Lawrence's brand new Zero DAC/AMP burned up my Senn's!!
Oct 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #31 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopter34234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am filing a complaint with paypal. Does anyone know if paypal will give me my money back. Would I have to pay for the $40 to ship it back?

I think paypal only covers problems when you buy trough ebay, you didn't correct?

Anyway, from experience paypal (ebay auction) will require you to send the product back, and with proof (Tracking/signature).

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 98
Quote:

I am filing a complaint with paypal. Does anyone know if paypal will give me my money back. Would I have to pay for the $40 to ship it back?

wait, you're filing a complaint before hearing back from him on whether he'll refund you?
seriously What. way to jump the gun.

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #33 of 98
Quote:

especially before even giving him a chance to repair/replace the unit and make things right.

I know I was a little heavy handed in my wording, I probably should been a little more patient for sucessive responses. I know that you catch more flies with honey etc. but honestly I was pretty sure of how he was going to respond based on what other members said of how he dealt with them when they had problems. I did do research on this forum regarding any other problems people have had with Lawrence and his Zeros. Several members had chips installed backwards which caused them to be DOA. It is easy to prove that this was completely Lawrence's fault, yet he wouldn't send another until they send their's back (at a cost of around $40). Therefore there is no reason to believe that he would be any more charitable to me when I can't even necassarily prove that it was his fault. Also he typically doesn't answer emails for several days. In no case did he offer any other option other than shipping it back. One member responded by simply fixing it himself at his own cost. The fact of the matter in these cases where the chips were installed backwards, the units were DOA and even the simplest test on Lawrence's end could have seen this, which to me proves that he does ship some units without even testing them. These DOA units were received only a few months ago so unless he recently drastically changed his QC policies, it sheds some doubt on the current batches being completely tested. And besides, do you really believe him that it is most likely damaged in shipping if there was absolutely no visible damage internally or externally. His answer was a clear cop out.

I at least waited for his initial response which was to send it back on my own dime, wait for him to prod around, and then he will do something, oh and that he was sorry. Basically the same resolution that everyone else got. What would make me think that upon successive emails he will decide to pay for everything and ship out a new one immediately. I want to listen to my music, not wait another month and pay another $40 for something that seems very likely to be his fault. It is very easy to claim that "Highly probably something happen during transportation" and then take no responsiblity for my damaged headphones, wasted time and money. It was pretty clear from his response that he wasn't going to take responsiblity for any of it.

Quote:

wait, you're filing a complaint before hearing back from him on whether he'll refund you?

I never ended up filing it. I was considering it so that these events could be documented with paypal from the start. Also I was hoping I could get some leverage in getting a full refund (including the original shipping) and possibly compensation on the ship back.

Say what you want about me being an ******* and jumping the gun but I think everyone pretty much knows how this is going to end. From his past policy, he clearly doesn't operate out of charity by any stretch, at least my email gave him some incentive to response in my favor. I am going to have to ship it back ($40), my headphones are toast ($50), and maybe if I'm lucky he won't claim that the initial shipping was nonrefundable and I will get the full $200 I paid back and not just $160. However, that is probably unlikely, I probably will lose $130 because of this.

Update: I emailed Lawrence back and apologized for being so aggressive in my response and to please understand the stress the situation has put on me. I asked if I sent him the package back if he will refund me the full $200. I said that it would only be fair since I will already incur a $90 loss.

It is really frustrating losing that much money but I guess it could always be worse so I am just going to try and forget about it for now. I will ship back the Zero tommorrow. I figure my HD497's getting burned up is good excuse to buy better ones. I never wanted to badmouth Lawrence or ruin the guy's reputation but I do think that letting everyone else know the exact situation was a good idea. It was through recommendations from Head-fi posts that lead me to deal with Lawrence in the first place, unfortunately I didn't read about the mishaps until after. People should be aware that when they buy from Lawrence, if they receive a DOA (and this has happened several times) they will have to pay at least $40 more and wait several weeks to get a functioning one. This seems to be a real issue with some sellers from China and it should be something that people are aware of. Other sellers from China have made it clear that they will protect the customer from being screwed in such circumstances, therefore there is no reason to deal with ones who show that they won't.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #34 of 98
As a result of this, I've updated my Zero FAQ to recommend buying through eBay in case this kind of thing happens.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #35 of 98
Quote:

Dear Wendy,

Nice to hear from you again! If you check my feedback, basically I am a honest seller and I selling for many many years. Zero is design in a very unit and simply structure and this enable for us to replace the parts in a simply way.
I am sorry I want to ask to a question before I diagnose which part is faulty.
Is it function properly if you use analog output ( not headphone or pre amp out )?

If it function properly, then the problem is the headphone amp board.
It is very easy to take it out and shipping it back is cheap!
Thank you very much !

Best regards,
Lawrence

Well, I don't know who Wendy is (that is not my name) but he did not answer any of my questions regarding a refund. He also did not answer my other emails from Thursday asking what his return mailing address is. Shipping back the amp board is still $20. I feel like I am talking to a computer.

Update (10-26-08):
Quote:

I decided to start a dispute through Paypal, I will explain why. Starting a dispute means that you will start communicating with the seller about the problem through paypal so that all email transactions are documented with Paypal. You have 45 days from the date of payment to file a dispute with Paypal, after that, you are on your own. Also if you do file a dispute and then escalate the dispute to a claim and win, Paypal can only refund you up to the value that the seller has in his current Paypal balance. If you file a claim you never received a $1000 item and if Paypal sides with you but the seller has no balance in his Paypal account, you get nothing (I think you get up to $300 protection if the item was purchased through eBay). That is why you should file a dispute as soon as possible, because once you start the dispute, Paypal will freeze the amount in dispute from being withdrawn from the seller's account.

I am sure that Lawrence is a great guy but I believe he screwed up the mod and is blaming it on shipping damage withouth any real justification. Also I see that he has had several accounts of Paypal disputes in his Ebay feedback. This really destroys my confidence in him, therefore I really do not want to waste more time, deal with the clear language barrier to communication, and risk getting screwed further by sending back individual parts and working with him to troubleshoot what went wrong. Frankly, I don't think that he deserves my business and therefore I would feel much more comfortable getting a full refund (even if I have to pay $40 to ship it back to China) and purchasing from a more reputable dealer.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #36 of 98
it sounds like he's allowing you to ship back only the part that really needs fixing. that should save some money and maybe even time if you can use faster shipping.

I also suggest cross shipping (in the US, we do that a lot to get the returns process working faster) but a lot of the rest of the world has not quite gotton the hang of the 'cross ship'.

it really is better than returning a whole big huge box...

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #38 of 98
So I am still waiting for Lawrence's email about what his return shipping address is. He has been ignoring my emails so I filed a Paypal dispute a week ago and today I escalated it to a Paypal claim and got an immediate response.

Quote:

You have chosen to escalate your dispute to a PayPal claim. By ending communication with the seller, you are asking PayPal to investigate the case and decide the outcome. As part of our investigation, PayPal reviewed any communication you may have had in the Resolution Center.

Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.

I called Paypal and asked them if I filed a chargeback from my credit card company would they suspend my Paypal account. They said no. I believe if a chargeback occurs they just take it from the sellers account. Unfortunately I only payed for $161.98 through my credit card, $38.02 came from my Paypal balance, so I will certainly not see that again.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #39 of 98
Wow, that sucks. I just hope Lawrence solves the situation, and so that you don't have any costs. I don't know if Lawrence knows but this is probably really bad for his business. I'm sure head-fiers won't buy from him in the future, I know I won't.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #40 of 98
So I filed a dispute with my credit card company and they are working on the case but they say that they need a letter from a professional indicating that the device is defective.

Quote:

* Please provide an opinion from a licensed professional (on company letterhead) stating that the merchandise does not work properly.

I called them and questioned whether they really needed such a letter given the obvious circumstances but they maintained that it is company policy and it is required to make a solid claim. They said that the claim might seem like a compatability issue when they argue it such that the headphones weren't compatable with the amp and that is why they melted. They also said I couldn't use my own "professional opinion."

Therefore could someone who is a "licensed professional" please write me a letter on company letterhead stating that an amplifier with a DC voltage on its output of 12 volts is certainly defective and would destroy any headphone or speaker hooked up to it. The DC voltage should be as close to zero as possible. Also state the fact that the melting of a pair of earbuds is a sign of an internal defect of the amp such as a failed component or mistake during manufacturing. I'm sure any professional related to electronics or audio would suffice because the requirement for the letter is such a technicallity to begin with.

I know that this is a pain in the ass and I hate to ask for such a favor but it could save me $170 and I can't do it myself. Thanks!

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #41 of 98
Quote:

So I filed a dispute with my credit card company and they are working on the case but they say that they need a letter from a professional indicating that the device is defective.

I called them and questioned whether they really needed such a letter given the obvious circumstances but they maintained that it is company policy and it is required to make a solid claim. They said that the claim might seem like a compatability issue when they argue it such that the headphones weren't compatable with the amp and that is why they melted. They also said I couldn't use my own "professional opinion."

Therefore could someone who is a "licensed professional" please write me a letter on company letterhead stating that an amplifier with a DC voltage on its output of 12 volts is certainly defective and would destroy any headphone or speaker hooked up to it. The DC voltage should be as close to zero as possible. Also state the fact that the melting of a pair of earbuds is a sign of an internal defect of the amp such as a failed component or mistake during manufacturing. I'm sure any professional related to electronics or audio would suffice because the requirement for the letter is such a technicallity to begin with.

I know that this is a pain in the ass and I hate to ask for such a favor but it could save me $170 and I can't do it myself. Thanks!

No licensed professional is going to make you a letter without confirming the issue personally.

Take the unit a local electronics store and have them make the diagnosis / letter, you will probably be charged for the diagnose service FYI.

The credit card company is not requesting you to submit a letter that states "an amplifier with a DC voltage on its output of 12 volts is certainly defective and would destroy any headphone or speaker hooked up to it", they are requesting you to submit a letter that states THE PARTICULAR UNIT outputs such headphone "lethal" voltages, and as such is defective.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #42 of 98
The construction of this product is absolutely lousy. There are at least three burned resistors on the board containing the LTC1364 chips. The circuit layouts are pretty poor overall. There are components which don't even fit the footprints they were stuffed into.

I myself don't buy ANY electronics which has been built in China. The larger manufacturers don't build products and get 100% yield. They are usually paid per lot, not per working unit. So, in their haste, they'll work to get as many units built as they can. Who cares if some of them don't work? They can absorb the cost of one failed unit easily enough since they pay their employees crap and a half. It's damn hard to buy things not built in China, really hard. Expensive too.

It really sucks to lose a pair or headphones, just be beyond happy it didn't ruin your hearing.

Maybe you can sell the thing yourself on eBay with "as is" status and warranty. Sure, you're going to lose out on some money, you'll at least be rid of the defective product, and hopefully onto better things.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #43 of 98
My Zero also went broken somewhere in the main PCB. It lasted from January 2008 to yesterday. Lawrence suggested me to send the main PCB back to him (and of course at my cost).

So... I'm looking for a new DAC because I had two lousy experiences with Lawrence regarding to replacement parts. If I can't get the Zero to work, I'll throw it away because the bad experience with Lawrence is affecting my opinion about the Zero also.

What's next? Beresford, Zhaolu or Citypulse?

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #44 of 98
It'd be funny to do something like close the Zero review thread with a big "do not buy these things any more" to send a big message to the manufacturer that we wont tolerate this kind of crap, but without knowing the actual percentage of units that have been faulty, for all we know it could be 1%, which would be lower than most brand-name PC's! I'm not going to go about saying that all Chinese-made gear is crap though, as many good quality products are made in China, and it IS a huge country. Their faults always tend to be making money over producing a quality product in many cases though, but this is universal to even companies in the USA and Europe. Taking Sony as a prime example, I'll never EVER buy one of their products again in my life, as their quality has dropped so incredibly that I'm surprised they are still able to sell anything at all.

Anyway, enough ranting. I could suggest you another DAC, but it's Chinese also (from Audio-gd, where we got our HDAMs). The owner (?) runs them for 100 hours before shipping, so at least you wont get a dud, and you can use your HDAM in it if you already have one.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #45 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be funny to do something like close the Zero review thread with a big "do not buy these things any more" to send a big message to the manufacturer that we wont tolerate this kind of crap, but without knowing the actual percentage of units that have been faulty, for all we know it could be 1%, which would be lower than most brand-name PC's!

That could be a really useful poll!

[] Have/had a Zero and it's been working perfectly.
[] Have/had a Zero which was malfunctioning on delivery.
[] Have/had a Zero which broke under normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back