La Figaro 339
Aug 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,401 of 6,903

Please do, please do!!! We are all ears!

About your incoming OTL amp, what is your aim? Particular set of headphones in mind?

Is almost done, currently testing with newly arrived HD800 it needs small adjustment and that's it, but chronically lack of time and other duties slow down it a bit,
be patient please :wink:

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #2,402 of 6,903
  Is almost done, currently testing with newly arrived HD800 it needs small adjustment and that's it, but chronically lack of time and other duties slow down it a bit,
be patient please :wink:

I hear you, my KT88-based  project is also in the doldrums for the same reasons, I've got the specs on my OPT's done but have to get them made now , designing specifically for optimum performance with my HE-6.  Seems like I can't bring out my soldering station without something coming up that requires my attention elsewhere.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2,403 of 6,903
RCA 6080 + NOS 6J4P random cheapies 

That's not where the amp usually lives.. Just a temporary setup.

Er.. Also, ignore the volume knob positions. Not sure why I left them like that.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2,405 of 6,903
Can someone please explain the voodoo magic behind the volume knobs/pots?

They seem to turn very easily once the amp has been on for a good amount of time. 

Are they heat sensitive or something? 

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,407 of 6,903
Not sure if I'd call it an "issue" at this stage.. I actually really enjoy it.

They still turn well when the amp is off, but once it's on and warmed up, they turn a LOT more easily, they feel as light as a feather. Can easily turn them with one finger.

Any ideas? Is this abnormal? 

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,408 of 6,903
It seems to be normal on the 339. They become much easier and smoother to turn when heated up. I can confirm. That's how you know your amp is at good working temperature.
No idea what's causing it though. Tech guys to the rescue?

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #2,409 of 6,903
I must confess that I have the 339 volume set to about 3/4 up and use a preamp to control gain. I use the amp rarely and only with T1 or DT880/600. My memory of the 339's knobs ease of turning is dated so Ultra's response appears to be on the mark. Thank you.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,410 of 6,903
I think it's been months since I last fired on the 339. I've been way too busy lately.
My most used setup right now is portable with custom IEMS. That didn't stop me from ordering my 3rd Audeze though
rolleyes.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #2,413 of 6,903
Hello all and thank you for providing great information in this thread. Has been very helpful.

I just purchased La Figaro 339 from another Head-Fi'er and indeed, it is a great amplifier for HD 650 and HE-500, many others too I am sure.

Tubes in use at the moment are RCA 6AS7G and Mullard EF80, which I found to be quite warm sounding, with good mid-range and body, yet accurate. Suitable for my ears.

These Mullards are NOS, but they keep making some noises if idle when I am using HD 650. With HE-500 cannot hear anything. I first thought these tubes created distortion, but they seem to fine. I wonder if "first time use" for tubes can create anomalities more easily.
Telefunken EF800 were silent but had been used for some time before I got the amp.

La Figaro's power distribution seems to be very sturdy and well made. Has anyone tried upgraded power cables with this amp? I have one PS audio AC-5 and I could get another.

In some equipment by my experience the upgraded power cable can bring great benefits if the power supply isnt such top notch.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,414 of 6,903
339 + HD800 is absolutely brilliant.

It does sound terrific with HD-800! However, for me and in some bass-intensive tracks (ie.: "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bela Fleck) the bass is a bit too flabby relative to my speaker amp set ups (yes, I've tried almost every tube combination available to mankind!) Large orchestral works (Mahler, Bruckner, Richard Strauss, etc.), also challenge the 339 when it comes to visceral impact.

I keep the amp because it makes the finicky T1 and humble-and-honest DT-880 sound fabulous. Listening to well-recorded small ensembles (with/without singers) is a great pleasure.

Just my crusty $.02, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back