Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Sep 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #451 of 1,437
I don't think the graphs look similar either. If you look at the 50Hz square wave response, they indicate that the two headphones should sound quite different.

The thread title is hardly helpful. The KSC75 has been said to be good headphones in its own right, and not just good for its price, so there should be no need to compare it to more expensive headphones or to call it a 'poor man's version of x'. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #452 of 1,437
It is never good to change the Title of the original Post as this will invalidate many replies.
YMMV but IMHO it is a puerile error to distract from the original theme.
I shall now leave the subscription to this Post.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #453 of 1,437
  It is never good to change the Title of the original Post as this will invalidate many replies.
YMMV but IMHO it is a puerile error to distract from the original theme.
I shall now leave the subscription to this Post.

I agree - please change the title back.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #454 of 1,437
I agree - please change the title back.

+1. Changing a thread title is almost always a terrible idea and in this case it is comes across as hysterical attention seeking. Head-Fi has plenty of this already, usually around products which are best avoided. In this case the KSC75 is actually a very good product and it's a shame to make it look like dsnut's latest push for a quarter of a million page hits for an otherwise unsaleable pos. Noise annoys.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #456 of 1,437
Will be changing title back by end of the day. Sorry guys, I used to be a salesman. Its hard turning the "pitch" off sometimes. 
redface.gif

Forgive me for my ignorance though, but isn't square wave response just other way of interpreting frequency response and phase shift? 

Great find with the KSC75 vs HD800 though! I checked the FR and HD@500hz curve and the similarity is amazing. I checked the 50hz square wave and saw what you were talking about though. I still think the similarity is shocking despite the HD800's being 100x more expensive. 
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #457 of 1,437
Honestly, I dont think the KSC75 sounds anything like the Momentum (or the HD800). If I had to pick a Sennheiser headphone that most closely matches the general sound character of the KSC75, it would be the HD600.

Just a neutral, relatively "boring" sounding headphone that sounds good with no glaring deficiencies.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #458 of 1,437
KSC75 vs. PortaPro vs. KTXPro-1

Which one to get if you want to buy only one Koss can at that price level?

I am leaning to the KTXPro. Dissuade me.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #459 of 1,437

I would choose the KSC75 because you can always add a cheap headband later if you prefer. Also cheap stuff breaks and with the KSC75 there is a bit less cheap plastic to get broken/fall apart/rattle and buzz.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #461 of 1,437

KTXPro doesn't fit people with larger heads well, unfortunately for me. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #462 of 1,437
Thanks!

Sold. I switched my buy order to the 75's.

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #464 of 1,437
These are just a great value!  I went back to them this summer for outdoor/active use. I paired them up recently with the Headstage refurbished 3g amp.  At first I couldn't get a great sound but after tinkering a bit I did.  Upped the bass to the I level and increased the impedance to the III level.  The bass is solid, wide soundstage, crisp highs - all for less than $20!

I do need to note that while these clip-ons sound good without amplification, they don't sound all that special.  It really takes a good amp to get these to sound their best.

I had turned back to these after difficulties in getting the Blox earbuds.  My original pair developed a rattle and despite haunting the Blox site and sending messages, there wasn't any indication that they would be coming back.  I needed something open so that I could be aware of my surroundings.  I had tried the 75's before but they also had developed a rattle after awhile.  I have found out that it was using them in high wind situations that wiped them out.  I take them off now when that happens and they have lasted all summer.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #465 of 1,437
Just got off my butt and played around with one of the 75's I bought at Office Depot earlier in the summer. Got out my drill and Kramer modded the grill cover, then put on a pair of fake Sennheiser MX200 pads and the Parts Express headband. 

These things are really, really surprising. One place that they seem to excel that I didn't expect: electronic music. A lot of people mentioned that they were good for electronic in their reviews, so I'm not sure why it was exactly *surprising*. I'm listening to Daft Punk's Discovery right now and these budget bastards make the album sound extremely fun. 

I hate that headband though. It's better than the clips since I wear glasses, but if I find a pair of cheap or even broken portapros on ebay I'm going to switch headbands in a heartbeat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back