Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #571 of 10,062
I can confirm about the ear pads rolling for Odin. I'm using Kennerton ECL-02 Black, which is less leaky, on the Odin from time to time. It gives flatter (= extends deeper) bass response.

Sound wise, it's the matter of preference and I found the pads do a good job when I want to listen to songs meant for deeper/flat bass. However, for many songs, the original pads do a better job with its more mid-centric rendition of spectrum. The ECL-02 also darken the sound a little bit.

So basically I'm switching back and forth between the two, depending on what I want at one particular moment. Original pads on by default though.

Maybe @Kennerton Team could consider bundle ECL-02 pads with Odin. It would be nice accessory to have (and would fit in the candy box along with the cable anyway).

May 5, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #572 of 10,062
I can confirm about the ear pads rolling for Odin. I'm using Kennerton ECL-02 Black, which is less leaky, on the Odin from time to time. It gives flatter (= extends deeper) bass response.

Sound wise, it's the matter of preference and I found the pads do a good job when I want to listen to songs meant for deeper/flat bass. However, for many songs, the original pads do a better job with its more mid-centric rendition of spectrum. The ECL-02 also darken the sound a little bit.

So basically I'm switching back and forth between the two, depending on what I want at one particular moment. Original pads on by default though.

Maybe @Kennerton Team could consider bundle ECL-02 pads with Odin. It would be nice accessory to have (and would fit in the candy box along with the cable anyway).

Thanks, it's always good to know, and it does not cost much more to have these kennerton pads ECL-02 black optional (in addition to the original micro-perforated inventory pads), knowing that the Kennerton Odin (with stock pads) has a LF already very efficient, at the same time with a great dynamic (with a lot of slam) and are very detailed and textured in the low (more than those of LCD-X, for example).
In order to have even more low level and slam, but with a little less definition, you have, also, the Kennerton Vali (that I tried on loan), very impressive for lovers of strong, fast, dynamic and deep bass (a super LCD-X for the LF with more HF).

Otherwise, for information, to the Germans, the headphone Kennerton Vali and the K. Odin will be present and presented, this weekend, to the High End 2016 in Munich in Germany, with the dream electronics Viva 2A3 and 845 ; this is what I've learned in visiting my friend Pierre, the last weekend, when I went at shop to retrieve my amplifier Viva 2A3 that it had sold me (see my mini report of this visit at Nîmes, here : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178888009.html#p178888009)

To conclude my post, here are two new photos of K. Odin found on the web (on the max's blog, the Chief Engineer of Kennerton responsible for the production and assembly of these headphones)

PS: my dream would be to have, one day, a Kennerton Odin wooden in Karelian Birch, with a Viva 2A3 amplifier.
One day, perhaps?
wink.gif

Last edited:
May 8, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #574 of 10,062
Wouaou, the guy in the center is praying 
blink.gif

ODIN + Egoista = God voice

May 9, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #576 of 10,062
Darn it @Kennerton Team these headphones deserved exposure at the meet. Got held up at customs. But let me be blunt...

THESE SOUND GREAT!

I will simply list some distinctions about this headphone. It doesn't take me long to nail these down because they are very unique. 

Let me just get one or two, or three gripes out of the way. Stock cable I confirm to hold them back. The fit must be worked with and the weight is very heavy.

I don't know how many US natives have heard these but they sound like what some may have been waiting for. I am one of those.... an HD650 with better technicalities, deeper bass, and a wider soundstage. 

1. The tonality is rich, round and verrrryyyyy far from sterile or cold. There is such a boldness to the notes that sound totally unhindered in fullness. Relatively speaking neither my Omnis, LCD2's or DX1000's sound as wholesome in timbre. If the HE560 were a steak it would be frozen  and these would be raw and slightly aged. The tonality isn't perfect though. I would prefer a slightly further away vocal as the singers sound really close and as my brain burns in to the sound of these I feel as if there are extra resonances in the mid range. To put this into perspective, if there was a proximity of the vocalist to my ears the closest would be VALI>>LCD2>Omnis=HD800S. ..As I was typing I simply shaved a DB of the lower mids out from 200 - 500 hz and even though the upper mids now sound a little sharper they are pretty close to ideal in balance. Only one Decibel of eq makes these a lot closer to ideal for me. 
  2. The soundstage is missing a little bit of height and depth is nothing to boast about but the separation is great as well as the the width sometimes catching me off guard since most usually headphones that sound this rich are more closed in sounding.  Really good soundstage overall. 
  3. Bass slams, hits, and rumbles harder than both my Omnis, and LCD2's but is very tight as well showing better control than the LCD2's but probably and so far(too early to tell for sure) on par with the Omnis. 
Based on the current standard of headphones that are out there, these are by no means over priced. They are doing so many things right for me right now that I am looking at my stable to consider what is holding its place, or on its way out to make room. They also don't seem to be fussy for amping. I mean ...to get this sound people are using bass eq, rolling tubes, amp matching etc etc and these are pretty much there.

If you like thin and sterile... do not apply....How do I fill out an application?

May 10, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #577 of 10,062
  Darn it @Kennerton Team these headphones deserved exposure at the meet. Got held up at customs. But let me be blunt...

THESE SOUND GREAT!

I will simply list some distinctions about this headphone. It doesn't take me long to nail these down because they are very unique. 

Let me just get one or two, or three gripes out of the way. Stock cable I confirm to hold them back. The fit must be worked with and the weight is very heavy.

I don't know how many US natives have heard these but they sound like what some may have been waiting for. I am one of those.... an HD650 with better technicalities, deeper bass, and a wider soundstage. 

1. The tonality is rich, round and verrrryyyyy far from sterile or cold. There is such a boldness to the notes that sound totally unhindered in fullness. Relatively speaking neither my Omnis, LCD2's or DX1000's sound as wholesome in timbre. If the HE560 were a steak it would be frozen  and these would be raw and slightly aged. The tonality isn't perfect though. I would prefer a slightly further away vocal as the singers sound really close and as my brain burns in to the sound of these I feel as if there are extra resonances in the mid range. To put this into perspective, if there was a proximity of the vocalist to my ears the closest would be VALI>>LCD2>Omnis=HD800S. ..As I was typing I simply shaved a DB of the lower mids out from 200 - 500 hz and even though the upper mids now sound a little sharper they are pretty close to ideal in balance. Only one Decibel of eq makes these a lot closer to ideal for me. 
  2. The soundstage is missing a little bit of height and depth is nothing to boast about but the separation is great as well as the the width sometimes catching me off guard since most usually headphones that sound this rich are more closed in sounding.  Really good soundstage overall. 
  3. Bass slams, hits, and rumbles harder than both my Omnis, and LCD2's but is very tight as well showing better control than the LCD2's but probably and so far(too early to tell for sure) on par with the Omnis. 
Based on the current standard of headphones that are out there, these are by no means over priced. They are doing so many things right for me right now that I am looking at my stable to consider what is holding its place, or on its way out to make room. They also don't seem to be fussy for amping. I mean ...to get this sound people are using bass eq, rolling tubes, amp matching etc etc and these are pretty much there.

If you like thin and sterile... do not apply....How do I fill out an application?

Thank you, Grizz, for your first impressions of the K. Vali in USA.

You're not disappointed, I think.

A nice "toy" to avoid getting bored at home
wink.gif

A kind of super HD-650 and / or supercharged LCD2, faster, with a wider FR, easier to drive, more open and airy (with a better soundstage).

Otherwise, the stock cable seems to me also to be very correct for the SQ.

May 10, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #579 of 10,062
So get this...
For enjoyment I usually don't mind hearing a little bleed into the midrange with the bass. If a headphone can respond without much distortion I have, for fun eq'd the bass to extreme levels on many headphones as it destroyed the fidelity but thunderstormed bass. Welllllll.... Simply placing the zmf cowhide pads on the Vali gave me the hardest hitting, and loudest bass I have ever heard in my life.. I have never heard such a drastic change in bass from pad rolling. A testimony that a lot of tuning has to be done in the front of the housing for headphones. Holy crap the bass was too much but was fun on a song or two.

May 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #583 of 10,062
Darn it @Kennerton Team
 these headphones deserved exposure at the meet. Got held up at customs. But let me be blunt...

THESE SOUND GREAT!

• The tonality is rich, round and verrrryyyyy far from sterile or cold. There is such a boldness to the notes that sound totally unhindered in fullness. Relatively speaking neither my Omnis, LCD2's or DX1000's sound as wholesome in timbre. If the HE560 were a steak it would be frozen  and these would be raw and slightly aged. The tonality isn't perfect though. I would prefer a slightly further away vocal as the singers sound really close and as my brain burns in to the sound of these I feel as if there are extra resonances in the mid range. To put this into perspective, if there was a proximity of the vocalist to my ears the closest would be VALI>>LCD2>Omnis=HD800S. ..As I was typing I simply shaved a DB of the lower mids out from 200 - 500 hz and even though the upper mids now sound a little sharper they are pretty close to ideal in balance. Only one Decibel of eq makes these a lot closer to ideal for me. 
  • The soundstage is missing a little bit of height and depth is nothing to boast about but the separation is great as well as the the width sometimes catching me off guard since most usually headphones that sound this rich are more closed in sounding.  Really good soundstage overall. 
  • Bass slams, hits, and rumbles harder than both my Omnis, and LCD2's but is very tight as well showing better control than the LCD2's but probably and so far(too early to tell for sure) on par with the Omnis. 

How do you like them compared to the HE-6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back