LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,366 of 2,040
  I have the choice of a regular or Infinity. Does anyone feel the extra power setting / extra filter is worth the extra money?

Currently running: Senn 600 / Senn 558, Koss Porta Pro, ATH-m40x, V-Moda XS / M-100....not sure if I need the extra power switch or filter setting. I've heard the 3rd filter setting is really not all it's cracked up to be and sounds worse than the original 2 filters.

Go with the Infinity, you won't regret the additional capabilities and SQ. Cheers 

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,367 of 2,040
My Senn 600s are balanced and I have a cable to run in balanced mode. I have a regular 2A but I'm going to buy a second 2A for the desktop setup (or headphone setup). I just am trying to figure out if I should go for another 2A or bite the bullet and buy an Infinity. Just not sure if the extra gain or filter are worth it for my equipment.

Oh haha, sorry, guess I misread you.
RMAA stands for Rightmark Audio Analyzer, it is a software tool for measuring device output properties like harmonic distortion etc... less important for actual listening experience I guess but it does give some basis for them to say "infinity performs better than vanilla" (how much of that is actually sensible to the listener is another matter...) though I believe v2 already performs quite well according to other posts I've read.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,370 of 2,040

What gain stage are you using for the V-Moda m-100?

I went through the entire cycle starting on low power and I must say, there was some very nice bass resonating! From there I went to
the 450 setting and boy, that is where the bass began to get HARDCORE! The highest setting with the V2+ was exhilarating, it almost
seemed as though the M-100's were shaking off of my head. The Infinity played the M-100's so loud and based them so hard that I
could hear the speakers popping, barely holding on! Dude, all I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! 

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,371 of 2,040
  I went through the entire cycle starting on low power and I must say, there was some very nice bass resonating! From there I went to
the 450 setting and boy, that is where the bass began to get HARDCORE! The highest setting with the V2+ was exhilarating, it almost
seemed as though the M-100's were shaking off of my head. The Infinity played the M-100's so loud and based them so hard that I
could hear the speakers popping, barely holding on! Dude, all I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! 

I run my m-100s on the highest setting as well. It sounds amazing on the 2A.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,372 of 2,040
Oh haha, sorry, guess I misread you.
RMAA stands for Rightmark Audio Analyzer, it is a software tool for measuring device output properties like harmonic distortion etc... less important for actual listening experience I guess but it does give some basis for them to say "infinity performs better than vanilla" (how much of that is actually sensible to the listener is another matter...) though I believe v2 already performs quite well according to other posts I've read.

According to the website, the 2A and Infinity are identical:

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N)
<0.01%
(GO2A, GO2A∞: -3dB THD+N additional performance boost)

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,373 of 2,040
According to the website, the 2A and Infinity are identical:

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N)

<0.01%
[COLOR=FF0000](GO2A, GO2A∞: -3dB THD+N additional performance boost)[/COLOR]

Cool, in the original campaign that only applied to the infinity versions. I have not used the 2a

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,374 of 2,040
HEY question for everyone --- On the V2+, can you use that without the battery? Will it run off of USB power only? Like, if the battery goes kaput, will it still continue to work? Thanks.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,375 of 2,040
HEY question for everyone --- On the V2+, can you use that without the battery? Will it run off of USB power only? Like, if the battery goes kaput, will it still continue to work? Thanks.

No. It has two seperate USB ports, one for charging, one for input from source, the input port doesn't supply power.
I actually haven't tried charging it while in use (having both ports plugged in), so can't say if that works, hopefully somoene with their unit on hand can chime in...

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,376 of 2,040

No. It has two seperate USB ports, one for charging, one for input from source, the input port doesn't supply power.
I actually haven't tried charging it while in use (having both ports plugged in), so can't say if that works, hopefully somoene with their unit on hand can chime in...

NEW QUESTION: Can the unit be unscrewed and the battery REPLACED if it dies? Thanks.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #1,377 of 2,040
NEW QUESTION: Can the unit be unscrewed and the battery REPLACED if it dies? Thanks.

On the 2nd gen case, I don't believe there is an easy way to replace the battery...might be a way to pry the case open, but would probably be more of a DIY project.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #1,378 of 2,040
  Just got a V2+ from a fellow Headfi member. Impressive sound on initial listen and will share impression with more time spent listening. Just a few technical observations:

1. When connected to my iPhone SE via CCK, it works fine in iOS 10. However, the volume drops a good 25% compared to connected to my Mac. Not really an issue, but peculiar. Probably not an LH issue and the volume control in iOS is just bad. Will look at other app options, but not super eager to buy the $50 one. Currently I have Onkyo HF and iAudiogate.

I use my iPhone 6S+ to V2+ Infinity to JH Audio Roxannes balanced. Although balanced mode is totally worth it for the sound quality, the Roxannes are very sensitive. The steps in the iOS 9 volume control are far too big with this setup, so I researched app options for iOS and settled on Volume Master from Component Studios. This works perfectly with the Spotify and Tidal apps, with a choice of increments including 0.1%, 0.5% 1.0%, 5%, or 10%. I use 0.5%.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,379 of 2,040

I use my iPhone 6S+ to V2+ Infinity to JH Audio Roxannes balanced. Although balanced mode is totally worth it for the sound quality, the Roxannes are very sensitive. The steps in the iOS 9 volume control are far too big with this setup, so I researched app options for iOS and settled on Volume Master from Component Studios. This works perfectly with the Spotify and Tidal apps, with a choice of increments including 0.1%, 0.5% 1.0%, 5%, or 10%. I use 0.5%.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I downloaded and it works seamless with Apple Music. On iAudiogate, only the volume works but that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back