Lets Talk Metal
Aug 21, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #23,956 of 29,653
Maybe there should be a "Let's talk metalcore" thread. Lots of folks have been popping in to talk about core bands lately.

Ah, here we see the typical metal elitist, if it isn't thrash, death, or black metal then it isn't metal at all huh. I didn't see a thread called let's talk thrash so this thread is free for any metal genre. Trivium is a mix of both metalcore and thrash roots so you might want to reconsider your blatant "core" hate, not all "core" is generic emo with 0-0-0-0-0-0

youthful exuberance, steadfast stances on inconsequential issues, and whatever else Internet arguments are made of

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #23,957 of 29,653
  Hmmm...... Anybody here listen to as I lay dying or trivium?

Ah, here we see the typical metal elitist, if it isn't thrash, death, or black metal then it isn't metal at all huh. I didn't see a thread called let's talk thrash so this thread is free for any metal genre. Trivium is a mix of both metalcore and thrash roots so you might want to reconsider your blatant "core" hate, not all "core" is generic emo with 0-0-0-0-0-0

Love 'em or hate 'em, this Trivium video is among the funniest I have ever seen:

As for hardcore punk and metalcore...it does range wildly, from mainstream "emo" type of music to some of the most chaotic and extreme music out there. Two of the more extreme metalcore bands I like are Converge and Zao.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #23,959 of 29,653
Aug 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #23,960 of 29,653

1. @
  1. Music Alchemist

Well there is no song to hear in the post , only a release date, cover art and a slight sample of the music.Nothing to comment on really?

There is this demo stuff, but, who really knows what IT is?

You tagged me by posting my current avatar too? lol

That song has next to nothing to do with Meshuggah.

band: Fragment
song: Negative Patterns
album: Unknown
year: 2002
country of origin: Switzerland
produced by Fragment and Fredrik Thordendal of Meshuggah

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #23,962 of 29,653

I understand you're in a bad mood as per your posts in other threads as well but what kind of thought process is put behind your statement there? "Typical metal elitist" - all he did was hint he doesn't think of Metalcore as actual metal, whilst I don't realistically think of it as such either because I don't like it personally I'm not one to get into much detail when it comes to all the genres and sub genres.

Maybe he wasn't even being condescending, chances are he was due to the way he worded it but there's no need to lash out like that either - as said, I really don't care much for Metalcore but I respect the fact that certain bands that are classified as such have songs I enjoy here and there. Trivium are obviously a good band for example, I just don't like their music.

I don't understand people's hate for Metalcore either (not saying that was the case here), some of it is emo and depressing and I can see why people would frown upon that but still, generalizing is just so silly in my opinion. Everyone should just get along.

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #23,963 of 29,653

I understand you're in a bad mood as per your posts in other threads as well but what kind of thought process is put behind your statement there? "Typical metal elitist" - all he did was hint he doesn't think of Metalcore as actual metal, whilst I don't realistically think of it as such either because I don't like it personally I'm not one to get into much detail when it comes to all the genres and sub genres.

Maybe he wasn't even being condescending, chances are he was due to the way he worded it but there's no need to lash out like that either - as said, I really don't care much for Metalcore but I respect the fact that certain bands that are classified as such have songs I enjoy here and there. Trivium are obviously a good band for example, I just don't like their music.

I don't understand people's hate for Metalcore either (not saying that was the case here), some of it is emo and depressing and I can see why people would frown upon that but still, generalizing is just so silly in my opinion. Everyone should just get along.

Would it be fair for me to say thrash is not a metal genre? That would be considered outrageous wouldn't it.
I am not in a bad mood, I am just tired of hearing the same thing over and over, if people cannot accept that there are more genres than what they listen to, then I don't know what a genre is.

I respect that you take a neutral stance on a genre you don't listen to, but there is no need to assume one is angry simply because I do not agree with a corresponding person.  

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #23,964 of 29,653
Here's most of Soilwork's new compilation Death Resonance. Most of it is just bonus tracks from 2005 to 2015. The first track is a new song. The second track is a new song too but isn't in the stream below, probably because this only came out two days ago. Oh, and the last five tracks are 2016 mixes of the tracks.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Soilwork/Death_Resonance/587395

Aug 21, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #23,965 of 29,653
Hate to interrupt the blast-beats and cookie-monster vocals. But sometimes metal is just...HEAVY

All in good spirit, my metallic brothers and sisters...

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #23,966 of 29,653

I think many people don't realize how diverse metalcore is, or what metalcore even is in the first place. Firstly let us examine the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore

"Metalcore is a broad fusion genre of extreme metal and hardcore punk." So at the least, metalcore features elements from both extreme metal and hardcore punk. Saying it is not metal is just as absurd as saying that any other metal genre is not metal, since all the other metal genres have influences from all sorts of other types of music. Plus there are plenty of metal genres that, on average, are nowhere near as extreme as metalcore.

We're all familiar with the more mainstream metalcore style that is at times decried as emo pop metal...but here's a tiny sample of the more intense side of metalcore. Some of these bands/songs are just as (if not more) extreme as most black metal, death metal, thrash metal, and so on.

Converge

Zao

Today Is The Day

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Living Sacrifice

Heaven Shall Burn

ERRA

Lamb Of God

Some melodic death metal bands (like In Flames and Soilwork) also went on to integrate metalcore into their style.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #23,969 of 29,653
Aug 21, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #23,970 of 29,653
I wasn't being sarcastic or cynical earlier, I just honestly never considered metalcore to be actual metal. Does taking that designation away from it make it anything less than it is? Does music have to fall into the "metal family" in order to be credible? Of course not, but since I didn't (and don't) consider it to be metal (any more than nu-metal is metal... or Metallica heh), I just figure it ought to be discussed elsewhere. No need to get all up in arms and create a ten page drama over it... if you disagree with me, discuss it here anyway, I'm not a mod.

On with the show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back