La Figaro 339
Aug 4, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,386 of 6,903
  ok... i posted over a year ago complaining about my 339 "loosing the sparkle" and I still don't know what's going on.... sometimes sounds amazing and most of the time sounds dull and soft.... i dont think my ears went bad because i noticed this issue when is started using hd650/hrt 2+/bellari ha540... now im using hd600/DL 3/reference 339

seriously, its like something turns my ears on and off, could it be the electricity or something?  i bought a medical grade isolation trransformer and dont think it helps...

at this point im starting to think my brain is faulty... hahah

guys

Two completely different setup and same "problem" that sound weird isn't it? Maybe is time to visit a doctor and get some happy pills hahaha just kidding.
biggrin.gif

Seriously it could be electricity, have you see any changes on glowing tubes, are they glowing as usual or some times darker or brighter without reason? Connect DMM to electrical outlet and monitoring the AC voltage about different times of the day or night then you'll now for sure.

Out of curiosity you bought reference 339 customize version of LF339 by yuking, what tubes u can roll out, what level of modd, any photos?
PS: I am planning to release some information about my recent upgrade/moddification (LF339DK_mk2) in coming days.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,387 of 6,903
i think is the electricity too! I haven't noticed any weird tube behaviour....well, sometimes my tung sol 6080wb graphite make my ears hot, my inner ear or something

my 339 is the standard reference (pic 69) and you can roll L63/6C5/6j5, by the way, can you roll 6339?  there is some guy here somewhere using some big-ass power tubes on his 337

thanks!

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,389 of 6,903
  i think is the electricity too! I haven't noticed any weird tube behaviour....well, sometimes my tung sol 6080wb graphite make my ears hot, my inner ear or something

my 339 is the standard reference (pic 69) and you can roll L63/6C5/6j5, by the way, can you roll 6339?  there is some guy here somewhere using some big-ass power tubes on his 337

thanks!

Can't find the pic 69, there is hundreds of photos in this thread but non sorted by numbers, it doesn't matter.
Do you mean the tung-sol 6336A ? no way 5A ! heater current could fry my transformers in a minute.The stock lf339 and also my can handle heater current up to 3A max.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #2,390 of 6,903
  Can't find the pic 69, there is hundreds of photos in this thread but non sorted by numbers, it doesn't matter.
Do you mean the tung-sol 6336A ? no way 5A ! heater current could fry my transformers in a minute.The stock lf339 and also my can handle heater current up to 3A max.

I'm the guy running a pair of 6528 (heater current of 5 A), see pic below.  Posted about it in the 6AS7 tube rollers thread.  But as was said:  I own a modded 337, not a stock 339.  Works fine with me and there are other guys in that thread who also did this but it's very much not recommended and if you do it and it breaks things or sets your house on fire...don't call me.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,391 of 6,903
  I'm the guy running a pair of 6528 (heater current of 5 A), see pic below.  Posted about it in the 6AS7 tube rollers thread.  But as was said:  I own a modded 337, not a stock 339.  Works fine with me and there are other guys in that thread who also did this but it's very much not recommended and if you do it and it breaks things or sets your house on fire...don't call me.

Just out of curiosity how the "big boys" sound in your modded 337 in comparison with 6AS7?

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #2,392 of 6,903
  Just out of curiosity how the "big boys" sound in your modded 337 in comparison with 6AS7?

Compared to an average 6AS7 (RCA or something) they sound more full-bodied to me, detailed but with a sound that has more 'heft' to it.  Soundstage is good, just a bit less wide than, say, a 5998.  Decay also is a bit slower but it doesn't make the sound 'syrupy' or badly defined.  I'd say they are certainly good tubes but don't risk your amp's transformer over them, they're not THAT exceptional.  Also, due to the massive graphite construction they weigh in and take a coupe of minutes to get to normal operating temperature.  

All a matter of taste, for me -don't laugh- the 7236 output tubes are still my favourites, trumping the 5998.  But then I'm not a basshead and as a general rule I prefer an airy, detailed and lithe presentation over the heavy artillery.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,393 of 6,903
  Compared to an average 6AS7 (RCA or something) they sound more full-bodied to me, detailed but with a sound that has more 'heft' to it.  Soundstage is good, just a bit less wide than, say, a 5998.  Decay also is a bit slower but it doesn't make the sound 'syrupy' or badly defined.  I'd say they are certainly good tubes but don't risk your amp's transformer over them, they're not THAT exceptional.  Also, due to the massive graphite construction they weigh in and take a coupe of minutes to get to normal operating temperature.  

All a matter of taste, for me -don't laugh- the 7236 output tubes are still my favourites, trumping the 5998.  But then I'm not a basshead and as a general rule I prefer an airy, detailed and lithe presentation over the heavy artillery.

Thanks a lot;
I was asking because my next project in the near future will be tube amplifier, strictly DIY construction based on 6as7 family I have collected quite a large amount of their since purchase 339 so consider to use transformers which can handle more heater current just in case of need. Also 7236 are my favourites too together with RCA 6AS7G.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,396 of 6,903

PS: I am planning to release some information about my recent upgrade/moddification (LF339DK_mk2) in coming days.

Please do, please do!!! We are all ears!

About your incoming OTL amp, what is your aim? Particular set of headphones in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back