Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #29,986 of 64,068
I own the Meizu EP52 (and an iPhone). I would be happy to check for you, if you let me know what I need to do.
I'm not entirely sure on how to check that.

According to this post

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ptx-discrete-dac.850675/page-25#post-14077980

Code 2 means AAC, code 0 means SBC, but this might need a Mac computer to verify.

Also, according to this page

https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/compatibility/apple-iphone-6s/meizu-ep52

EP52 doesn't have AAC.

Additionally Android 8 supposedly allows one to choose the codec

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-oreo-vs-android-nougat-audio-794775/

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #29,989 of 64,068
I have to kindly disagree, to me the TRN v20 are way closer to that rating than the CM5. At least for now, I've not had the CM5 long though.

What are you driving the CM5 with? They need some power to sound their best (ie a good DAP with an AMP).

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #29,990 of 64,068
Some observations on the ZSE. After months in the also-ran pile, I pulled out my ZSEs today to take on the go because it was raining and they're even more of a beater IEM than the ES3 (which I really like). Most of my original testing with the ZSE was before I got a proper DAP, and driven by my phone they sounded grainy and unnatural in the highs with loose, muddy bass (although they did have decent separation). Running off my Cayin N5ii, they sound surprisingly good. The treble cleaned up nicely and the bass tightened a good bit. When properly driven they sound surprisingly balanced and natural. Also of note, after a few songs I looked down at the Cayin and discovered that I forgot to switch off Line Out mode yesterday... So the ZSE was running happily and at near perfect listening volume off a 2.0v line-out signal... I'm going to spend the day with them and keep refining these impressions.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #29,992 of 64,068
Some observations on the ZSE. After months in the also-ran pile, I pulled out my ZSEs today to take on the go because it was raining and they're even more of a beater IEM than the ES3 (which I really like). Most of my original testing with the ZSE was before I got a proper DAP, and driven by my phone they sounded grainy and unnatural in the highs with loose, muddy bass (although they did have decent separation). Running off my Cayin N5ii, they sound surprisingly good. The treble cleaned up nicely and the bass tightened a good bit. When properly driven they sound surprisingly balanced and natural. Also of note, after a few songs I looked down at the Cayin and discovered that I forgot to switch off Line Out mode yesterday... So the ZSE was running happily and at near perfect listening volume off a 2.0v line-out signal... I'm going to spend the day with them and keep refining these impressions.
I find the ZSE's need a good amount of power to make them sound at their best

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #29,993 of 64,068

Yes, I totally agree. The ZSE sound quite good when properly driven with an amp.

This really is something manufacturers need to be clearer about. So many IEMs get bad raps from people because they are not being used on the sources they were designed for.

I'm not sure what would be the optimal way to solve the issue though - it can't just be "optimal with phone" and "not optimal with phone", because some phones are quite powerful when it comes to audio, with high impedance modes, audiophile-grade DACs, more powerful amplification, etc. And many manufacturers wouldn't even be honest about it, because they would potentially lose sales if they advertised that their IEM "isn't recommended for iPhone use" just because it would sound a little grainy or muddy - the average Joe Schmoe walking around with Beats wouldn't really even know the difference.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #29,994 of 64,068
I find the ZSE's need a good amount of power to make them sound at their best

Given my experience, it certainly seems that way. As silly as it is to evaluate the performance of $5 headphones with gear this expensive, I think I'll hook them up to the Asgard 2 or the iCAN SE tonight and see just how far they scale.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #29,995 of 64,068
Given my experience, it certainly seems that way. As silly as it is to evaluate the performance of $5 headphones with gear this expensive, I think I'll hook them up to the Asgard 2 or the iCAN SE tonight and see just how far they scale.

Crank up the juice man (or as M/A/R/R/S says "Pump Up The Volume").

I'm sure they'll at least scale to this level LOL:

melted-earphones.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #29,996 of 64,068
What are you driving the CM5 with? They need some power to sound their best (ie a good DAP with an AMP).

Tried with everything pretty much, FiiO Q1ii, OnePlus X, my laptop. Power isn't an issue here.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #29,997 of 64,068
Yes, I totally agree. The ZSE sound quite good when properly driven with an amp.

This really is something manufacturers need to be clearer about. So many IEMs get bad raps from people because they are not being used on the sources they were designed for.

I'm not sure what would be the optimal way to solve the issue though - it can't just be "optimal with phone" and "not optimal with phone", because some phones are quite powerful when it comes to audio, with high impedance modes, audiophile-grade DACs, more powerful amplification, etc. And many manufacturers wouldn't even be honest about it, because they would potentially lose sales if they advertised that their IEM "isn't recommended for iPhone use" just because it would sound a little grainy or muddy - the average Joe Schmoe walking around with Beats wouldn't really even know the difference.

I've noticed this is a big issue with amateur headphone reviews in general. There are guys in the LCD-2 thread who SWEAR that LCD-2s have no bass, but they're driving the cans with an amp that can only do 100mw-ish into 32ohms... I think the issue is that at some point, this hobby requires a little understanding of electrical engineering (understanding impedance matching/damping factor, how output caps of varying sizes can influence a headphone relative to each other and vs. dc-coupled output, etc.) All things which are difficult to convey in marketing or on packaging, and people really don't seem to care that much about ANYTHING let alone audio quality.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #29,998 of 64,068
Tried with everything pretty much, FiiO Q1ii, OnePlus X, my laptop. Power isn't an issue here.

They are quite tip dependant as well. I can't remember if you're using wide bore Whirlwinds or Auvio tips. But obviously tip rolling might change your mind (which you may already have done).

Or it could just be they just don't sound good to your ears. Nothing wrong with that. But there sure are heaps of people that love the CM5, so if you want to sell them I'm sure you'll have no issues whatsoever.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #29,999 of 64,068
Helloo, im back , HELP, KZ ZSR is weird!

It seem it is out of phase? or something, its not centered anymore, sound comes quieter/different from the left side?

what may be the problem? KZ quality controll? by the way Gearbest refunded me 3,80€ for 15,50€ that i pad for ZSR...oh well.(they offered for 10€ ship another one,but i don wanna another crappy quality zsr....)

Whats next ZS10 perhaps? Please advice? (take apart and fix something?)

Thank you!

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #30,000 of 64,068
They are quite tip dependant as well. I can't remember if you're using wide bore Whirlwinds or Auvio tips. But obviously tip rolling might change your mind (which you may already have done).

Or it could just be they just don't sound good to your ears. Nothing wrong with that. But there sure are heaps of people that love the CM5, so if you want to sell them I'm sure you'll have no issues whatsoever.

Auvio's work well with 90% of my iem's and Starlines pretty much cover the rest, my latest acquisition and I must say their players do sound sweet but as many have said the filing storage attributes leave something to be desired! Who knew as a 61 year old man I'd like the boy band Super Jr:astonished: Good thing since I now have all their signatures on my player, still not quite as cool as my 30GB Classic U2 Pod:rolling_eyes:

AK Super Jr.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back