Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #406 of 1,437
Hi peps, great news ! i got a new mod.

@@REASON@@

my motive to create this mod is simple.Like other ksc75 modders,i'm not happy with the stock sound and i believe the titanium driver got  potential awaiting to be discovered. 

My initial impression for these ear-clip was. it has a very natural clean vocal. Although it can't offer the details level of higher ends headphone but it just feels right when i listen to it. here comes the disadvantages, the open back design of it simply make the already bright sounding titanium driver "brighter" ,bass less pronounced and the vocal sound a tad hollow and messy. apart from that,i do feel that it could be better if more details can be heard.

@@ APPROACH @@ 

the mod is created to:
1) make the sound more focused with better instrument separation
2) increase the bass quantity
3) improve the driver's control, making it sound smoother/mature.

the mod is 100% REVERSIBLE and MATERIAL USED R CHEAP N EASY TO GET.
lastly,

DO NOT PERFORM THIS MOD IF U LIKE THE VAST SOUNDSTAGE AND THIN VOCALS.

@@ PROCESS @@

pictures speaks thousand words so i'll use more picture and talk less 
size]

this mod is called hot glue mod. what we gonna do is seal the middle hole to avoid interference / cancelling of sound wave .
this approach was used in alot of studio headphones ie: SONY's CD900st and 7506/ V6 to achieve better clarity n details

All The stuffs u 'll need!! with an addition of hot glue gun =)

Measure the diameter of the center circle that we're going to seal .i measured 1.4cm

Draw the circle on a piece of paper and cut it, i found put that 1.2cm circle is the best to perform the mod.

prepare to cut the 3M micropore tape. this tape is the base for hot glue. you wouldn't want any glue on the driver surface.

using the paper cut out earlier to sketch out the cutting path. this is the most precise way of cutting a circle IMO.
size]

cut out the Micropore paper and stick it on the center like this with the help of a pair of tweezers. trim out any excessive micropore paper with blade. you can try to listen to the headphone after this, if you like the sound you can just stop at this step. the paper make it sound warmer.

HOT GLUE TIME !!  Apply the glue from the side of the tape then to the circle to ensure perfect seal.

Voila!!

Quality Check!!

i did a bad job T~T

Now the back! seal off the holes as above, i sealed a total of three holes. more holes sealed,more control/ calm sound smaller sound stage
size]

PS: too much holes sealed will make them sound congested !!
size]

Completed!!

@@ Ending @@

The hot glue mod is highly customable. playing with the back hole will alter the sound stage size. more hole sealed = smaller soundstage ,more pronouced vocal , the location of holes sealing can adjust the horizontal and frontal width of soundstage
size]

. thanks for reading =))

Very interesting... You say this mod is reversible? How so?

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #407 of 1,437
Whatever you guys do, please refrain from quoting replete with images so that users of phone browsers like me need to scroll through ten or fifteen pages worth in order to read a one sentence inquiry.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #408 of 1,437
(deleted)

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #409 of 1,437
Thank you all for the kind help in providing links to purchase the headband.
I just found it again @ Post #122....................................I'm a little slow at reading due to my poor eyesight, which is why I value sound.

Regards.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #413 of 1,437
Quote:
I carry mine around on my ears. I can almost always remember where I left them. And it's free.

haha that's what I've been doing so far. But after 2/3 hours the top of my ear starts to hurt due to the metal pressure.

I think I'll have to give up on this case idea...

A few months ago my dad went to the US and bringed me a SOL Republic Tracks V8 that costed $100....and my $15 KSC75 sound much better. That's so frustating. Hope I can get to sell them.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #415 of 1,437
Quote:
http://www.koss.com/en/products/accessories/Carrying_Case_A__Carrying_Case_A

A lot of my portable stuff winds up in Lowepro compact camera cases. Oddly enough the local Dollar store here gets them on clearance. If you pop round to a local camera shop they usually have something suitable in the clearance bin.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #416 of 1,437
http://www.koss.com/en/products/accessories/Carrying_Case_A__Carrying_Case_A

Have you ever used one of these with the KSC75? It gives me the feeling that the headphones would be way too loose in the inside.

A lot of my portable stuff winds up in Lowepro compact camera cases. Oddly enough the local Dollar store here gets them on clearance. If you pop round to a local camera shop they usually have something suitable in the clearance bin.

I still haven't thought of a camera case. Seems like a pretty good option. I'll take a look at them, thanks.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #417 of 1,437
Quote:
Have you ever used one of these with the KSC75? It gives me the feeling that the headphones would be way too loose in the inside.
I still haven't thought of a camera case. Seems like a pretty good option. I'll take a look at them, thanks.

I've used it with my headband mounted KSC75s with my Sansa Clip. There's a little wiggle room but its not like my $800 DAP and $600 IEMs are in there bouncing around! 

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #418 of 1,437
I'll offer a sensible reply. I also use a cheap camera case, cost £1. I posted about it earlier in this same thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/638757/koss-ksc75s-dont-forget-about-this-giant-killer-in-all-the-hype/120#post_9521428

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #419 of 1,437
Not to resurrect any old conflicting opinions, but I've been using my HiFlight 75s a lot lately and they are still just great! I'm running them out of my Dragonfly which adds a little more detail and separation. Talk about hitting way above their price point.

The stock version is good but the HiFlights I swear are noticeably better. What a sweet deal!

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #420 of 1,437
Hey, if anyone has done the clip mod and has the stock clips that they could spare, I would appreciate it. I lost mine in the school bus somehow, and they disappeared into the magic land of under-the-seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back