LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #93 of 207
Quote:
Oh man that's gonna be sick. AR PH6? It's on my list of stages I'm looking at. Near the top actually. I recently picked the WTL Amadeus over the RP8. Though both are quite nice. I'd look at the Kuzma Stabi/Stogi combo as well. There's a ton if good stuff in that range but the Scout is a fine table.

Excited to get my Amadeus in. I picked it 1 because the wife liked the looks and 2 because the sand filled arm was soooo smooth to cue.

yeah, the ph6, new to vinyl so I can't see going any higher than that, at least until I build up my record collection.  I'll have to look into the Amadeus...
And thanks for the input, by the way, are you planning on bringing your vinyl rig to the meet on the 2nd?

Edit, read the gear list and see that you are
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #95 of 207
:D I laughed the first time I saw it, too. The looks grew on me a bit, but it was really using it that blew me away. It's absolutely the smoothest arm I've ever seen / used. You can drop it from high up and it'll sink down slowly just like a hydraulic lift would on a typical arm. It's quite impressive. It basically uses fishing line for a belt, too...

They actually have a lifetime free belt policy. Send a self addressed envelope and they'll send you a new belt. Generally a brilliant bit of engineering.

Quote:
LOL golf ball

Yes, I won't be bringing any cans (as I have none atm) but I should have my Leben 300XS, Amadeus TT, Dynavector 20X cart, and a Dynavector P75 stage I'll be borrowing.  Along with a bin full of records.

I really wanted one of the upper end Avid stages, but I think that's a pipe dream lately. Even the PH6 is higher than I'd like to end up atm. Strongly considering the Avid Pellar right now. Simple and elegant. 

Quote:
yeah, the ph6, new to vinyl so I can't see going any higher than that, at least until I build up my record collection.  I'll have to look into the Amadeus...
And thanks for the input, by the way, are you planning on bringing your vinyl rig to the meet on the 2nd?

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #96 of 207
Back on topic, I've heard the HD800 can be pretty amp sensitive I don't know about the LCD-3, has anyone heard either of them on a Lyr?  and thoughts on either...

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #97 of 207
Some talk in the LCD-3 amp thread that the Lyr is not an ideal match. The Mjolnir is the best Schiit amp for them currently from what I read in that thread.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #98 of 207
Quote:
Back on topic, I've heard the HD800 can be pretty amp sensitive I don't know about the LCD-3, has anyone heard either of them on a Lyr?  and thoughts on either...

I wrote about the LCD-2 r2 and HD800 on the Lyr here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580636/mini-review-schiit-lyr

I don't get why people look for low-cost amps for expensive headphones. If you're trying to actively cut corners on price, why not just get a cheaper headphone? And if you can afford either an HD800 or LCD-3, surely you can afford a better (pricier) amp than the Lyr? No offense intended against Schiit, but I haven't really been all that impressed by their amps so far (I've heard the Asgard, Lyr, and now the Magni). But I'm holding out hope for a great-sounding amp made by them some day. The quintessential amp recommendation I'd make for an Audeze/Senn combo would have to be a B22.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #99 of 207
Quote:

I wrote about the LCD-2 r2 and HD800 on the Lyr here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580636/mini-review-schiit-lyr

I don't get why people look for low-cost amps for expensive headphones. If you're trying to actively cut corners on price, why not just get a cheaper headphone? And if you can afford either an HD800 or LCD-3, surely you can afford a better (pricier) amp than the Lyr? No offense intended against Schiit, but I haven't really been all that impressed by their amps so far (I've heard the Asgard, Lyr, and now the Magni). But I'm holding out hope for a great-sounding amp made by them some day. The quintessential amp recommendation I'd make for an Audeze/Senn combo would have to be a B22.

There is no doubt that the transducers have a magnitude of more importance for the overall sound once you get a amp performing at a good enough level.

The Bottlehead Crack will drive and match the HD800 very good and it's only if you are an eccentric audiophile you go to the length of spending these big bucks for those extra few percent closer the the "perfect" sound.

The HD800 is perhaps the most amp picky headphone I have tried and beginners should be very aware of this if they don't want the HD800 to sound like a clinical tool, but in the case of the LCD-2 and LCD-3 they will sound fantastic out of a number of "lower" priced SS and tube amps. For example they sound spectacular with a number of my 70s receivers you can find for 50-300$ which swing a lot of voltage out of the headphone out as do the HE-500 / HE-6.

I think its's important to mention the diminish returns more often when it comes to amps, especially SS amps in my experience, so that beginners with not a lot of cash don't get a false picture.

I totally get where you are coming from and I feel the same way but it should be in the context of audio enthusiast with a good bank roll. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #100 of 207
Quote:

This is a good recommendation.  However, I've found the Audeze headphones to work very well with the BHA-1 and the Mjolnir.  The HD800 IMO not that great with either.  My current go to amp for the HD800 is my balanced M^3 with the AD8597 op amp.  Then the B22.  

This may all change once the GS-X mk2 arrives. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #101 of 207
Quote:

IME the Mjolnir is right up there with the best for LCD3s. Better than the ECBA and certainly better than the WA22
And if your source is slightly on the warmer side, the Mjolnir should work with the HD800s as well.
Agree with you on the Lyr but the Valhalla was pretty good with the HD800s.
If cost is no concern then the Apex Pinnacle is the best 
wink_face.gif
Got mine three days ago
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #102 of 207
Quote:
IME the Mjolnir is right up there with the best for LCD3s. Better than the ECBA and certainly better than the WA22
And if your source is slightly on the warmer side, the Mjolnir should work with the HD800s as well.
Agree with you on the Lyr but the Valhalla was pretty good with the HD800s.
If cost is no concern then the Apex Pinnacle is the best 
wink_face.gif
Got mine three days ago
very_evil_smiley.gif

Where are the impressions?
popcorn.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #103 of 207
Patience, my friend 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #104 of 207
Hmmm... I'm getting my HD800's today and received a pair of LCD-3's recently. I've been suffering along with the Lyr/BiFrost combo up till now and will get a chance to hear the HD800's tonight. Relief is in sight though, as I'll receive an Invicta next week and #19 Stratus sometime next month. Maybe I should contact Schitt and do a trade on the Lyr for a Mjolnir? I've been thinking about it while perusing this thread. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #105 of 207
Quote:
Hmmm... I'm getting my HD800's today and received a pair of LCD-3's recently. I've been suffering along with the Lyr/BiFrost combo up till now and will get a chance to hear the HD800's tonight. Relief is in sight though, as I'll receive an Invicta next week and #19 Stratus sometime next month. Maybe I should contact Schitt and do a trade on the Lyr for a Mjolnir? I've been thinking about it while perusing this thread. 

Congrats on that Stratus! Up to #19 already, mine is #11 and I've had it for about 2 months now. Just sublime with the HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back