LCD-2 + (Schitt Lyr vs. Headroom Balanced)
May 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #62 of 95
Hey guys - it's all the news.

Bad - No hum heard on my Lyr at Schitt.  They even used a LCD-2, so it's def my power.

Good - Jason and everyone there have been responsive and very willing to help.  I've decided to go for a replacement unit and roll the dice with that.  The amp just sounds too good with the LCD-2.

Bummer - Lyr's too hot of a product, new units won't be shipping until next week sometime.  Ah, I can wait.  Kind of gives me time to decompress, get perspective. 

And figure out what I'm going to do with my effing power!  gah!

May 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 95
That totaly blow's, have You had trouble with any of the other amp's You have owned as far as the hum goes?

May 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #64 of 95

Quote:
Hey guys - it's all the news.
Bad - No hum heard on my Lyr at Schitt.  They even used a LCD-2, so it's def my power.
And figure out what I'm going to do with my effing power!  gah!

What have you tried for the AC? If there is DC on the line that can cause problems. This is often injected by commercial facilities with large equipment and you can pick up noise from air conditions on the line from and I guess you have checked out a possible ground loop and also reversed the plug orientation or checked to make sure that neutral is neutral on your AC outlet. 

May 3, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #65 of 95
So here's the DL

In that room, I've had mid-level receivers, to higher end ones, now finally to a Marantz Processor with Emotiva's XPA-2 amp.  Not hyper-audiophile, but still, some good stuff.

All have emitted hum & hiss.  I've just dismissed it as "well sht, that's just the way it goes with this mid-level stuff".  I bought the Richard Gray power brick in hopes that it'd improve things or at least prove that I've done all I can for the situation.

With the processor and amp on, with the source off, I can hear hum / hiss in my speakers if I put my ear right up against the tweeter.  Thankfully it's inaudible from seating position.

We know the Lyr hums in the room.

What's pretty maddening, is why my Headroom Balanced Desktop amp has absolutely no hum.  It produces hiss at the very very max volume, but no hum.

So my house...

It's new construction, in a new master planned community, within a few miles of commercial buildings.

So far the Humbuster and the Triplite isolation transformer were both busts.

I suppose if no 3rd party product can eliminate the hum, then I've got to seek out an electrician.  I'm not averse to doing that... it's just more time, more money in this pursuit of perfection.

May 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #67 of 95
I just borrowed a magazine from a friend called Audio Advisor and they a wall outlet in there that is fairly new. It's called
MIT Z Duplex 20A Super In-Wall AC Conditioner and it's $199. thru them, I would check with MIT and see if possibly could solve the problem.

Has anyone else heard of this product? Let's get some input for Deadie here, I feel frustrated for You My Friend!

May 3, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #68 of 95
Audio Advisor charges the max price and I stopped dealing with them in the late 1990's. You can normally get the product from someone else at a better price and while they have a return policy, if you use it they will not allow you to do it again. They are also more mid and low fi than hi end. 

I lived in a pretty new condo once. The transformer located very near my listening room was noisy, though it was a new installation. It turned out to be just a used one moved from a different location by the power company in Tucson. I complained of the humming, which I would not have noticed had the transformer been located so close (the audible hum came from the transformer). So they replaced the transformer with a new one, which turned out to be very quiet and wow, my equipment also got quieter. It was the best electrical upgrade I have ever had. So even in a new community, you don't know if the power is "new". 

May 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #69 of 95
THat MIT unit only mentions filtering AC power, not DC like the CIA one.

May 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #70 of 95
I just borrowed a magazine from a friend called Audio Advisor and they a wall outlet in there that is fairly new. It's called
MIT Z Duplex 20A Super In-Wall AC Conditioner and it's $199. thru them, I would check with MIT and see if possibly could solve the problem.

Has anyone else heard of this product? Let's get some input for Deadie here, I feel frustrated for You My Friend!

Sounds like a fancy name for a ac line conditioner I use a furman to plug my audio stuff into 199 seems high for such a device sounds like a ripoff for people that dont know what a line conditioner is

May 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #71 of 95
I built a AC power supply that blocks DC by using a special transformer meant for this purpose. The transformer alone weighs over 50 pounds and that is all copper. It will hum when there is more DC on the line but it sure blocks it. Because of the current it can pass, it works fine for everything, including the mono blocks. 

May 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #72 of 95
I built a AC power supply that blocks DC by using a special transformer meant for this purpose. The transformer alone weighs over 50 pounds and that is all copper. It will hum when there is more DC on the line but it sure blocks it. Because of the current it can pass, it works fine for everything, including the mono blocks. 

cool

May 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #73 of 95
Yes, I can't imagine how much the transformer would cost now since copper has taken a huge leap in price since I bought it 7 years ago. It sure is a pain to move around but does a great job. 

May 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #74 of 95
Hey Guy's I know Audio Advisor way to high in price that's why I said check thru MIT and I thought maybe someone knew something more of it. Just giving Deadie another option, I just want Him to enjoy His Lyr.

May 3, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #75 of 95
Audio Advisor is great with returns though, and that kind of policy costs money. I didn't see anyone else selling the V-Link any cheaper, and for purchases like that I always check out AA. Really cute model ladies in that catalog of theirs too.

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread but if anyone wants a V-Link check them out lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back