LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
May 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #31 of 1,391
 this was the biggest surprise at the meet for me. I use the Geek Out 450 (GO450) as my main DAC for the compact size and because I did not think I was giving up much by going with it. I thought the GO450 was the best  Well, I was wrong. The GOV2 is simply better all across the board. There is more detail all throughout the whole audible range, the lower treble peak from the GO450 is no longer there, and there is a greater sense of space and air compared to GO450. I wish it wasn't such a huge difference, but it is. The GOV2 demolishes the GO450 in every way, and gets dangerously close to the performance of much bigger desktop DACs. I'm not a resolution guy, as tonality and balance are more important to me, but I could not help but be floored by the GOV2. Compared to the GOV2, the GO450 sounds like the bass is too boomy, too one note, and bleeds a bit too much into midrange, so it sounds warmer, and the power supply isn't well regulated, so noise or some other weirdness creeps up at lower treble and causes a peak here and there in that region. GOV2 is more musical, with better impact, more bass control, more bass details, more relaxed, natural midrange, and with the treble very smooth, airy, and spacious. Going back to the GO450 now sounds one note, slow, too warm, too intimate, and sometimes even a bit suffocating! Well, color me impressed, once again!

This was @Bill-P 's impression of the Geek Out V2, seems like it's more than just a subtle improvement.

May 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #32 of 1,391

This was @Bill-P 's impression of the Geek Out V2, seems like it's more than just a subtle improvement.

Wow. Any other collection of impressions I can read about?

May 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 1,391
Yes guys you're onto the right thread (above) for some genuine impressions on the new v2! I have personally met some of those members in person more than once and they have legit audiophile ears. I'm pretty sure the v2 is so much better than the 450!

PS- Purrin also was impressed by the v2, as mentioned last week on the main DAC thread

May 18, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 1,391
Hello guys, I just got an email from backer@lhlabs.com of LH Labs saying:

... "
If you've already made a reservation for your Geek Out V2 or V2+, we're asking you to confirm your pre-order by making your final payment on Indiegogo on Tuesday, May 19th at 12:00PMPacific time using a special perk called "Confirm Your Pre-order."  By utilizing the Indiegogo platform, you'll also now have the added ability to upgrade your pre-order Geek Out V2 to Geek Out V2+ and/or either of the V2 or V2+ Infinity editions.

By doing it this way, we'll make a splash on the first day of the campaign. This is important because we need to get into the Trending Now section of Indiegogo if we want new eyes to be opened to the awesomeness of high-end audio." ...

However, I recall with absolute certainty that When I originally pre-ordered the G.O. v2, it said that I will be only charged the $1 now, and the remaining balance before my item's scheduled ship date (batch 23 for me, November 25th according to their shipping date). I then checked my original confirmation email from LH Labs and it didn't say anything about the payment date, then I went to their website and it appears they have removed the section under this product's shipping dates that says when the charge will be made.

To me it seems this company is trying to scam us (again) with their fraudulent business practices by charging us much, much earlier than they said they will. So I responded to this email asking if my pre-order will still be valid if I don't pay tomorrow. (I wasn't expecting to pay until late November and I can't afford it yet.) I also noticed on their website the "contact us" button is not even working! 

So I recommend anybody who's pre-ordered to check their email (and junk folder) to see if they got this message, and if so and if this is really true then you should give them a piece of your mind, demanding that they honor their original agreement. 

I would like to mention that however bad this company's service is, their G.O. v2 products themselves are phenomenal and it's still worth getting your hands on these one way or another! 
beyersmile.png

May 18, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 1,391
  Hello guys, I just got an email from backer@lhlabs.com of LH Labs saying:

... "
If you've already made a reservation for your Geek Out V2 or V2+, we're asking you to confirm your pre-order by making your final payment on Indiegogo on Tuesday, May 19th at 12:00PMPacific time using a special perk called "Confirm Your Pre-order."  By utilizing the Indiegogo platform, you'll also now have the added ability to upgrade your pre-order Geek Out V2 to Geek Out V2+ and/or either of the V2 or V2+ Infinity editions.

By doing it this way, we'll make a splash on the first day of the campaign. This is important because we need to get into the Trending Now section of Indiegogo if we want new eyes to be opened to the awesomeness of high-end audio." ...

However, I recall with absolute certainty that When I originally pre-ordered the G.O. v2, it said that I will be only charged the $1 now, and the remaining balance before my item's scheduled ship date (batch 23 for me, November 25th according to their shipping date). I then checked my original confirmation email from LH Labs and it didn't say anything about the payment date, then I went to their website and it appears they have removed the section under this product's shipping dates that says when the charge will be made.

Got the same e-mail and remember the pre-order terms exactly as you laid them out.  Was happy to get my space in line for $1, with the balance at shipping.  Paying now for a wait of at least 6 months is not what I signed up for.

I still see this wording on the site though "* Please Note: $224 balance will be due prior to shipment on Geek Out V2 & the $499 balance will be due prior to shipment of Geek Out V2 Signature Edition" 

May 18, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #37 of 1,391

Paying now for a wait of at least 6 months is not what I signed up for.

I still see this wording on the site though "* Please Note: $224 balance will be due prior to shipment on Geek Out V2 & the $499 balance will be due prior to shipment of Geek Out V2 Signature Edition" 

I think I read on the forums that the product is actually available now? 
Yup, the wording is still there. It needs to be screenshotted.

May 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #38 of 1,391
  I think I read on the forums that the product is actually available now? 
Yup, the wording is still there. It needs to be screenshotted.

Batch 1 is scheduled for July 1.  I got in at Batch 22 which is November 18

Took a screenshot

May 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #39 of 1,391

Batch 1 is scheduled for July 1.  I got in at Batch 22 which is November 18

Took a screenshot

From Casey Hartwell, admin on the forums - Difference with this campaign is that Geek Out V2 & V2+ IS READY TO GO NOW. July shipping dates WILL be met since this is not a crowd-designed project. What you see is what you get. No added features. No special requests. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. This makes this campaign incredibly easy to manage and fulfill.

Take another screenshot of the shipping schedule.

May 18, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #40 of 1,391
So what's the point of Indiegogo for this one?

May 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #42 of 1,391
Here's the way I see what LH Labs did:

1. Release GO v2, w/o announcing Go v2+
2. Release limited infinity upgrade for GO v2
3. Release GO v2+ after GO v2, generating demand for GO v2+ upgrade, but providing no upgrade path
4. No infinity upgrade for GO v2+ but specs are published, generating demand to upgrade to infinity
and finally...
5. Start Indiegogo campaign after generating all these demands and shamelessly asking customers to pay upfront so they could get another TV interview.

Sorry.. done ranting.

May 18, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #43 of 1,391

3. Release GO v2+ after GO v2, generating demand for GO v2+ upgrade, but providing no upgrade path
4. No infinity upgrade for GO v2+ but specs are published, generating demand to upgrade to infinity
and finally...
5. Start Indiegogo campaign after generating all these demands and shamelessly asking customers to pay upfront so they could get another TV interview.

Sorry.. done ranting.

Nope, rant away. BAD business.

May 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #44 of 1,391

and finally...

Sorry.. done ranting.

WWhen you put it that way looks pretty bad doesn't it hmm

May 18, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #45 of 1,391
http://lhlabs.com/force/products-geek-out-v2/4131-geek-out-v2-discussion?start=75

Looks like full payment is due prior to the end of the indiegogo campaign.  Think they may be keeping my $1 and getting nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back