Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 26, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #55,022 of 64,373
Very interesting way of rating and ranking IEMS! I love it

Do you have a site where I can see all of the iems you've ranked so far?
Unfortunately, I used to run a Japanese review blog but now I’m semi-retired, only sharing reviews thru head fi now.

I probably will put the spreadsheet on google document once it’s populated👍

Currently, working on Moondrop series(Aria2/Starfield/KXXS/Blessing2 OG & Dusk) , and KBEAR Starsea, and one new version of Starsea that KBEAR sent to me for review(not sure about details, maybe it’s Starshine?).

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #55,023 of 64,373
Unfortunately, I used to run a Japanese review blog but now I’m semi-retired, only sharing reviews thru head fi now.

Currently, working on Moondrop series(Aria2/Starfield/KXXS/Blessing2 OG & Dusk) , and KBEAR Starsea, and one new version of Starsea that KBEAR sent to me for review(not sure about details, maybe it’s Starshine?).
Yeah, sounds like a good idea to put it on google sheets.

1619448152155.png

Personally, I would put the iems on the left rows and the factors on the top columns. Easier to read that way and better when you got more iems in the list.

Well, if you need help with google sheets, feel free to PM me. I am the expert here with that after all. :joy:

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #55,024 of 64,373

1619448152155.png
Personally, I would put the iems on the left rows and the factors on the top columns. Easier to read that way and better when you got more iems in the list.

Well, if you need help with google sheets, feel free to PM me. I am the expert here with that after all. :joy:
Thanks senpai!
Haha yes that horizontal presentation is only for 3 or 4 comparison one-pager, if it gets to the list, I’d put IEMs on vertical array, and factors to horizontal👍

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #55,025 of 64,373

yes please review KBear Starshine, wanting to buy, but it's $500 and not available on Amazon

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #55,026 of 64,373
Thanks senpai!
Haha yes that horizontal presentation is only for 3 or 4 comparison one-pager, if it gets to the list, I’d put IEMs on vertical array, and factors to horizontal👍
Btw can you also include what source you are pairing them to? each IEMs react differently to different sources

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #55,027 of 64,373

1619448152155.png

what source are you using? DQ6 on BTR5 high gain has piercing treble... while KS1 on BTR5 high gain has very good resolutions and one of the best timbre under $100

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #55,028 of 64,373
Looking at KZ AS12 recently. Seems to be a nice sounding IEMs with more refined sound signature (*not* aggresively V-shaped)

Shound I get AS12, or consider the newer KZ models? I'm looking for all-BA IEMs with no vents for maximum noise isolation.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #55,029 of 64,373
Looking at KZ AS12 recently. Seems to be a nice sounding IEMs with more refined sound signature (*not* aggresively V-shaped)

Shound I get AS12, or consider the newer KZ models? I'm looking for all-BA IEMs with no vents for maximum noise isolation.
The answer depends on your preference for the treble.
The treble is quite heavily filtered on AS12. It leaves one of the best bass and reasonably mids (if you are not into overtones). Many love this sound signature. Some finds it a bit less natural.
Other than this C16 (not CA16 which is different) may be a reasonable choice along this line, C16 are mid-centric with thick rich mids.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #55,030 of 64,373
what source are you using? DQ6 on BTR5 high gain has piercing treble... while KS1 on BTR5 high gain has very good resolutions and one of the best timbre under $100
I used BTR5 with high gain, apodization 1(this brings best resolution), and all IEMs were tested with same AZLA Xelastec M size ear tips for this test.
I find EDX has better resolution under same condition unless KZ1 has notable unit variations.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #55,031 of 64,373

I have AS12, yes among KZ line up it is a clean/warm sounding IEM. Unfortunately KZ back in time was inexperienced in designing the crossover circuits , which resulted overlapping tonal inconsistencies, tonality wise it’s good, technicalities it’s subpar. And I agree with above CA16 has same mild and mellow sound, mid-centric, if not CS16, it’s newer of KZ family and they started to accumulate the learnings.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #55,032 of 64,373
@PhonoPhi and @AmericanSpirit ,

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately CA16, C16 seem both have vents (bass ports). My primary use case is commuting, so I need as much noise isolation as possible.

Unless, of course, if CA16 can provide the same level of noise isolation, then I'd consider them. From the review photos I can't see vents on AS10 / AS12.

What about AS12 vs. CA16 vs. AS10? Mainly listening to female vocal indie rock/pop. I prefer a slightly warm signature. Not treble sensitive but the CA16's 6KHz is tiny but makes me worry a little bit.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #55,033 of 64,373

The AS10 is a good all-BA model with good isolation, warm signature, nice fit.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #55,035 of 64,373
Schiit Asgard 3, yeah, a 200 usd amp on a 22 usd iem hahahha. :joy:

(its what I am mainly using right now so...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back