picture, you have to consider both… 
wink_face.gif

I unreservedly support the idea of creating the thread providing some introductory stuff on the subject. Most definitely, this will help many audiophiles trying to harness the power of AoE! 
normal_smile .gif

Until then, I will refrain from asking my many questions (trivial, no doubt of that!) regarding the software/protocol side of your exciting journey, @Torq. Again, my sincere apologies. 
redface.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #551 of 1,366

Yes, it'll be a different thread.  And there's no link as of yet as I haven't started the thread.

I've been poking about writing up some introductory stuff on the subject, since there are enough options that it's a bit more involved than a simple DAC comparison, and once I have that in order I'll create the thread, start a list of units to be auditioned, and go from there.  I'll post in this thread with a link once I've started the other thread though.

I'm already starting to think about what additional units I might consider for that comparison.  On the "for sure" list will be the Auralic Aries, RedNet 3, SonicorbiterSE, PS Audio Network Bridge II (even though it only works with PS Audio DACs), the Linn DSM units (even though they're very expensive and not just interfaces ... they have some unique properties that are, I think, worth exploring here based on what I've heard so far).  And then other options as they make sense ... for example, it's likely I'll do a Raspberry Pi 3 w/ HiFiBerry Digi+ board and the Roon Bridge software.

I'll do the same sort of canvassing for input on other interfaces/streamers at the start of that thread though (since things like the Bryston BDA-3 and the exaSound PlayPoint are also potential candidates).

Spent the past couple days reading through this entire thread, and it was definitely very helpful, as I've been thinking of making the leap to Yggdrasil / Ragnarok (for both my headphones and a 2-channel loudspeaker setup).

Also a +1 that a separate thread on streamers / interfaces would be EXTREMELY helpful as sort of a primer to how many others are doing the setup. I'm laying the groundwork for my "mancave" in the next year or so, and this would be a big help.

Also, I think I read in the LCD-4 thread that you referred to your "fiance" - having just read through this thread with mentions of a "gf", I take it this is fairly recent? If so, congrats!

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #552 of 1,366
Torq, have you tried the Master 7 / NOS 7 from Audio-GD? Forgive me if I missed it. This, IMO, would probably be the most direct comparison to the Yggy when considering price. Both are R2R, though very different implementation, and both are reported to hit well above their price. I don't imagine it would be easy to procure one just for demo though.

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #554 of 1,366

Spent the past couple days reading through this entire thread, and it was definitely very helpful, as I've been thinking of making the leap to Yggdrasil / Ragnarok (for both my headphones and a 2-channel loudspeaker setup).

Also a +1 that a separate thread on streamers / interfaces would be EXTREMELY helpful as sort of a primer to how many others are doing the setup. I'm laying the groundwork for my "mancave" in the next year or so, and this would be a big help.

Also, I think I read in the LCD-4 thread that you referred to your "fiance" - having just read through this thread with mentions of a "gf", I take it this is fairly recent? If so, congrats!

Yes, my former girlfriend is now my fiancé ... I proposed to her on our last trip (did the actual asking on the Orient Express between London and Venice).

She is the one that's mostly responsible for my renewed pursuit of high-end headphone listening; she really only likes music to dance to and isn't much for just sitting and listening.  So rather than drive her insane with my speaker system for hours every day, I figured I'd just make sure I could listen via headphones when I want to - and one thing led to another ... 

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #555 of 1,366
@Torq, have you tried the Master 7 / NOS 7 from Audio-GD? Forgive me if I missed it. This, IMO, would probably be the most direct comparison to the Yggy when considering price. Both are R2R, though very different implementation, and both are reported to hit well above their price. I don't imagine it would be easy to procure one just for demo though.

I've tried the Master 7 (but not the NOS 7) and am fairly familiar with how it sounds.  I had it on the audition list for a bit ... and took it off when I re-organized the list of units into the first post (around the end of May, I think); it's going to stay off the list as well, as I've no interest in buying one (and just couldn't face doing a write-up for it at the moment anyway).  I just don't seem to get on with PCM-1704 based DACs for whatever reason.  Various designers insistence on adding more 1704s to their designs does not seem to lessen the "1704-ness" of them.

It's amusing to me how often this one comes up.  I should put a counter on the first page: "(0) Days since the Master 7 has been requested."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back