Lawrence's brand new Zero DAC/AMP burned up my Senn's!!
Nov 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #61 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by x_lk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if you want to do that. LC shipped my Zero from Hong Kong (Cheung Sha Wan postoffice to be exact). I would say there is big chance he lives there also ...
bigsmile_face.gif

Details, Details, Details...

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #62 of 98
What you could have done is tested for DC voltage at the amp's input and output and at the source's output. That would have told you, if you had passed DC from the output stage to the drivers (DC works fast and fatally). Is this a DC-coupled device by any chance?

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wsz0304 seams like a nice vendor, a member here on Head-fi here had a problem with the shipping (banged up two units) and wsz0304 promptly sent new ones.

*snip*

Correction they were two SVDAC05 units, so he sent me a Zero instead for free
smily_headphones1.gif
. But yes he was very prompt about it - signed up for an account here and made it better. Just shows how much some people care about their reputation - which is a good thing!

Quote:

On that range the Audio-GD DAC-100 would be my choice.

However, more on the ZERO price/performance level, but probably better constructed you have the MUSILAND SVDAC05, many inputs, looks like a nice unit and should be even better with a few opamp swaps (Audio-GD HDAMs).

I currently have that particular unit but I feel the headamp is a little weak - my M1000's are supposed to have super fantastic wonderful bass but I don't think the SVDAC05 drives them properly and hence I'm not getting it. The mids and trebles are fine though

Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a PrimaLuna Prolouge 2 Integrated Amplifier that is designed somewhere in Europe, built in a Chinese factory, but the manufacturing is controlled by the designer. I have to say the quality is first rate. I think most products designed and built in China by Chinese owned company's are garbage. They build large quantities with no regard to quality control, and are usually poorly designed. Just my 2 cents.

That's probably the case. You really only get your bang for buck when you get chinese labour combined with careful QC at every step.

Quote:

I think paypal only covers problems when you buy trough ebay, you didn't correct?

Anyway, from experience paypal (ebay auction) will require you to send the product back, and with proof (Tracking/signature).

Yeah, pretty sure buyer protection only covers purchases off eBay. Has to have been sent through registered post too iirc

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #64 of 98
Well just tells me to be really cautious with ebay and to do a complete, full background check. I have yet to buy off of ebay though.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #65 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you could have done is tested for DC voltage at the amp's input and output and at the source's output. That would have told you, if you had passed DC from the output stage to the drivers (DC works fast and fatally). Is this a DC-coupled device by any chance?

Hi,
Well I learned a lot from this thread!! I found some POS headphones or at least I thoght they were POS and I use them to hook up first! The phones are Koss PortPro's and I now use some Wal mart junk instead of them.

How do you check DC? just hook up a Voltmeter to the poles on the Jack? How much is too much?

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #66 of 98
Quote:

How do you check DC? just hook up a Voltmeter to the poles on the Jack? How much is too much?

Yes, just use a volt meter. I can't comment on exactly how much is too much but I would imagine you really shouldn't have any more than a few (maybe even tens of) millivolts of DC on a properly functioning amp. In my case, 12 volts was wayyyy too high. I don't know if 1 volt would damage a pair of headphones but if you have a volt of offset then something is wrong and it should be taken care of.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #67 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopter34234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, just use a volt meter. I can't comment on exactly how much is too much but I would imagine you really shouldn't have any more than a few (maybe even tens of) millivolts of DC on a properly functioning amp. In my case, 12 volts was wayyyy too high. I don't know if 1 volt would damage a pair of headphones but if you have a volt of offset then something is wrong and it should be taken care of.

Thanx, I think I remember seeing that Headphones have a DC rating. I would think 12 volts would do them in short order!!

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #68 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well just tells me to be really cautious with ebay and to do a complete, full background check. I have yet to buy off of ebay though.

Yeah word of mouth is probably the best. If you have a look at wsz0304's ratings it seems that even he has been caught out with a dodgy upgraded Zero DAC which he got negative feedback on - theres something going wrong somewhere in the chain, although wsz0304 has told me that he doesn't do any of the modding himself

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #69 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah word of mouth is probably the best. If you have a look at wsz0304's ratings it seems that even he has been caught out with a dodgy upgraded Zero DAC which he got negative feedback on - theres something going wrong somewhere in the chain, although wsz0304 has told me that he doesn't do any of the modding himself

If you are in the Zero selling business, it's a crapshoot whether the factory sends out a POS or not. How the seller supports it is what keeps him in business of not. Sad thing is some of these sellers can do so much volume, it's just plain easier to write off the failures and leave the buyer stranded.

The cost of Frequent Flyer miles for your Zero kills the deal quick. We have a product here that the shipping is like 40% of the cost of the product or so. Talkin' basic stock Zero Here.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #70 of 98
This is an update on my Zero situation (2/2/09):

Well, I successfully navigated the credit card claims process, providing a letter from a licensed professional and won the claim. I had only paid for $160 out of the $200 on my credit card but luckily my cc gave me $40 to ship it back to Lawrence (which I can’t do because he has never responded with a return shipping address) so I did get the full $200 back.

After I had the failure of the Lawrence Zero, I ordered from wsz0304 because of the praise I heard of his willingness to correct these DOA situations. Well wsz0304’s Zero worked for a month and then crapped out on me. I know some of you may be thinking that I am responsible for destroying these Zeros, like I am using them in the bath tub or something, but I assure you that I am using them properly. I have had some discussions in the Zero Review thread about what might have caused the failure of this later unit and no one can come up with any plausible explanations related to use error. Wsz0304 seemed nice about it. He responded to my email and asked me to check some things and I did all of the tests he asked and it was very clear that the DAC board (not the OPAMP) was fried so I emailed him back on 1/14/09, and then again on 1/20/09, and then again on 1/29/09 all friendly and inquiring if a warrantee replacement DAC board will sent. There is a one year warrantee on his Zeros but I still have not heard back from him. He might just be busy but my guess is that after having received his good feedback from me, he simply doesn't care enough to lose money to make me happy. I will give it until about 2/15/09 and then try sending a little more forceful email, possibly mentioning that other Head-Fi members are listening in on my situation and then I will probably give up. Luckily I was screwed twice with the Zero (first by Lawrence) and had a spare functioning DAC from original DOA Zero to fill in on this one, so I do have a full functioning Zero. However, it is scary that these things can die after a few months. A few other recent accounts of latent failures of Zeros are alarming. Wsz0304 seems to be the best bet to order from in that he is quick to make the customer happy in the event of receiving a DOA unit, but after he receives the ebay feedback he has little incentive to honor the warrantee. Such is life dealing with small eBay sellers.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #71 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopter34234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an update on my Zero situation (2/2/09):

Well, I successfully navigated the credit card claims process, providing a letter from a licensed professional and won the claim. I had only paid for $160 out of the $200 on my credit card but luckily my cc gave me $40 to ship it back to Lawrence (which I can’t do because he has never responded with a return shipping address) so I did get the full $200 back.

After I had the failure of the Lawrence Zero, I ordered from wsz0304 because of the praise I heard of his willingness to correct these DOA situations. Well wsz0304’s Zero worked for a month and then crapped out on me. I know some of you may be thinking that I am responsible for destroying these Zeros, like I am using them in the bath tub or something, but I assure you that I am using them properly. I have had some discussions in the Zero Review thread about what might have caused the failure of this later unit and no one can come up with any plausible explanations related to use error. Wsz0304 seemed nice about it. He responded to my email and asked me to check some things and I did all of the tests he asked and it was very clear that the DAC board (not the OPAMP) was fried so I emailed him back on 1/14/09, and then again on 1/20/09, and then again on 1/29/09 all friendly and inquiring if a warrantee replacement DAC board will sent. There is a one year warrantee on his Zeros but I still have not heard back from him. He might just be busy but my guess is that after having received his good feedback from me, he simply doesn't care enough to lose money to make me happy. I will give it until about 2/15/09 and then try sending a little more forceful email, possibly mentioning that other Head-Fi members are listening in on my situation and then I will probably give up. Luckily I was screwed twice with the Zero (first by Lawrence) and had a spare functioning DAC from original DOA Zero to fill in on this one, so I do have a full functioning Zero. However, it is scary that these things can die after a few months. A few other recent accounts of latent failures of Zeros are alarming. Wsz0304 seems to be the best bet to order from in that he is quick to make the customer happy in the event of receiving a DOA unit, but after he receives the ebay feedback he has little incentive to honor the warrantee. Such is life dealing with small eBay sellers.

Keep in mind it is Chinese New Year over there. They're all howling at the moon and toasting their dead relatives for a Few Weeks. The Audio-gd Factory shuts down for like 2 1/2 weeks. Keep sending emails.

LC, what a JackAZZ!!

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #72 of 98
Wao, I was about to purchase a Zero after hearing so much praise here and there but this thread really put me off~~
Dont know what to say. Hope things will work out for you

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind it is Chinese New Year over there. They're all howling at the moon and toasting their dead relatives for a Few Weeks.

Sorry, but I don't think I've ever howled at the moon and toasted my ancestors in the New Year in my whole life, you must have mistaken with something~~

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #74 of 98
Quote:

Keep in mind it is Chinese New Year over there. They're all howling at the moon and toasting their dead relatives for a Few Weeks. The Audio-gd Factory shuts down for like 2 1/2 weeks. Keep sending emails.

Turns out you were right. He emailed me back tonight, apologized for late response (exactly 3 weeks late) due to the Chinese New Year, and agreed to send me a replacement if I split the shipping cost and pay $10 shipping. So I would say I am pretty satisfied and just wanted to clear wsz0304's name. It is pretty honorable for him to uphold his warrentee because like I said, he has no incentive after getting his ebay feedback.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #75 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranhieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wao, I was about to purchase a Zero after hearing so much praise here and there but this thread really put me off~~
Dont know what to say. Hope things will work out for you

Sorry, but I don't think I've ever howled at the moon and toasted my ancestors in the New Year in my whole life, you must have mistaken with something~~

Well then, you haven't been having near as much fun as you could have been having!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back