Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #39,992 of 64,356
0.75mm. As far as I know all KZ earphones with detachable cables have this standard for their connection. Although for a time when the ZS5 and ZS6 first came out there were some SPC upgrade cables being sold as KZ-compatible that had 0.78 mm pins. I bought 2 of those for my ZS5 v1 and red ZS6. It's been said the extra .03 mm will stretch the pin sockets and make them loose, but I cannot comment on this since so far I haven't had the need or reason to take them off. Well, that creeping green Fungus amungus on the ZS6 cable may be a cause for replacement, one of these days.
:thinking:

Are you aware of any sellers that still have the zs5 v1 with the brass ring in stock? About a year and a half ago I decided I wanted the zs1 with the brass ring and man was that hard to find!!! I was hoping the zs5 v1 was easier to obtain.

What I did before to find the brass ring zs1 was message every seller on ebay with a listing lol. But regarding the zs5 and messaging sellers should I say “do you have the zs5 v1?” Or should I say “do you have the brass ring version?” Is the brass ring on the nozzle as easy to find as the zs1? Are there any other identifying marks on the zs5 v1 compared to the v2? I know the v1 sounds better so I’d like to locate a pair if possible...

Lol it’ll be another treasure hunt like for the zs1 v1 but I’m up for it :)

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #39,994 of 64,356
my impressions about KZ AS06

Can I request you, and the other reviewers here, to mention :
- the diameter of the nozzle. Some of us have narrow ear canals. For e.g. I found the ZSA (ZSA has a wider nozzle than the ZSR which fits me OK) just won't fit properly in my ears - it took me pretty long to figure out why :)
- the type of KZ socket. For e.g. the ZSA (again) has a angled 'A-Paragraph' cable. Many users including myself bought 'B-Paragraph' (since they are angled) upgrade cables and found they don't fit the ZSA.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #39,996 of 64,356
Why is the AS06 a no go? Is it because of the advice in the next sentence? Why didn't you tell me this months ago? I have 10+ KZ's now.
The Moondrop Kanas Pro is $180USD, The Ibasso IT01 is $340CAN, The S is the newest version? The BGVP DM6 is $200USD. Why would I spend that much? Some of us aren't rich. :wink:
My Zishan Z3 DAP was only $50 USD so those would be four times the cost. I like the KZ's for the affordability. My KZ AS10 was $44USD/$60CAN. That's more affordable than $200USD/$275CAN
Are the more expensive models going to really knock my ears socks off that much?
AS06 seems another V-shaped KZ, something I have enough. Plus, the other reason - You really do get more HQ sound from 100-200$ price bracket.
I`d better collect money than spend it on 10+ KZs that doesn`t seem to "grow" to that level, well, not yet.
@LaughMoreDaily
Just go for the CCA C10 "ten driver hybrid" and keep it within the family! :couple: ...It's only around $30 US dollars!
Do You have PHB-023 to compare?

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #39,997 of 64,356
I'm sorry for being clueless, but what might the holes do, theoretically? Open up the soundstage? Lessen noise isolation?
it helps driver breathe in layman language
back accumulated pressure restrict the driver movement

well it makes driver fast but increase 3rd annular distortion and restrict the low end(if closed)

with a vent, bass extends deep, distortion is gone(can increase with wrong size of vent) and driver become slow

BA are fast because of sealed nature and their technicality

Opened Knowles RAB driver may sound bass extended but is slower than closed RAB
Etymotic ER4XR(open RAB) vs Etymotic ER4SR

same is with Dynamic

but in iem, dynamic needs to be opened most of the time as they displace air a lot compared to area inside the iem and can build up magnitude of pressure limiting its capability to produce bass(in Hybrid, the need is important)

full range can and cannot, upto designer.... as full range is important than just bass, so sealed design like brainwavz jive or Shure SE215 is present

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #39,998 of 64,356
After the MASSIVE hype the KZ ZSN got, I had to pull the trigger.

I do find the KZ ZSN very clear, and engaging, with "in your face" sound, but alas also very fatiguing and can't stand it more than 30 minutes.

For me the best price/performance ratio of 2018 is : EZ AUDIO D4 - Just incredible sound (after 10h burnin the sound opened a lot as It seems to happen on titanium drivers).

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #39,999 of 64,356

I do find the KZ ZSN very clear, and engaging, with "in your face" sound, but alas also very fatiguing and can't stand it more than 30 minutes.

For me the best price/performance ratio of 2018 is : EZ AUDIO D4 - Just incredible sound (after 10h burnin the sound opened a lot as It seems to happen on titanium drivers).
What is your source?

My suggestion is to burn in the new KZN for 100h (can be music or mix of burnin noises, had better luck with former) then try JVC SpiralDot replacement tips for taming the fatiguing treble.

I have now purple (burned in, SpiralDot tips) for home listening and cyan ZSNs which I did not burn in, with stock KZN tips in but listen to daily in commute. Since I do not get fatigued by treble (I like ES3s) my feeling is that burnin + tips mellow down the sound.
Of course if something else is the reason for fatigue, maybe you need different tips anyway

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #40,000 of 64,356

I really like ZSN treble.
In contrast, I found ZS10 least fatiguing of my KZ (could not power it up to "wake up" the treble:))

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #40,001 of 64,356
What is your source?

My suggestion is to burn in the new KZN for 100h (can be music or mix of burnin noises, had better luck with former) then try JVC SpiralDot replacement tips for taming the fatiguing treble.

I have now purple (burned in, SpiralDot tips) and cyan ZSNs which I did not burn in but listen to daily. Since I do not get fatigued by treble (I like ES3s) my feeling is that burnin + tips mellow down the sound.
Of course if something else is the reason for fatigue, maybe you need different tips anyway

My source is the Fiio E07K.

I'll let the ZSN some more time burnin mode and test later. I have a lot od tips but haven't got the SpiraDots. Maybe some narrow bore tips would help.

Note that I love the ZS6 with comply and don't find it harsh/piercing at all.
Actually the ZS6, ZS5 v1 and QT2 are some of my favorites.

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #40,002 of 64,356
My source is the Fiio E07K.

I'll let the ZSN some more time burnin mode and test later. I have a lot od tips but haven't got the SpiraDots. Maybe some narrow bore tips would help.

Note that I love the ZS6 with comply and don't find it harsh/piercing at all.
Actually the ZS6, ZS5 v1 and QT2 are some of my favorites.

Tried Sony narrowbore, you lose the good bass.

upload_2018-12-28_13-1-44.png

The spiral dots diffuse/mellow the treble for me somewhat. Do not know if it's intended to work like that but the result is better. And it's cheaper than buying the new CCA

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #40,003 of 64,356
Get a better microphone, your voice was sounding a little metallic and robotic

I usually try not to reply to such comments but I have to say that was quite rude for you to say that. The video was well done.

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #40,004 of 64,356
Why is the AS06 a no go? Is it because of the advice in the next sentence? Why didn't you tell me this months ago? I have 10+ KZ's now.

The Moondrop Kanas Pro is $180USD, The Ibasso IT01 is $340CAN, The S is the newest version? The BGVP DM6 is $200USD. Why would I spend that much? Some of us aren't rich. :wink:

My Zishan Z3 DAP was only $50 USD so those would be four times the cost. I like the KZ's for the affordability. My KZ AS10 was $44USD/$60CAN. That's more affordable than $200USD/$275CAN

Are the more expensive models going to really knock my ears socks off that much?

jumping from normal 50$ to 300$ range shows magnitude of improvement but after that law of diminishing returns hit

well save 100$ and get XWB driver, 7mm to 10mm driver adapter(aliexpress), clear shell and MMCX connector with good cable with green damper

earphonediylabs.com

make yourself one, it sounds the best

ask @CoiL how to do wood work and make a cool wood back as the XWB driver is dynamic, it will be affected by wood

enjoy

something made by yourself will give you better sound compared to super expensive gear

by the way XWB driver is from Sennheiser H
I usually try not to reply to such comments but I have to say that was quite rude for you to say that. The video was well done.
i am sorry

the review was good... no doubt
his sound was getting chuffed up by microphone and was sounding rough and robotic thats why

if it was rude, then i apologize sincerely. I never meant to criticize his work in bad manner

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #40,005 of 64,356
So you definitely think C10 is the #1 now...??
Well, personally it's number one in my list of IEM's, but that can definitely differ to others here that carry other branded IEM's and their personal choice of sound signatures, genres and other factors that may play to their sense of hearing.

...The truth is, we all might hear a little differently. :headphones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back