La Figaro 339
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,356 of 6,903
  Hi guys!

My current combo comprises the HD650 and 339 with RCA 6AS7G and Telefunken EF800 tubes.

Especially when listening to some female singers, such as Diana Krall and Norah Jones, I feel that the vocals became slightly too forward and emphasised from the overall presentation.

Have been reading this thread for a while now and my thoughts are that I could give the 6SJ7GT mesh plates or 6J5 tubes a try. This would at least reduce the gain as far as my interpretation goes.

What would be your recommendation? All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have tried ef800/6as7g in my system ring and I couldn't find the vocal presentation to be forwarded much, maybe a bit but changing the digital source will do. Still thinking that the combo is worth to have not only because is easy to get and relative cheep but for the sound, which is really good also couldn't find to be bright too I'd said rather "live".The ef800 have a lot of gain in conjunction with DAC which outputs much more then 2V RMS and with sensitive headphones can significantly reduces the headroom so u will get loud on beginning of scale and that could sound even aggressively.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,357 of 6,903
Ultra, MJS242 & WALL-E,

Thanks for all of your help.

I suppose I could start looking for both of the tubes.

What should I pay attention to? Should I look for the 6SJ7G (including 6AS7GT) types in general, or only from certain brands?

What are the major reliable tube dealers that I could approach, aside private sellers through eBay?

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2,358 of 6,903
  Ultra, MJS242 & WALL-E,

Thanks for all of your help.

I suppose I could start looking for both of the tubes.

What should I pay attention to? Should I look for the 6AS7G (including 6AS7GT) types in general, or only from certain brands?

What are the major reliable tube dealers that I could approach, aside private sellers through eBay?

Where are you located?  Given the impact of shipping, import duties and taxes it's best to purchase in the same 'customs zone' so to speak.  Will also save you a lot of hassles if you have to return faulty items.  Many people are of the opinion that purchasing from a brick and mortar dealer is less risky than privat ebay purchases but I'm not so certain and wouldn't recommend one over the other, both good and very dodgy operators in both categories.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #2,359 of 6,903
  Where are you located?  Given the impact of shipping, import duties and taxes it's best to purchase in the same 'customs zone' so to speak.  Will also save you a lot of hassles if you have to return faulty items.  Many people are of the opinion that purchasing from a brick and mortar dealer is less risky than privat ebay purchases but I'm not so certain and wouldn't recommend one over the other, both good and very dodgy operators in both categories.

Located in Finland. I am afraid that the local availability is poor and for this reason out of option.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2,360 of 6,903
OK, I'm also in the EU, most brick and mortar stuff I order with these guys:

http://www.electols.com (in Belgium, very good service, not for 5998 or the likes though) but they do have some very exotic tube types available)  If you ever want to go wild and crazy and build a tube amp that works with a 2.5 kV power tube that glows like Chernobyl's core in the last microsecond before it blew, look no further (and make sure your life insurance/fire policies are current).

and in the UK:

http://www.langrex.co.uk (some followup required but happy with the quality)

There's many, many others, I have a couple of suppliers in Germany but they speak/write only german.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,365 of 6,903
Re-subbed. I'm still keen to swap out my 6AC7 stock tubes - I just never had any luck getting a response from Yuking about adapters, and I'm having trouble finding any 6J4P, 6Ж4С, CV849 and 1852 tubes in Australia.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #2,367 of 6,903
  do you have a correct email? It's been a while since I was in touch with him but I always got a reply.
Have you checked ebay?

Yup, had the right email, was a few months ago. Maybe I'll try again, thanks :)

And yeah! Checked eBay (for these exact search terms: 6J4P, 6Ж4С, CV849 and 1852) But no love. Are these the only types that will work without adapters? 

Just after any input tubes :)

Loving the photos guys - keep it up. Those black faceplates look great, too!

Also,

Does anyone else find the amp to have some serious gain? Even with high impedance headphones, I'm finding myself never going past 11 o'clock on the volume knobs.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,368 of 6,903

Yup, had the right email, was a few months ago. Maybe I'll try again, thanks :)

And yeah! Checked eBay (for these exact search terms: 6J4P, 6Ж4С, CV849 and 1852) But no love. Are these the only types that will work without adapters? 

Just after any input tubes :)

Loving the photos guys - keep it up. Those black faceplates look great, too!

Also,

Does anyone else find the amp to have some serious gain? Even with high impedance headphones, I'm finding myself never going past 11 o'clock on the volume knobs.

You should search for 6SJ7, 6SJ7GT, 6SJ7WGT, 5693.  You'll definitely get some results.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2,370 of 6,903

You should search for 6SJ7, 6SJ7GT, 6SJ7WGT, 5693.  You'll definitely get some results.

Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

I'll let you know how I go.

That depends on the version he has. If its a first GEN then yes, if not he needs different input tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back