LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jun 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #256 of 1,111
I think classical and jazz is where the LCD-2 excels. It doesn't do as well as some other headphones in Death metal, metal, hard rock, hip-hop where you would need a brighter headphone with more bass impact. 

I think you are completely wrong the LCD-2's do fine with Death metal, metal, hard rock, hip-hop. Brightness is not just determined by the headphones but your whole audio chain. Now maybe your chain is dark or something but mine sounds awesome with this type of music.
And the LCD-2's are known for their Bass..

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #257 of 1,111

Quote:
Quote:
I think classical and jazz is where the LCD-2 excels. It doesn't do as well as some other headphones in Death metal, metal, hard rock, hip-hop where you would need a brighter headphone with more bass impact. 

I think you are completely wrong the LCD-2's do fine with Death metal, metal, hard rock, hip-hop. Brightness is not just determined by the headphones but your whole audio chain. Now maybe your chain is dark or something but mine sounds awesome with this type of music.
And the LCD-2's are known for their Bass..

If you carefully read my statement, I said it doesn't "do as well" in those genres.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #258 of 1,111
Love this thread!

I am a huge Wagner fan (I have three different versions of the ring cycle!) and find the LCD's really capture the atmosphere of Wagner. Mozart's Clarinet concerto K622 is sublime with them as well.
Jazz is another area which the LCD's are great at. I have a fairly wide range of Jazz interest but I think the Bill Evans live at the Village Vanguard sessions sound quite remarkable with the LCD's.

Another area of music I love is bluegrass/American roots country/folk. Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Kathy Mattea, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin. Female vocals are beautiful with these. Then again the Clash and Sex Pistols are pretty darn good as well and then Eighties electronic like Ultravox, Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk all work wonderfully as well.

I guess what I am getting at is I have yet to find a genre it does not work well with. I am not really into modern pop or what they laughingly call R'nB, Rhianna, Beyonce and such (I am an old fart and R'nB to me is something very different) so I don't really know what they are like with heavily compressed music that those genres tend to be.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #259 of 1,111
^^ Female vocals are outstanding, second only to the R10 in my opinion. What I love about the LCD-2 is that they are outstanding in every genre and if there is another headphone that bests them at a certain genre it's by a small margin.
On a side note, just noticed we both have the same number of posts (I'm 1 more now) 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #260 of 1,111
^^ Female vocals are outstanding, second only to the R10 in my opinion. What I love about the LCD-2 is that they are outstanding in every genre and if there is another headphone that bests them at a certain genre it's by a small margin.
On a side note, just noticed we both have the same number of posts (I'm 1 more now) 
biggrin.gif

As my hero Sheldon cooper would say. With this post I am the same as you now..Bazinga!

Female vocals are simply amazing and that they compare so well to the wonderful Sony is high praise indeed!

Another album I want to mention is one I just got today. It is so beautiful and it is so obvious that the album is a true labour of love for both musicians.
The Album is called, Praising peace, a tribute to Paul Robeson by leon Bibb and Eric Bibb. Simply sublime and the sort of music the LCD's were made for IMHO.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #261 of 1,111
No recommendation thread would be complete without at least 1 Eva Cassidy cd. Here is a rare one.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #262 of 1,111
No recommendation thread would be complete without at least 1 Eva Cassidy cd. Here is a rare one.

voice of an Angel and sadly now is one. Excellent choice.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #264 of 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good one. Excellent performances of The Chain and I'm so Afraid. 

Two of my favourites also. The whole album is great from start to end.

Big Love is amazing. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #265 of 1,111
Agreed and thank you for the reminder.  I have all of her CDs and been so busy with other music that I forgot to try her music on the LCD-2.  A must for this weekend.  
My top albums of hers are Imagine, Live at Blues Alley, Songbird, and the more recent compilation album Somewhere is pretty good.
You can pretty much plan on getting all of her early music or become a diehard fan like a lot of us and just get it all.  You'll find song gems in even the later stuff, some of which they put out after she died and may not have been her best material.
She died way too soon.

Quote:

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #266 of 1,111
You probably should try  Simply Eva . Decently recorded and just her and her guitar.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #267 of 1,111
 She's one of the Audiophile Holy Trinity: Eva Cassidy, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall.  Below them are the archangels, Holly Cole, Jacintha and Cassandra Wilson.  Below them, the young upstarts, Melody Gardot (my favorite in this bunch), and Madeleine Peyroux (new album just out, but my favorite is still her first).

From this group, here are a few of my favorites:

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #268 of 1,111
...and two bonus albums that this recent tangent of female jazz vocalists that this brought to mind.  These are two that have gobs O' bass for you bass heads who love to exploit that quality of the LCD-2's reproduction range.  These are both just a female vocalist with a standup bass...both of these are outstanding:

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #269 of 1,111
Oh, and Melody Gardot can do no wrong in my book, so here's one more:

If you ever get a chance to see her perform live, don't miss it.  She is magnetic, sophisticated and a class act.  Her live performance is outstanding.  Her story is quite amazing and very inspiring.  On stage she comes of old beyond her years (in a very good way). 

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #270 of 1,111

Quote:
 She's one of the Audiophile Holy Trinity: Eva Cassidy, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall.  Below them are the archangels, Holly Cole, Jacintha and Cassandra Wilson.  Below them, the young upstarts, Melody Gardot (my favorite in this bunch), and Madeleine Peyroux (new album just out, but my favorite is still her first).

From this group, here are a few of my favorites:

I love all these artist and they are accomplished and talented contemporaries and I enjoy them immensely but for me none of them can hold a candle to Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Betty Carter, Carmen McRae, Sarah Vaughan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back