Kozee Sound Solutions ** MAJOR CS ISSUES - NOT RECOMMENDED (info in first post) ** Custom IEMs & Reshell review
Jan 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #841 of 852
Do you have any other suggestions for CIEM with the price point of under 250? I know that the budget is very low, but I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible. 

The Music One by Custom Art. €189 which is almost $260 at current exchange rates. Single BA driver silicone custom. There's a head-fi thread. In Poland though so shipping might hurt and you have to take into account ear impressions too, which can run like $50-80.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #842 of 852
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #844 of 852
  After researching furthermore I found 3 more reasonably priced ciem, 

the InEarz Ie-P150 $195 Single Driver http://www.inearz.com/products/ie-p150-pro-single/

the AlienEars C1000 $200 Single Driver (Comes with free impression kit) http://www.alienears.com/p/174/c1000-single-driver-detachable-cord-monitor

and the Alclair Dual Moniter Dual Driver $249 http://alclair.com/product/duals/

Any thoughts on any of them? Sorry for the constant questioning. 

Are you set on a CIEM? Cause for the prices of some of those, you could go with the Dunu DN-1000 and probably get a better sounding IEM. Those have 3 drivers, 2 BA and 1 Dynamic.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #845 of 852
kodaif, I have a few questions for you:

1) Why the desire for lowest cost ciem?  There are obvious disadvantages with a single driver over dual drivers.
2) What is your purpose for this lowest cost ciem?  If it's going to be for working out, then I don't really see an issue as I use my Kozee X1 just for my workouts. If it drops and shatters or if cable pins breaks off and gets permanently stuck, not that big hit on the wallet, relatively speaking. If it's going to be used for a gig and/or main listening pleasure, I would suggest going up at a minimum to a dual driver.
3) Since the process is the same regardless of the cost of the ciem, if you decide to "upgrade", it'll cost you more in the long run as resale value of any ciem product is huge.  Unless, of course you plan on having more ciem than a dozen eggs, which a few members can proudly claim (you know who you are).
4) Do you know what to expect from a particular model?  Sound signatures are all over the map, even for single driver BA ciems.

Yes.  I concur with average_joe, Ineaz and Alclair are good and reliable sources for what you may be searching for as I've done multiple business with both companies.  Like Kozee, read up and be cautious over other companies that may cost you a lot of time and headache.

Good luck.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #846 of 852
  kodaif, I have a few questions for you:

1) Why the desire for lowest cost ciem?  There are obvious disadvantages with a single driver over dual drivers.
2) What is your purpose for this lowest cost ciem?  If it's going to be for working out, then I don't really see an issue as I use my Kozee X1 just for my workouts. If it drops and shatters or if cable pins breaks off and gets permanently stuck, not that big hit on the wallet, relatively speaking. If it's going to be used for a gig and/or main listening pleasure, I would suggest going up at a minimum to a dual driver.
3) Since the process is the same regardless of the cost of the ciem, if you decide to "upgrade", it'll cost you more in the long run as resale value of any ciem product is huge.  Unless, of course you plan on having more ciem than a dozen eggs, which a few members can proudly claim (you know who you are).
4) Do you know what to expect from a particular model?  Sound signatures are all over the map, even for single driver BA ciems.

Yes.  I concur with average_joe, Ineaz and Alclair are good and reliable sources for what you may be searching for as I've done multiple business with both companies.  Like Kozee, read up and be cautious over other companies that may cost you a lot of time and headache.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response and the main reason why I'm looking for a ciem is because of my oddly shaped ears. I've always knew that my ear canals were very small and when I tried multiple universal iems and tips, none of successfully fit into my ears and eventually fell loose out of my ears. I don't want to deal with these problems so I figured that going with ciem, even if its a cheaper model, would be the best idea. You mentioned that only single ba ciem's wouldn't sound good so do you think that I should go with the Alclair Duals?

Thanks again for the insight.  

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #847 of 852
What universals have you tried, despite the fit, and liked the sound?

Of the single BA ciem that I own, without EQ, there's a good chance that it'll sound a little thin, may have higher frequency cutoffs, and lacking in the bottom spectrum.  With my X1, I use it with my Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip DAP and I have to bump the bass up a few and more with the treble.  Luckily, the X1 EQ pretty well, and I have a hunch that most like it does as well.

With Alclair, my only experience is with their triple-driver Reference model.  They have excellent customer service from Mark and Amy and you won't be waiting months to get your ciem in your ears.  One nice and hidden service they have is their $60 reshelling service with their ciem products only.  So, if you decide to upgrade and sell your Alclair product, you won't loose too much in the overall resale since typical reshelling services will cost $150-300. 

If the Alclair dual is within your budget, IMO, you can't go wrong it, or with Inearz, or any other reputable company.

However, I'm sure you know that you have to be extra careful with ciem.  Drop it on cement, and you'll need to get another shell made; it's a royal PITA dealing with refits and it's in your best interest to be a royal PITA if the product doesn't fit or hurts.

Good luck and post your impressions on whatever ciem you choose.

Oops, almost forgot to mention that if you have a universal BA iem that you like, you can get them reshelled to a custom fit based on your ear molds for under $100 from Inearz.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #848 of 852
I actually don't own a BA iem, as I own the UE500. It's not the best universal iem, but it also doesn't sound bad at all. The UE500 comes with a foam ear tip + multiple silicon tips and the only one that can fit my ears are the xs size and the foam tip. The xs silicon tips doesn't really have a nice seal/fit and the foam one ( which I use) works well because it actually fit my ears, however I don't like how the foam tip pushes out against my ear canal. 

Due to these reasons, I'm pretty frustrated with iem fits so I thought that going with a cheap ciem would be the best bet to get good isolation and comfort. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #849 of 852
  I actually don't own a BA iem, as I own the UE500. It's not the best universal iem, but it also doesn't sound bad at all. The UE500 comes with a foam ear tip + multiple silicon tips and the only one that can fit my ears are the xs size and the foam tip. The xs silicon tips doesn't really have a nice seal/fit and the foam one ( which I use) works well because it actually fit my ears, however I don't like how the foam tip pushes out against my ear canal. 

Due to these reasons, I'm pretty frustrated with iem fits so I thought that going with a cheap ciem would be the best bet to get good isolation and comfort. 

What is your price limit, and as alpha421 mentioned, what is your intended use?  There are many other options out there, such as reshelling of a dynamic driver IEM, which can be done by Rooth, or you can get custom ear tips.  Sure, both aren't ideal solutions, but with a limited budget, they can expand your options.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #850 of 852
My budget is a low $250 and i'd be using it mainly for studying/music listening purpose. I don't really need the best sound quality as my primarily reason for getting a ciem is for a comfortable fit and good isolation.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #852 of 852
Thank you Joe for all these insights and help! 

After looking over the inearz remold thread, it seems like going with a used iem+remold might be the best value. 
The remold would be $95 but it seems like it doesn't come with a cable? Is the listed $35 for Fisher Twisted Cable a good choice, or are there any other better cables for a cheaper price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back