LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
Feb 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #121 of 207
Quote:
Nice choice. 
size]

Best I've heard with my LCD-3s, HD-800s and TH-900s. Heck, even my IEMs are fantastic with it using unity gain.

Very true,

A very versatile amp in all ways.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #122 of 207
Quote:

Correct.

I'll take a well built 4 channel B22 over the Mjolnir any day of the week.  IMO the Mjolnir is "only" really, good is with the LCDs.  

I lived with the BHA-1 and the B22 for months.  The BHA-1 really can't touch the B22 in now way except sounding really good with the LCDs as well.  

When we start talking about a wider range of headphones from low impedance to high impedance - The B22 will be way more versatile and sound better with more headphones.  This has been my experience.  

Now something just as powerful as the B22 and Mjolnir with a gain switch will lead to being more versatile as well.  The BHA-1 has a 2 position gain switch + the SE out sounds like Shcitt  

The new GS-X or even the new Statement amp from Schiit should take over when both are out in the wild.  

As for now a well built B22 is still very hard to beat because it just sounds better with more headphone types.

Without a doubt the B22 is super versatile. I agree with you about the Mjolnir being exceptional with the LCD's.
I haven't heard the HD800's on Mojo, however I've heard the HD800 on the BHA-1 and preferred it to  the B22, for example.

Of course, we're all going to have differing opinions and preferences. 

I was merely looking at things broken up and not a total package. (if you want 1 amp to round out a vast hp collection B22 is a good choice)

No amp is perfect, etc etc.

My argument also accounted for the vastly easier availability of the aforementioned over the B22.

I tend to take 1 headphone and try to extract the most I can out of it using the best amp for the job.

In my situation, I found the BHA-1 preferred over all for HD800, Mojo w/LCD-3, etc etc.

Personally, the B22 has fallen down the list. 

Unlike comparatively the DS (even though its value sucks) the SQ is still very good, the same goes with the GS-X (now even more improved).

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #123 of 207
Quote:
I tend to take 1 headphone and try to extract the most I can out of it using the best amp for the job.

In my situation, I found the BHA-1 preferred over all for HD800, Mojo w/LCD-3, etc etc.

Personally, the B22 has fallen down the list. 

If I had to pick one amp to do it all.  It would be the GS-X or the B22 because they just simply sound better with more headphones.  

I would never base my decision to buy an amp on one headphone.  I use a vast variety of headphones and IMO the Mjolinr is not the amp for that kind of application.  The BHA-1 is more so than the MJ, even still the B22 and the GS-X will win every time.

Even though the new GS-X is not out yet.  I'm pretty much going on the GS family of amps and my old GS-1.

GS-X --> B22 --> BHA-1 --> Mjolnir.    I have no experience with the Soloist.  I only lived with the Burson 160D and I'll pass on that one.

I have much hope for the Statement amp to be a more versatile Mj type of amp.  Because if the Mj had a utility gain switch I would own one in a heart beat.  But for the application I need it for - It just won't work.

Of course, If I only owned the LCD-3/2 I would also own the MJ - case closed.  However, I don't, for my application flexibility is needed and the Mj does not give me that.

For the HD800 the B22 wins hands down IMO when compared to these other amps.  The HD800 with the BHA-1 is good, however it still will give you that harsh treble at times the B22 won't.  The B22 will aid in the support of the bass weight the HD800s need.  IMO the BHA-1 has a hard time with that. Other people may see it or hear it different.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #124 of 207
Quote:

If I had to pick one amp to do it all.  It would be the GS-X or the B22 because they just simply sound better with more headphones.  

Everything I spew is just my opinion and specific to my use case.

I have no argument about either B22 or GS-X being the one amp best with a plethora of cans.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #125 of 207
Just a quick FYI.. the new GS-X is the old GS-X on higher rails and bias with different part selection, new quality of life features.  No change to the amp circuit.

The order may change as my new amps arrive to test on the PWD2 but on the W4S I had at the time...

Soloist > B22 > GS-1 > Mjolnir

Biggest problem I had with the Mjolnir was tonal balance being top tilted compared to the Peak using an overly dynamic sharp sounding tube.

When my B22 and GS-X arrive I'll be able to confirm if it's a matter of scaling and honest truth.  Will say this.  On the W4S and Stello DACs the HD800 just wasn't worth listening to.  With the PWD2 and Soloist, it's awesome.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #126 of 207
Quote:
Just a quick FYI.. the new GS-X is the old GS-X on higher rails and bias with different part selection, new quality of life features.  No change to the amp circuit.

While I would like the 4 pin XLR, the extra juice for the new model GS-X would really only be appreciated with the HE-6s IMO. So for preproman, it would be a great feature as he's a big fan of them. For someone like me (not planning on re-buying the HE-6s), the original GS-X (with the upgraded modules) is a fantastic solution and hits all the notes that I need (from my Westone 4s to my all of my full sized dynamic cans). No reason to change the amp circuit as this is still the cleanest, most transparent (wire with gain) amp I've owned. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #128 of 207
Quote:
[...]

When my B22 and GS-X arrive I'll be able to confirm if it's a matter of scaling and honest truth.  Will say this.  On the W4S and Stello DACs the HD800 just wasn't worth listening to.  With the PWD2 and Soloist, it's awesome.

Halleluja! Will the HD800 stay this time?

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #129 of 207
Looking that way.  But could be the honeymoon period though.  Will see how the A/B goes when my cables arrive.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #132 of 207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back