Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #5,221 of 63,943
  I got the KZ ATE about two weeks ago, and again, as mentioned by many here is this long thread, what a surprise for the price!  Fit reminds me of the ATH IM50, and sound is quite surprising for less than 20.00.  I really like them up to now, but haven't finised tip rolling.  For now, I used Sony hybrids smaller medium tips (orange).  I also put some temporary tape on the vents and the basse is more present, I like it a lot.

They now are top KZ iem.  KZ ATE.  KZ ED8 sounds good too, but they are really heavy, and I don't seem to find a proper fit with them.  It would be an interesting matchup (but different signature) between these two if it weren't for the fit...

KZ DT3 are still special to me with their nice highs and huge lows!  They are light and easy to wear but somewhat fragile.  The mic controle broke for some reason (i was gentle with it...).  The earphones are still working but remote is out...  For someone looking for huge bass and nice overall sound, they kick!

KZ EDSE and KZ GR are the ones I left behind.  EDSE are fine but they sound uneven to me, so really fatiguing.  KZ GR are heavy and sound meh to me.

All imho and personal taste.  Still, for the price, these are great iems to discover and try.

Thinking of getting a DT3. From your as well as other users' impressions I guess it hits right bells for me...
I own multiple KZ IEMs (see my signature) but I'm interested in comparison between DT3 and ED8m. For me ED8m fit is not an issue.. Zero Audio tips are great comfort and fit with ED8m. I'm interested in lows. How are DT3 lows compared to ED8m? 

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5,222 of 63,943
Hello guys, got a question for you. I've been into headphone for a bit now and just purchased my first batch of IEM's (see profile if interested) and I like them all. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. If I had to pick a favorite right now I'd pick the Piston 2 because its clean and clear with good low end. My questions is I have small ears and\or canals and always have to use the small tips. 
I want to try a Kz IEM but am unsure which one would be best most likely having to use the small tips. I listen from folk to metal genres and have several amps and DAC's to try with them. I'm leaning toward the ED9 but I've read they might be a bit heavy...the ATE look cool but I've never worn the wire above my ear.
I will be sitting in a comfy chair listening to real Cd's, no computer involved except the one on my lap. I am more of an analytical listener but appreciate good low end. Out of my current crop of full size cans I mainly listen to my HD600 & DT880. 

thank for any and all input

btw at these prices I would be open to getting a couple of models from the Kz line.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #5,223 of 63,943
Hello guys, got a question for you. I've been into headphone for a bit now and just purchased my first batch of IEM's (see profile if interested) and I like them all. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. If I had to pick a favorite right now I'd pick the Piston 2 because its clean and clear with good low end. My questions is I have small ears and\or canals and always have to use the small tips. 
I want to try a Kz IEM but am unsure which one would be best most likely having to use the small tips. I listen from folk to metal genres and have several amps and DAC's to try with them. I'm leaning toward the ED9 but I've read they might be a bit heavy...the ATE look cool but I've never worn the wire above my ear.
I will be sitting in a comfy chair listening to real Cd's, no computer involved except the one on my lap. I am more of an analytical listener but appreciate good low end. Out of my current crop of full size cans I mainly listen to my HD600 & DT880. 

thank for any and all input

btw at these prices I would be open to getting a couple of models from the Kz line.

ED9 are heavy for size but not really heavy in true sense as they are so small. You should get those.

ATE has larger diameter nozzles, I don't know how small your ear canals are but since you asked I'm mentioning this.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #5,224 of 63,943

I got the KZ ATE about two weeks ago, and again, as mentioned by many here is this long thread, what a surprise for the price!  Fit reminds me of the ATH IM50, and sound is quite surprising for less than 20.00.  I really like them up to now, but haven't finised tip rolling.  For now, I used Sony hybrids smaller medium tips (orange).  I also put some temporary tape on the vents and the basse is more present, I like it a lot.

They now are top KZ iem.  KZ ATE.  KZ ED8 sounds good too, but they are really heavy, and I don't seem to find a proper fit with them.  It would be an interesting matchup (but different signature) between these two if it weren't for the fit...

KZ DT3 are still special to me with their nice highs and huge lows!  They are light and easy to wear but somewhat fragile.  The mic controle broke for some reason (i was gentle with it...).  The earphones are still working but remote is out...  For someone looking for huge bass and nice overall sound, they kick!

KZ EDSE and KZ GR are the ones I left behind.  EDSE are fine but they sound uneven to me, so really fatiguing.  KZ GR are heavy and sound meh to me.

All imho and personal taste.  Still, for the price, these are great iems to discover and try.

Thinking of getting a DT3. From your as well as other users' impressions I guess it hits right bells for me...
I own multiple KZ IEMs (see my signature) but I'm interested in comparison between DT3 and ED8m. For me ED8m fit is not an issue.. Zero Audio tips are great comfort and fit with ED8m. I'm interested in lows. How are DT3 lows compared to ED8m? 

I have posted in the past that the KZ DT3 are a great IEM for working around the house and yard.  The extra bass helps block out power equipment noise and they still retain enough detail for good sound.  The fit and light weight are a big plus.  I wear them over the ear with my free and adjustable cinch and they stay in place while moving around.

The ATE are getting more time, I actually have two pair of grays and I cannot discern any differences.  I ordered a silver pair to compare and a ED10.

The KZ SE and ED9 also get ear time.  KZ ES less so and ED3 very little.  What is now KZ DT5 is fun at times.

YMMV
r2

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #5,225 of 63,943
Originally Posted by CADCAM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Piston 2 because its clean and clear with good low end. My questions is I have small ears and\or canals and always have to use the small tips. 
I want to try a Kz IEM but am unsure which one would be best most likely having to use the small tips.

I have Piston 2 and compared to most KZ IEM`s they are not clean/clear and neither with good low end (too enhanced bass which bleeds into mids littlebit). 

I also have small ears and earcanals and must mostly use only smallest tips. I have no problem using ATE with smallest tips but since they are sensitive to tip rolling it can be issue to find good tips and must be worn over-ear they might not fit for Your needs. Personally I find wearing over-ear much more comfy and I can`t use straight-down wearing IEM`s anymore.

My questions to You are:
1) Are You sensitive to highs? If You are, then ED9 might not fit for Your taste. Though, it can be cured with small-bore tips or foam mod.
2) Do You prefer littlebit smoothed/laid-back signature for extended listening sessions with no fatigue or very analytical/dry/cold signature which can cause fatigue with longer sessions? In simple rough comparison, ATE is more like HD600 and ED9 more like DT880. Though, If You prefer analytical signature, I would pick ANV.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #5,226 of 63,943
I have Piston 2
I also have small ears and earcanals and must mostly use only smallest tips. I have no problem using ATE with smallest tips but since they are sensitive to tip rolling it can be issue to find good tips and must be worn over-ear they might not fit for Your needs. Personally I find wearing over-ear much more comfy and I can`t use straight-down wearing IEM`s anymore.

My questions to You are:

1) Are You sensitive to highs? If You are, then ED9 might not fit for Your taste. Though, it can be cured with small-bore tips or foam mod.
2) Do You prefer littlebit smoothed/laid-back signature for extended listening sessions with no fatigue or very analytical/dry/cold signature which can cause fatigue with longer sessions? In simple rough comparison, ATE is more like HD600 and ED9 more like DT880. Though, If You prefer analytical signature, I would pick ANV.

I hope ate is better than piston 2.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #5,227 of 63,943
Yes, ATE is way better than Piston2 imo. Piston2 has too much emphasis on bass department, sound-stage lot smaller and kind of ʌ-shaped, everything is more congested/closer and less separated, less transparent. Basically, ATE is better in everyhing. After hearing ED9, ATE and ANV... Piston2 is history for me. But I still wish to try Piston3 some day and wood-mod them too.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #5,228 of 63,943
  Yes, ATE is way better than Piston2 imo. Piston2 has too much emphasis on bass department, sound-stage lot smaller and kind of ʌ-shaped, everything is more congested/closer and less separated, less transparent. Basically, ATE is better in everyhing. After hearing ED9, ATE and ANV... Piston2 is history for me. But I still wish to try Piston3 some day and wood-mod them too.

I had piston 2 and bought piston 3. Disappointed with piston 3 and use back my piston 2.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5,229 of 63,943
Disappointed in Piston 3 ? They should be in every way superior to P2 and have great reviews
rolleyes.gif
Maybe You just have gotten too used to P2 signature?
What exactly didn`t You like about them? How long did You use them before You gave up on them (brain burn-in also takes time)?
What source gear do You have? Galaxy S3 can be "limiting" SQ factor probably if that was used to compare.
Anyway, if You are disappointed in P3 then maybe You should look something with same signature? KZ R35 is very similar to P2.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,230 of 63,943

I had piston 2 and bought piston 3. Disappointed with piston 3 and use back my piston 2.

Me too...but hate the fit of the 3 and the poor sound isolation. What I loved about the 2 is the stock tips are really nice. Overall SQ I prefer 3 over the 2. But fit matters. So ymmv (big time).

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,231 of 63,943
I have all the different Piston models from Xiaomi (except Piston 3). And, though the Pistons were great in there prime, ATE, ED9, and ED10 are much better in SQ and for a lower price. It also sets a new bar in quality and sound for there price. ATE has way better soundstage and micro-details, ED9 has also great soundstage and vivid clarity on top, and ED10 provides a similar signature to the Pistons 2, but much better in every level.

....This is just my 2 cents on this matter.
wink.gif

I'm hoping more comments will come this way on the ED10's.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #5,232 of 63,943
I don't have ED8m, but just Ed8.  Not sure if it makes a difference.  Remember that I am not a pro in this like you, but I would say that ED8 are more balanced (just in sound, I would qualify them as the better brother of EDSE).

DT3 bass hits all over the lows (sub - mid etc).  It's a huge nice envelopping bass.  I like it though.  I would not say that it veils the mids, even though they are recessed, but they give for sure a nice sense of buttery feel to the other frequencies like the mids.  But it's powering.

ED8 bass is less prominent, but still deliver a nice punch.  Less present but way more than other iems.

Hope that helps.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #5,233 of 63,943
Spotted this on aliexpress, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Preheat-KZ-ZN1-headphones-smart-headset-earbuds-original-ZN1-earphone-Noise-Cancelling-bass-auriculares-audifonos-casque/32402454327.html

From what it says it has a DAC if it's not a failure in translation(which is likely), so i guess there is an ADC and DAC and an amp? 
Interesting, the price most likely will fall, for sure not in the regular KZ prices though.
I am cautiously hyped :3

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #5,234 of 63,943

Ooh, the old waving evil eye. The gif master is angered the spoiler gods were not consulted before large picture post
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,235 of 63,943

smily_headphones1.gif
The OBVIOUS fact we have here IS: a large continuing thread about the merits/ drawbacks of basically Cheap Chinese labor produced disposable $10 Headphones.

That fact in itself, speaks volumes. Yep, the Corksniffers will want to naysay: "they don't have this or they don't have that" or "they just don't compare to these" yada, yada, yada...  BUT, the fact remains they are actually quite good, and at their Price/Performance level there is no better value ON THE PLANET.

That's my take on it.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Best reply I've seen to date on this thread AC, could apply to a few threads/companies but KZ is just off the hook with what they offer for their prices
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back