LCD-2 + (Schitt Lyr vs. Headroom Balanced)
May 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #76 of 95
Your right on that one Grokit, they have a Very Nice Looking Lovely in this issue. That outlet by MIT Cables is the same price thru them also, I sent an Email Mr. Loughlin in hope's He might have a solution for Deadie.

May 10, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #78 of 95
On the Cavalli website for the Liquid Fire, I noticed the following in the Features section:
"Regulated DC Heater Supply for Hum-Free Operation"

Could this be something the Lyr doesn't implement and could perhaps be contributing to the Lyr's intermittent hum issues?
Could any of the engineers/tube afficionados/etc. comment on this aspect of the Lyr design?

May 10, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #80 of 95
From the horse's mouth: "The transformer will easily supply the heater current." I would assume that this is the main transformer he's talking about, in the context of providing the DC current needed for the Valhalla 6N1P tubes. As opposed to a separate DC heater circuit.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/10.html

May 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #81 of 95
On the Cavalli website for the Liquid Fire, I noticed the following in the Features section:

Could this be something the Lyr doesn't implement and could perhaps be contributing to the Lyr's intermittent hum issues?
Could any of the engineers/tube afficionados/etc. comment on this aspect of the Lyr design?

I would think that the hum is due to a sensitivity to ground loops. I hear NOTHING in terms of hum with my Lyr and so do the majority of owners.

May 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #82 of 95

Quote:
Quote:

I would think that the hum is due to a sensitivity to ground loops. I hear NOTHING in terms of hum with my Lyr and so do the majority of owners.

I heard hum out of the Lyr, even with the LCD-2 but not with the K701 or HE-6 so I think it depends on the sensitivity of the headphone. I've never had a ground loop problem with any of my gear at this location, but a cheater plug seemed to help a bit so they Lyr may be somewhat sensitive to dirty power. It also could have been the NOS tubes, I may not have given them enough time to settle down. But I've never had a hum or noise with any amp before I tried the Lyr, except out of some IEMs with amps that had too much gain for them.

May 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #83 of 95

I heard hum out of the Lyr, even with the LCD-2 but not with the K701 or HE-6 so I think it depends on the sensitivity of the headphone. I've never had a ground loop problem with any of my gear at this location, but a cheater plug seemed to help a bit so they Lyr may be somewhat sensitive to dirty power. It also could have been the NOS tubes, I may not have given them enough time to settle down. But I've never had a hum or noise with any amp before I tried the Lyr, except out of some IEMs with amps that had too much gain for them.

The Lyr doesn't Humm with any of my tubes and the LCD2's sounds like you have some power issues

May 11, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #84 of 95
Maybe but none of my other amps have noticed it.

May 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #86 of 95

Maybe it's tube dependent too as I've almost exclusively used my Genalex Gold Lions and hear zero hum with my LCD-2s.

May 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #87 of 95

Maybe it's tube dependent too as I've almost exclusively used my Genalex Gold Lions and hear zero hum with my LCD-2s.

Yeah I have zero hum with all my tubes you have some dirty power running through those lines

May 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #88 of 95

Quote:
... I gotta figure out if I should invest $$ in a hum solution for that room, or move my transporter + amp headphone system to somewhere else in the house...  Not sure if this matters, but this is a fairly new 4 year old house.

Assuming 1/2 your new house is on one phase of your main and the other half on the other phase, your hum could easily manifest in 1/2 the outlets in your house, not just one room. Before you spend much $$, you might want to spend some time tracking down the source.

May 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #89 of 95
Finally back from new job training, been out of town for a while.

New Lyr arrived today, in went the Lions and... still hum.  But, that's pretty much that, I'm resigned that it's my home power.

Jason and Schitt have been very positive and responsive to work with, just an ideal vendor experience.  I love the sound that the LCD-2 + Lyr combo produces -- better synergy than my balanced Headroom Desktop, pretty much why I decided to return to the Lyr.

The amp is burning in and I'll go through the history of this thread and others on the forum to find solutions to this blasted hum problem.  Thanks all for your ongoing help.

May 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #90 of 95
Quote:
...  New Lyr arrived today, in went the Lions and... still hum.  But, that's pretty much that, I'm resigned that it's my home power ...

I guess if there's still a shadow of doubt that it is your home's power then you could try it at a friend's house.  Your friend could have similar power issues as well but if it doesn't hum then you know it's the power for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back