Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 12, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #6,346 of 63,936
Have you even heard the Zircon yet? When you hear them I'd love to see your change of heart. XD
Yes I have, indeed they do sound good from a smartphone. But when driven with a bit more juice that bass really slams. I'm not arguing with you. Everyone's take on things is not going to be the same. That's what makes us unique as individuals. Enjoy the music.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #6,347 of 63,936
Yes I have, indeed they do sound good from a smartphone. But when driven with a bit more juice that bass really slams. I'm not arguing with you. Everyone's take on things is not going to be the same. That's what makes us unique as individuals. Enjoy the music.

What I'm saying is that sound signature can be easily modified with an equalizer (and I've got 2 on my phone running simultaneously).
I can easily make Rock Zircon sound like Xiaomi Piston 3.
Xiaomi Piston 3 doesn't have the guts to sound like Rock Zircon, no matter how I equalize it.
And that is my point.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #6,348 of 63,936
When you have a quality dap you don't have to
What I'm saying is that sound signature can be easily modified with an equalizer (and I've got 2 on my phone running simultaneously).
Xiaomi Piston 3 doesn't have the guts to sound like Rock Zircon, no matter how I equalize it.
And that is my point.
when you have a quality dap you don't have to eq anything. I don't buy a set of phones then eq. Them to sound like another, that's ridiculous. You probably need to eq. Because you source(phone) is crap.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,349 of 63,936
when you have a quality dap you don't have to eq anything. I don't buy a set of phones then eq. Them to sound like another, that's ridiculous. You probably need to eq. Because you source(phone) is crap.

Or because I don't like flat EQ. But tell yourself whatever makes you feel better.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #6,351 of 63,936
Guys guys, let's not get this thread locked again yea...

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #6,352 of 63,936
Guys guys, let's not get this thread locked again yea...
I apologize, I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I have an iphone6, and compared to any of my daps it doesn't sound as good. It all starts at the source. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #6,353 of 63,936
To each his own opinion...
Let's not get deeper by arguing about DAPs, EQing etc., but agree that Knowledge Zenith makes IEMs with an awesome price-to-performance ratio. :)

Random shocking fact: the short form of Knowledge Zenith, KZ, has got another, inappropriate meaning in German and in its long form stands for something completely horrible, inhuman and criminal that happened in the last century's first half.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #6,354 of 63,936

??? EQability is simply another factor to consider when reviewing a headphone, nothing more, nothing less. A headphone that is high quality and can be EQ'ed is great if the stock signature doesn't suit you.

Also is there any review on the zircons

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #6,356 of 63,936

Not going to discuss sound quality here but if you have problems driving the Piston 3 probably you have a weak source and that could leave you disliking some gear that you could like if you had enough power to drive them.

No offense, but earphones like Piston 3 are made to be PORTABLE and used with MOBILE phones.
So like with the other earphones I have, I compare them with the same equalization methods (Arkamys + Dolby Atmos) on my Xperia Z1, with increased volume output.
If I need more power for the Piston 3, that my high-end device cannot provide, than Piston 3 sucks. You shouldn't have to drive mobile earphones, and KZ ED10 and Rock Zircon proved that.
Still, it losses its purpose as MOBILE earphones.

Quote:
  Or because I don't like flat EQ. But tell yourself whatever makes you feel better.

I`m sorry but I don`t agree with Your subjective opinion and will not follow Your words about Zircons. Not going to argue. Just leave it there. Sorry but I make my own conclusions from Your comments.

It all starts at the source.

Totally agree! I NEVER use EQ and sorry if it sounds harsh but imo smartphones do sound like crap compared to my HW and FW modified DX50. At least haven`t heard one that can get close to it, even when EQ`d szhiiit out of them. And EQ can`t help and won`t affect things like soundstage/imaging/separation/transparency - most of it comes from IEM itself.

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,357 of 63,936
I apologize, I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I have an iphone6, and compared to any of my daps it doesn't sound as good. It all starts at the source. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Quote:
  Quote:
I`m sorry but I don`t agree with Your subjective opinion and will not follow Your words about Zircons. Not going to argue. Just leave it there. Sorry but I make my own conclusions from Your comments.

Totally agree! I NEVER use EQ and sorry if it sounds harsh but imo smartphones do sound like crap compared to my HW and FW modified DX50. At least haven`t heard one that can get close to it, even when EQ`d szhiiit out of them. And EQ can`t help and won`t affect things like soundstage/imaging/separation/transparency - most of it comes from IEM itself.

Then you probably don't know what Arkamys and Dolby Atmos are. They are not just EQ. The EQ is just the UI level that you see. It's more complicated than that and only an Android developer can understand what I mean. They are Android system-level AudioEffects, and it is very different from a Play Store-ish equalizer. What it can do that a normal app equalizer can't is override the software limitations on audio signature and loudness that is set by the Android software itself, because Sony limits the audio output on the software level. I'm just pushing the audio output to its full potential, and it did affect soundstage/imaging/separation/transparency greatly. I tried that same AudioEffect on a Chinese phone Jiayu G5S, and the sound quality was awful (because the hardware is the limitation in that case).
On my PC, Zircon still sounds the most accurate of them all overall, and I don't use any equalizer there. I just have a headphone amp which is embedded in my sound card Asus Xonar DGX.
What I'm saying is that Zircon sounds great out-of-the-box, without the need of any amplification or equalization. Xiaomi Piston 3 doesn't. It needs amplification. But even with the sound card amp, Zircon gets even better results.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6,358 of 63,936

No offense, but earphones like Piston 3 are made to be PORTABLE and used with MOBILE phones.
So like with the other earphones I have, I compare them with the same equalization methods (Arkamys + Dolby Atmos) on my Xperia Z1, with increased volume output.
If I need more power for the Piston 3, that my high-end device cannot provide, than Piston 3 sucks. You shouldn't have to drive mobile earphones, and KZ ED10 and Rock Zircon proved that.
When I use Piston 3 on my computer (which has sound amplified with Asus Xonar DGX) I get some decent sound from them, but still lower than Zircon and even the Sony MH750, and less crispier than KZ IE80.
Still, it losses its purpose as MOBILE earphones.

Well, maybe you didn't understand my point. I have both ED10 and Piston 3 and both can sound equally loud, although i prefer the ED10 signature by miles over the piston 3. They both can get ear-bleeding/hearing aid level out of my phone (Note 2). Xperia Z3 is know for its low power output so maybe the Z1 has the same problem. I'm not saying that you should like them or nothing but if you can't drive them at a proper level maybe your source is limiting your experience with other earphones that you could like otherwise if driven properly. Chill out guys...

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,359 of 63,936
Well, maybe you didn't understand my point. I have both ED10 and Piston 3 and both can sound equally loud, although i prefer the ED10 signature by miles over the piston 3. They both can get ear-bleeding/hearing aid level out of my phone (Note 2). Xperia Z3 is know for its low power output so maybe the Z1 has the same problem. I'm not saying that you should like them or nothing but if you can't drive them at a proper level maybe your source is limiting your experience with other earphones that you could like otherwise if driven properly. Chill out guys...

It's well known that Xperia phones have low power outputs (about 3mW, which is Zircon's rated output) while Piston 3's are 5mW.
Another thing is the impenitence. Zircon's 16ohm vs Piston 3's 32ohm, which makes Zircons more suitable for small battery-powered devices, but can get noisy when amplified.
All these aside guys, I was just giving suggestions from my own experience, you do whatever suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back