Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Sep 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #436 of 1,437
Here is a great left field supermod you can do on already modded KSC75s. It is especially useful for baldies/skinheads/inmates/conscripts in the winter months:

Remove the metal headband and attach the earphones to the earclips. Awesome!

Tried that but there's one problem.....................................................I wear glasses.
The weight of the cable seems pull at the clips so a headband would be more appropriate, I also wear it with the cable looped around the back of my neck to alleviate the weight.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #437 of 1,437
Tried that but there's one problem.....................................................I wear glasses.
The weight of the cable seems pull at the clips so a headband would be more appropriate, I also wear it with the cable looped around the back of my neck to alleviate the weight.

I wear glasses too. The cable is as light as a cable can be. I think I have string which weighs more, probably nose hairs too. There is no volume control or chunky splitter and the headphone jack is the smallest it's possible for a headphone jack to be. The only way I can find to make the cable tug is to let the player simply dangle from it. Maybe what is needed is an antigravity device to prevent people's ears being stretched out of shape by the weight of 120 cm of bell wire. Mind you I am an earthling living on earth with normal earth gravity so what the hell do I know?

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #438 of 1,437
He has a different cable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/638757/koss-ksc75s-dont-forget-about-this-giant-killer-in-all-the-hype/420#post_9805690

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #439 of 1,437

Sennheiser HD414

Sennheiser HD414 foam pads were taken from my modded PortaPro drivers  which I just binned, no point taking up space with something which I probably will not use in the future. 
The cable may seem over the top as it is more costly than the KSC75.......................no regrets with regard to the cables.

Future plans:-

Seeking a PX100 for the PX75 Mod as I'm dreading bare metal on very little hair during Winter Months though not looking forward to drilling the KSC75 drivers "nipples", a no return mod but then again it is not expensive to replace.

Those are pretty cool looking ksc75's! I bet they sound great. As far as the headband is concerned, maybe you could just add some padding to the metal?

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #440 of 1,437

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot. Maybe then the solution is to buy a new set of KSC75 and then do the "double bluff stock mod" which is where you don't make any changes that make them sound worse or annoying to use, instead you place them on the ears totally unmodified and then press the "Play" button on the playback device, relax and enjoy.

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #441 of 1,437
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot. Maybe then the solution is to buy a new set of KSC75 and then do the "double bluff stock mod" which is where you don't make any changes that make them sound worse or annoying to use, instead you place them on the ears totally unmodified and then press the "Play" button on the playback device, relax and enjoy.

Where's the fun in that lol!  
size]

Seriously though, a "must mod" for me is getting the drivers on the parts express headband - love them on that headband (although at the moment, I'm loving the sportapro drivers on that headband more).

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #442 of 1,437

Those are pretty cool looking ksc75's! I bet they sound great. As far as the headband is concerned, maybe you could just add some padding to the metal?

The Star-Quad cable + Switchcraft mini jack gives the already great headphone the little extra bit of "Je ne sais quoi".

Thanks for the tip on padding, maybe it would be better option, less is more and more is less etcetera. Sanding off the nipple and then drilling that  1.2mm diameter hole is not very enticing.

Then again if I didn't attempt on my original decision (without doubling up the HD414 due to possible too much pressure from the PX100 headband), I'll not get a peaceful night of sleep. 
So it's : KSC75 + Kramer Mod + HD414 Sponge + Quarter Mod + PX100 Headband.

Ending with something similar to baols's mod. I'll leave the HD414 in stock colour as I think it will stand out nicely against the black headband.
http://forum.mp3store.pl/topic/63742-koss-px75-aka-publius-insane-mod/?p=652840

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #443 of 1,437
I like my 75's un-modded thus far sound-wise. :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #444 of 1,437
I like my 75's un-modded thus far sound-wise. :)

I would have to agree. I really like my stock KSC75's. Though I did get the Parts-express headband because it is more comfortable. But so far I have had no reason to want to mod any further. Really enjoying the sound.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #445 of 1,437
Look what i stumbled on guys 
redface.gif
 Those trendlines sure do look shockingly similar!

Looks like the KSC75 is a Momentum with boosted treble xD. Who would of known? Extra juicy treble for only one easy payment of 335 dollars less!

(updated first post with this juicy graph!)

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #446 of 1,437
I don't see those curves as having much in common, they describe headphones which will sound significantly different from one another.

If you want a real surprise try this:

Koss KSC75 vs Sennheiser HD 800, 500Hz Square Wave Response:

After the initial shock it's a good idea to go to headphone dot com and look at the other measurements such as the 50Hz Square Wave Response so you don't start imagining that the KSC75 really is as good as the high end Sennheisers, and doing so helps avoid getting fixated on the idea that any single measurement can adequately describe a headphone.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #447 of 1,437
I don't see those curves as having much in common, they describe headphones which will sound significantly different from one another.

If you want a real surprise try this:

Koss KSC75 vs Sennheiser HD 800, 500Hz Square Wave Response:

After the initial shock it's a good idea to go to headphone dot com and look at the other measurements such as the 50Hz Square Wave Response so you don't start imagining that the KSC75 really is as good as the high end Sennheisers, and doing so helps avoid getting fixated on the idea that any single measurement can adequately describe a headphone.

Yes those freq response graphs and CSD plots are horrifically misleading. To judge a headphone by its ability to reproduce one frequency at a time is only relevant if one wishes to limit their source inventory to a good tone generator.
Then again think of all the money saved by not having to by those nasty impure CD's or Albums
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #449 of 1,437
Personally, I dont think the KSC75 sounds much like the Momentum.mFrom memory, the KSC75 is a much better sounding headphone.

Certainly, just tame and modified it certain areas and you may be very right or close enough to convince me :),  but then again others claim that the KSC75 should stay unmodified.

So confusing what is right or wrong to do or believe on HF...  I think that will just stick with a pair of KSC75 in is original presentation, combined with a pair that I have modded the hell out of... Best of three worlds :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #450 of 1,437
Those graphs look nothing alike to me, measuring at least 10db's of difference from 4k to 10k and nearly 5db's most everywhere else.  Also who would compare one square wave graph and think anything sounds alike? That's amplitude and time for one frequency only.  That's like saying this bag of jelly beans has a red one and that bag has a red one, therefore both are identical bags of jelly beans.  OK.  You need to look at FR, CSD and distortion, on the same measurement set up, before you can make any kind correlation.  Two headphones can measure identical below 500hz but one have more distortion and more decay and it will sound much bassier than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back