Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Aug 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #392 of 1,437
Anybody know the cheapest place to get the headband in the U.S.? 
Cheapest I've found was $7.50 on amazon.

I have my KSC75s on the Sportapro headband but I feel it clamps a little too hard for my taste. This also make the bass a big boomy since it's pressing so tight against my ears. I was hoping the partsexpress headband would fix this issue.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #395 of 1,437
If you make multiple appeals on multiple websites you might even save that last 50c.

Actually I have to admit I spent quite a long time finding this item for sale in UK and then even more time finding the absolute cheapest deal in the UK. Once you include delivery cost the UK ebay seller I linked worked out half the price that US buyers pay. Getting a much better price in UK than US happens about twice in a lifetime and I don't care that it's hardly more than pennies, I feel I deserve some kind of medal, perhaps even a telegram from The Queen congratulating me on my astonishing meanness prudence and good fortune.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #396 of 1,437
Quote:
If you make multiple appeals on multiple websites you might even save that last 50c.

Actually I have to admit I spent quite a long time finding this item for sale in UK and then even more time finding the absolute cheapest deal in the UK. Once you include delivery cost the UK ebay seller I linked worked out half the price that US buyers pay. Getting a much better price in UK than US happens about twice in a lifetime and I don't care that it's hardly more than pennies, I feel I deserve some kind of medal, perhaps even a telegram from The Queen congratulating me on my astonishing meanness prudence and good fortune.

Picked up another pair at a thrift shop yesterday for a quarter. Does that qualify me for a VC or peerage?

Really these things are as common as borscht in Russia. If you hit 3 used goods stores your bound to find them in 1.

Curious, has anybody actually listened to them before snapping out the drivers? I have not.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #397 of 1,437
Congratulations! You get a chocolate medal from a cheap political appointee who bought his peerage from a corrupt political party. You can choose which peer; there are about 700 crooks who fit the description and all are happy to oblige in return for a donation or for a sordid and dispiriting physical encounter.

I haven't seen these cheap headband headphones for years here, even in charity shops and markets. They are so awful and better stuff has got so cheap why would anyone choose them? I had a similar headband on the earphones that came with my Sony Professional Walkman but that is going back 20 years at least and those headphones actually sounded good. I think it is a very long time since this type of cheap headband headphone was common here because usually people buying a very cheap headset also want a microphone for skype.

After spending lots of time looking for the headband, a tiny amount of money buying, and then lots of time listening I finally prefer the KSC75 in their original clips. Once you have bent the clips to your liking they are supremely comfortable. The supposed big difference in sound is actually somewhere between non-existent and marginal because with a little care one can have the clips sit a bit more tightly on the ear just like with a headband. Clips are a little odd to wear at first as even though they are secure you can get the impression that they might fall off and the temptation is to make them a bit tighter vertically which can lead to discomfort. There is no need. Just make them comfortable and ensure that they clamp moderately firmly against the ear horizontally and all is well. This is just a matter of becoming accustomed to them. After a few months of ownership I think they sound equally good in the clips and are very convenient and comfortable.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #398 of 1,437
Quote:
Congratulations! You get a chocolate medal from a cheap political appointee who bought his peerage from a corrupt political party. You can choose which peer; there are about 700 crooks who fit the description and all are happy to oblige in return for a donation or for a sordid and dispiriting physical encounter.

I haven't seen these cheap headband headphones for years here, even in charity shops and markets. They are so awful and better stuff has got so cheap why would anyone choose them? I had a similar headband on the earphones that came with my Sony Professional Walkman but that is going back 20 years at least and those headphones actually sounded good. I think it is a very long time since this type of cheap headband headphone was common here because usually people buying a very cheap headset also want a microphone for skype.

After spending lots of time looking for the headband, a tiny amount of money buying, and then lots of time listening I finally prefer the KSC75 in their original clips. Once you have bent the clips to your liking they are supremely comfortable. The supposed big difference in sound is actually somewhere between non-existent and marginal because with a little care one can have the clips sit a bit more tightly on the ear just like with a headband. Clips are a little odd to wear at first as even though they are secure you can get the impression that they might fall off and the temptation is to make them a bit tighter vertically which can lead to discomfort. There is no need. Just make them comfortable and ensure that they clamp moderately firmly against the ear horizontally and all is well. This is just a matter of becoming accustomed to them. After a few months of ownership I think they sound equally good in the clips and are very convenient and comfortable.

These things are in abundance used here as they came with just about every off brand walkman and portable cd player sold here. Not to mention schools bought them by the boatload and now that everyone has their own they are all surplus. Someone made a bundle with these somewhere along the line.

I am preferring the sporta pro headband simply because it is so configurable. It is easy to bend into shape to get a good angle on the ear, the clips just do not seem to fit me for some reason.

Just as well, I'd probably have to wait in line behind a dozen burned out never heard of rock stars and 6 alcoholic Dj's for a peerage .anyhow.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #399 of 1,437
Quote:
These things are in abundance used here as they came with just about every off brand walkman and portable cd player sold here. Not to mention schools bought them by the boatload and now that everyone has their own they are all surplus. Someone made a bundle with these somewhere along the line.

I am preferring the sporta pro headband simply because it is so configurable. It is easy to bend into shape to get a good angle on the ear, the clips just do not seem to fit me for some reason.

Just as well, I'd probably have to wait in line behind a dozen burned out never heard of rock stars and 6 alcoholic Dj's for a peerage .anyhow.

I find the sportapro headband just a bit too small/tight, so I'm a "parts-express headband" fanboy all the way lol. I must say though that I've been favouring the kramer'd sportapro drivers on the parts-exress headband more these days than the ksc75 drivers. Just loving the added bass. I met up with another head-fier yesterday. He's quite experienced in modding, and is quite into orthos. I was pretty blown away by the sound coming out of his gear, but he couldn't believe the sportapro's - he just kept shaking his head saying "stuff this cheap shouldn't sound this good". Lol!

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #400 of 1,437
Those things you had there Wayne looked  and felt like something that came with a first generation cassette Walkman honestly, even down to the ridiculously thin foam on top of the wiggly driver housings.
First thing that came to mind was stuff you can't sell even at Salvation Army for $1 ( hey not hacking them its a goldmine for stuff sometimes ) Can you blame me for thinking otherwise?

Even the fit was sloppy but they overcome those massive  obstacles like  a monster truck. Even down to the truck overshooting the obstacles and crashing into the stands scattering the crowd.
 To put it simply I was stunned at what i was hearing from those.  It's just not right.

I can still recall the sound. It was quite ridiculous.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #401 of 1,437
 To put it simply I was stunned at what i was hearing from those.  It's just not right...

From another board:

Audiophile General's Warning

Studies indicate that listening to the KSC-75 for long periods of time may cause intense regret, remorse, and disillusionment about the thousands of dollars you have invested in gear that only produce marginally better sound quality. The Audiophile General recommends that such people only use the KSC-75 for listening to podcasts while shopping or doing chores around the house if they must own a KSC-75. Failure to heed this warning may result in low self esteem, depression, and suicide.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #402 of 1,437
^ LOL! Too funny
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #403 of 1,437
I'll safely add in  annoyance, bitterness, and some frustration.  A dollop of futility even
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #405 of 1,437
Hi peps, great news ! i got a new mod.

@@REASON@@

my motive to create this mod is simple.Like other ksc75 modders,i'm not happy with the stock sound and i believe the titanium driver got  potential awaiting to be discovered. 

My initial impression for these ear-clip was. it has a very natural clean vocal. Although it can't offer the details level of higher ends headphone but it just feels right when i listen to it. here comes the disadvantages, the open back design of it simply make the already bright sounding titanium driver "brighter" ,bass less pronounced and the vocal sound a tad hollow and messy. apart from that,i do feel that it could be better if more details can be heard.

@@ APPROACH @@ 
the mod is created to:
1) make the sound more focused with better instrument separation
2) increase the bass quantity
3) improve the driver's control, making it sound smoother/mature.

the mod is 100% REVERSIBLE and MATERIAL USED R CHEAP N EASY TO GET.
lastly,

DO NOT PERFORM THIS MOD IF U LIKE THE VAST SOUNDSTAGE AND THIN VOCALS.

@@ PROCESS @@

pictures speaks thousand words so i'll use more picture and talk less 
size]

this mod is called hot glue mod. what we gonna do is seal the middle hole to avoid interference / cancelling of sound wave .
this approach was used in alot of studio headphones ie: SONY's CD900st and 7506/ V6 to achieve better clarity n details

All The stuffs u 'll need!! with an addition of hot glue gun =)

Measure the diameter of the center circle that we're going to seal .i measured 1.4cm

Draw the circle on a piece of paper and cut it, i found put that 1.2cm circle is the best to perform the mod.

prepare to cut the 3M micropore tape. this tape is the base for hot glue. you wouldn't want any glue on the driver surface.

using the paper cut out earlier to sketch out the cutting path. this is the most precise way of cutting a circle IMO.
size]

cut out the Micropore paper and stick it on the center like this with the help of a pair of tweezers. trim out any excessive micropore paper with blade. you can try to listen to the headphone after this, if you like the sound you can just stop at this step. the paper make it sound warmer.

HOT GLUE TIME !!  Apply the glue from the side of the tape then to the circle to ensure perfect seal.

Voila!!

Quality Check!!

i did a bad job T~T

Now the back! seal off the holes as above, i sealed a total of three holes. more holes sealed,more control/ calm sound smaller sound stage
size]

PS: too much holes sealed will make them sound congested !!
size]

Completed!!

@@ Ending @@

The hot glue mod is highly customable. playing with the back hole will alter the sound stage size. more hole sealed = smaller soundstage ,more pronouced vocal , the location of holes sealing can adjust the horizontal and frontal width of soundstage
size]
. thanks for reading =))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back