Kozee Sound Solutions ** MAJOR CS ISSUES - NOT RECOMMENDED (info in first post) ** Custom IEMs & Reshell review
Mar 11, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #31 of 852

Quote:
Yes, obvious it is!  Anyone that likes the TF10 should get it reshelled IMO!  

And I do have my initial thoughts about the sound of the X3, but want to give it more time before I make any comments.  The shell looks great, though, with nice workmanship.

this... -.- just spent over $400 on uni books and now thinking of reshelling both SF5pro and tf10pro

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #32 of 852

Quote:
Pictures added to the Infinity X3 post.

Adam let me know that each option is tuned for the specific product (since it isn't a simple swap), for example the X3 uses 3 different drivers and crossover point than the X3 executive.  The stock drivers aren't "inferior," but different.  And it isn't all that different than some other companies that either offer multiple products.  Some examples include Westone having 3 different single driver customs, UE having 2 different dual driver customs, or Puretone offering one of each 1, 2, and 3 driver customs with either silicone or acrylic.  I can see this way being somewhat confusing since no one knows how the X3 executive will compare with the X3 standard, for example.

The drivers of my X3 (with executive option) are indeed vented!

from talking to aleksey and vitaliy a while back,  I was told the 1964 ears quads used bass drivers that were vented and they could be made in either a full silicone shell or acrylic, which makes me wonder what venting the driver does and whether or not it requires "open space" around it. also, I have not seen a silicone shelled custom IEM up close so I'm not sure if there is free space inside or are the components literally buried in the silicone

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #35 of 852

Quote:
Adam sends you back your impressions so you can use them for other customs.  I guess if they fit, why not?

Both of my customs fit fine.

joe could you just answer 1 question for me regarding the TF10 reshelled ? :D, has the sound changed? don't need to go in detail as I'm sure you are a busy man :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 852
You wanted to know how my reshell compared with the universal TF10:  It fits like a glove vs. difficult to fit and painful after time TF10.  The bass extends deeper with the reshell, greatly improving the bass to my ears.  The reshell mids are more forward and sound, well, nice!  But I will be sending the TF10 reshell back because of the treble, which is lacking the sparkle of the universal.  This might be in part due to the mids being more forward (and this is with the stock cable).  After discussion with Adam, it is more than likely the placement of the filters, which I verified by pushing them back slightly, which increased the treble.  I will also be sending the other TF10 back for direct comparison by Adam, so they can get it right.  I figure sending mine back along with the universal TF10 will benefit all.  Not to mention this week has been a busy one for him as he has a new addition to the family, so it is understandable that things are crazy for him right now.  He is a very nice guy and wants to do whatever it takes to get things right which I have confidence he will do.

As is now, the reshelled TF10 is much more enjoyable to me than the universal as the mids are filled in and the bass is deeper, and the treble has a little bit of that sparkle with the filters pushed back a bit.  I could keep it as is, but I figure he can tweak it a little more and see what he can do, which will hopefully benefit others with TF10 reshells.

How about that Infinity X3?  Should anyone spend the extra on the X2 or X3 vs a reshell?  All I can speak for is the X3 with executive option that is roughly $400 more than my reshelled TF10 does sound much better with more refinement, better bass, better clarity, and just sounds like a big step up that it is!  The sound signature of the X3 reminds me of the SE530...warm, mid-forward, powerful & deep bass with slightly laid back treble.  There is a slight analytical edge to it, but not overly so.  With lower end sources such as my laptop, the sound is pretty harsh, and as you move up the source ladder, the sound improves a good deal as well.  The best pairing so far is with my HUD-MX1 with the OPA1611 opamps.  More to come, but it does compete with my EM3 Pro and Fabs, but is different.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #41 of 852
Just going to chime in here real quick - got my hands on my X1s just now. Build quality is fine - looks like UE custom cables are used which is okay by me. And yes, they are removable - I didn't ask for the Executive option but it looks like I got it anyway. The shells are extremely light next to my 1964-T and feel more like plastic than acrylic. The color came out good (got them in translucent dark gray) and the fit is fine during my initial 10-minute audition. The nozzles are cut a little shorter than the ones my 1964-Ts but the finish on the bores is better. The single driver is positioned right at the nozzle and seems to be vented at the rear. Can't see any markings on it, though.

10-minute sound impressions are positive, bordering on intrigued (with Faith No More's Angel Dust, for those interested). I guess I expected a budget-level single-driver custom to sound like a budget-level single-driver universal - a bit dark, a bit thick, not too resolving - but these are none of that. They are clear and transparent, bordering on overly-revealing. The balance is fairly good - a bit Ety-like in being heavy on treble sparkle and light on low bass. Not the flattest response and not for the treble-sensitive but good for my preferences. If anything, these are bit cooler even than my Ety HF3s. If I had to pick a universal they remind me most of it would be the $1100 FAD FI-BA-SS. Of course they don't have the detail of the BA-SS and the bass response lacks the power, richness, and fullness of the FADs but the disproportionately high levels of transparency and clarity are similar, as is the overall tone and 'naked' feel of the sound. Presentation-wise they seem fairly spacious but a bit flat from a depth perspective. Not really a huge surprise as my Etys have the same tendencies. Compared to the 1964-T they lack bass impact and refinement and are somewhat hyped in the treble but nothing I couldn't live with considering that my 1964-Ts, with current pricing, would cost at least $210 more. A bit too early to say whether I'd recommend them over all similarly-priced universals from a sound perspective (unless clarity and transparency were the order of the day) but having the fit & comfort of a custom for <$200 is exactly as nice as it sounds.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #42 of 852
Sounds good to me, the part about the treble is a bit off-putting though, that's what I love about my TF10s...

Quote:
You wanted to know how my reshell compared with the universal TF10:  It fits like a glove vs. difficult to fit and painful after time TF10.  The bass extends deeper with the reshell, greatly improving the bass to my ears.  The reshell mids are more forward and sound, well, nice!  But I will be sending the TF10 reshell back because of the treble, which is lacking the sparkle of the universal.  This might be in part due to the mids being more forward (and this is with the stock cable).  After discussion with Adam, it is more than likely the placement of the filters, which I verified by pushing them back slightly, which increased the treble.  I will also be sending the other TF10 back for direct comparison by Adam, so they can get it right.  I figure sending mine back along with the universal TF10 will benefit all.  Not to mention this week has been a busy one for him as he has a new addition to the family, so it is understandable that things are crazy for him right now.  He is a very nice guy and wants to do whatever it takes to get things right which I have confidence he will do.

As is now, the reshelled TF10 is much more enjoyable to me than the universal as the mids are filled in and the bass is deeper, and the treble has a little bit of that sparkle with the filters pushed back a bit.  I could keep it as is, but I figure he can tweak it a little more and see what he can do, which will hopefully benefit others with TF10 reshells.

How about that Infinity X3?  Should anyone spend the extra on the X2 or X3 vs a reshell?  All I can speak for is the X3 with executive option that is roughly $400 more than my reshelled TF10 does sound much better with more refinement, better bass, better clarity, and just sounds like a big step up that it is!  The sound signature of the X3 reminds me of the SE530...warm, mid-forward, powerful & deep bass with slightly laid back treble.  There is a slight analytical edge to it, but not overly so.  With lower end sources such as my laptop, the sound is pretty harsh, and as you move up the source ladder, the sound improves a good deal as well.  The best pairing so far is with my HUD-MX1 with the OPA1611 opamps.  More to come, but it does compete with my EM3 Pro and Fabs, but is different.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #43 of 852
I got my TF10 reshelled just to see how much of a difference it makes to the sound, not because I like the TF10.  Without the treble sparkle, the TF10 will lose it's appeal to many, which is why I am going to send my reshell + universal TF10s back.  I personally find the treble fatiguing on the stock TF10 and better with the reshell, but with what else I have, I doubt I will seriously consider using it for anything other than testing.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #44 of 852
Honestly, your reshelled TF10's new sound sig seems appealing to me. There are a very few tracks of mine that give me siblince, and possibly removing a little sparkle from the highs can fix that. Also, any improvement with the bass is a huge bonus for me.

How long did it take from the time you sent them in to the time you sent them back? I sold my old Denon's and currently have only 1 good pair of headphones; my TF10's. I was looking to the custom tips for the fit, but just yesterday started considering reshells since they are around the same price. I'm currently using Triple-Flanges and they give me a seal far better than foam or any other tip could match, yet after about an hour, they start to hurt quite bad and it just progressively gets worse.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #45 of 852
+1
I love the sound my TF10's pump out when they get louder; but I try not to listen to them too long because of fear of hearing damage. I'm hoping the reshell brings out the bass texture and mids in low volume as much as they do when cranked up. Between the MD/MTPC/IE8, none of them come close to the sound the TF10's put out at higher volumes; in my humble opinion ofcourse
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back