Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #556 of 10,033
Number of coincidences is growing! I like to think about my second Odin as a present on my 40th birthday ))

News coincidences: the same days, we have:

A show in Moscow,
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=142284&page=48&p=1883504&viewfull=1#post1883504
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=167465&page=2&p=1882810&viewfull=1#post1882810
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=142284&page=47&p=1883207&viewfull=1#post1883207

And also, a show in Paris,
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178872024.html#p178872024
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178871994.html#p178871994

With the demonstration of the only two copies used, currently, in the world of the Kennerton Vali.

In a few days, I would have the chance to test (on loan), at home, one of these two Vali, waiting the one I just pre-ordered.

Waiting your impressions of the current meeting in Moscow.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #557 of 10,033
Grand total of my impressions from show )

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #558 of 10,033
Also listened Vali a little. A great value for money. Lots of slam and vigour. "Bad younger cousin" of Odin )) Cousin with a dynamic driver but with a dash of LCD-2 blood in a same time. If one doesn't want to wait for Odin or has limited budget - go for Vali I would say.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #559 of 10,033
Also listened Vali a little. A great value for money. Lots of slam and vigour. "Bad younger cousin" of Odin )) Cousin with a dynamic driver but with a dash of LCD-2 blood in a same time. If one doesn't want to wait for Odin or has limited budget - go for Vali I would say.

Thanks,

Report transmitted ...
wink.gif

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178872290.html#p178872290

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #560 of 10,033
To dream a little (lot)

"Sound Days" in Paris - April 16-17th http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...paris-2eme-16-17-avril-2016-t30066893-45.html

Two prestigious ensembles:

JPS Abyss + Viva Egoista 845 amp (left)

K. Odin (Litz wire cable) + Viva 2A3 amp (in the middle)

(Not to mention his little brother, on the right, the K. Vali)

About Vali, read also (by Sky, in french): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178875184.html#p178875184

and also, about Odin Vs LCD4 and Abyss (by Sky, in french): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178875222.html#p178875222

EDIT: In Paris (Showroom), despite the ambient noise, the amplifier Rudistor RP8K-VT (a hybrid amplifier with 2 x 1.3 W on 35 Ohms) seemed to work very well with the Kennerton Vali (good overall synergy)
According melomax (in french): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178875760.html#p178875760

Prestigious amplifiers; from left to right: Viva Egoista 845 (uncompromised amp); Viva 2A3 (uncompromised amp); Rudistor RP8K-VT (hybrid amp).
Kennerton headphones: from left to right: K. Odin (80 mm driver planar, open), K. Vali (50 mm driver dynamic, open) and K. Magister (42 mm driver dynamic, closed)

EDIT two: K. Odin Vs K. Vali (on loan)

Step one: weighing; Size; Picture gallery

Odin: 670 g (without cable)

Vali : 560 g (without cable)

Odin (at left): internal 65 x 60 mm ; maximum depth (in back): 30 mm
Vali (at right): internal 60 x 55 mm ; maximum depth (in back): 30 mm

K. Vali with his 2 m stock cable (jack 6.35/3.5 mm)

EDIT three: K. Vali, in natural light.

EDIT four: Vali Vs Odin (step two): first listening impressions

(in French), here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178877410.html#p178877410

Pending further listenings this weekend.
(nota: I will do the translation of an English summary at the end of these comparative listenings, this weekend)

EDIT five: Vali Vs Odin (step three): measurements (FR (on HDM-X) / Impedance curve / sensitivity)

(in French and Russian) ; links (here): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178878532.html#p178878532

EDIT six: Vali Vs Odin (step four): last listening impressions

(In French), here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178879448.html#p178879448

Here (in spoiler) a translation of some excerpts from the above french post:
" My first impressions of listening, from two days ago, are strengthened on several points:

The Vali is a headphone very pleasant to listen to, euphonious, alive, with rhythm and relatively little aggressive compared to other headphones.

The Vali should be listened to less strong than the Odin, for two reasons:
-If it is listening too hard, the generous bass of the Vali takes over and may become predominant, see invading on pieces loaded into low (unless you are a fan of low frequencies);
-If it is listening too hard, the high medium of the Vali can project itself (at 1 KHz) and to be the cause of hardnesses, see unpleasant projection for female voices during fortissimo.

The Vali is widened slightly in the medium, due to a serious generous (70 Hz) may have a masking effect on the lower midrange, and a small level of bump in the midrange at 1 KHz ( may be responsible for some hardness at this frequency).

The Vali has a treble well-balanced, fine, pleasant to listen to, absolutely not aggressive, not grainy, but it is shortened in the higher harmonics in the upper treble; This is visible on the response curve, but mostly it is hearing, undoubtedly (at least to my ears); the higher harmonics of the triangle and cymbals are shorter; It is clear compared to Odin, where these instruments, with the Odin, have more sparkle in the upper-treble.

After to well listen to these two headphones, the Vali, in fact, suffers a lot of a direct comparison with its big brother, the Odin, in the areas of the definition of sound and texture, simplified with the Vali.

This is very clear, both in the low, where Odin bass are both faster, more textured and defined, but it must be said also with a less powerful level and with a little less impact than the bass of the Vali (Nb: when to them, the bass of the Vali seem faster and with more impacts than the LCD3F or LCD - X) for a similar definition).

It is even more net and obvious for the mids, where the medium of the Odin is much more detailed, precise, subtle than that of the Vali, who appears to him in comparison as fairly significantly less detailed and also slightly indented.

The mids of the Vali is pleasant (euphonic) because warm, and both supported and punctuated by dynamic and powerful bass (favouring the taping foot), but it lacks definition; or then it is Odin who is particularly well defined (everything is relative :
wink.gif
)

For comparison, the difference in accuracy of the mids (and bass) from Vali compared to Odin would be of the same order as the difference in accuracy of the mids (and bass) of the LCD3-F Audeze compared to the Stax SR-009 (on the Luminare amplifier) (Nb: what does not prevent the LCD3F to be more euphonious and hot to listen compared at the Stax SR-009).

So in the end, I maintain, more than ever, that Odin is a headphone in resolution "native" 1080 p (if reference is made to a HD TV screen images), then the Vali remains one headphones in "native" definition any 720 p, which is already not so bad.
This difference in definition of sound (which could also apply to... sound image) that applies in the registry of the lows (bass), but especially in the medium (mids).

To be convinced, just listen to the voice of the singer Rebecca Pidgeon on the very good record CD "The Raven"; should not more than 10 seconds to realize: everything is clearer, more defined, more precise, better position, more subtle, not to mention an extension in the upper-treble better with Odin versus Vali.

Otherwise, the Vali defends itself well for symphonic works (Petroucka), Opera (Carmen) and a Piano work (Schumann), on par with the Odin, but with two very different perceptions:
-Odin because of its precision, definition and clarity, but with a lower bass level, gives an impression of listening close to the Orchestra (where we hear more details, but with less bass);
-While the Vali gives more the impression of a listening more to the bottom of the concert hall (close to the back wall) with a certain dullness (upper-treble loss and decrease in the details) and strengthening of the bass. These two styles of listening can please; they are different, though natural, both.

The Vali can be listened for use Home-Theater (test of the music of the film Avatar) with lots of level and dynamics in the bass, but a certain dullness (damping in the treble), as in a real Old movie theater (with large speakers JBL, with a well damped room).

For Jazz: Petrucciani and Grappelli (album Flamingo), I clearly prefer the Odin to the Vali; the accuracy of the Odin and virtuosity make wonders; the Vali seems heavier and left (less fast and accurate) in comparison; Yet once more, everything is relative
wink.gif

Otherwise, I was following reflection, the pleasant side of the Vali could come in part from sound reproduction related to the speakers of loudspeakers (disregarding, of course of the soundstage, which has nothing to do with that of loudspeakers): I found in the strength and the impact of the bass of the Vali a certain sound of dynamic loudspeakers quality (with powerful HP in the bass) but also, of course, a definition that is often less than that of a very good headphones (ortho or electrostatic).
Odin, when to him, is more akin to listening to electrostatic headphones, with its speed and its definition, but with more thickness on the timbre and more impact.

In short, my first impressions of listening, of two days ago, are largely confirmed, but also refined by various titles and styles of music heard this evening.

So, these are both great headphones, each in their respective categories; but one (Odin) is still larger than the other (Vali), and fully justified his label (for resolution) "HD 1080 p", while the other, also nice to listen to, justify right the label "720 p". (Nb: all headphones are not eligible for such labels, with such a success).

These two headphones remain fully competitive for their price and could be even considered as a good value, because, I will put gladly (and even head) the Vali compared to headphones Audeze LCD-X and LCD3-F (nb: similar definition, but with even greater impact, better speed, and a less down character for tone).
I put in another category, also in the leading pack, the Odin with the Quartet of headphones you know probably better than me (except for the Stax I've owned): the LCD4, HE1000, the Stax SR-009 and the Abyss (NB: I personally place the helmet Stax SR-009 behind Odin; for the other headphones, not judgments, I have not listened to them) (Nb bis : here, the differences in taste between all of these helmets will also occur).

Last remark; due to its "native" resolution 1080 p HD
wink.gif
the Odin benefits more records of quality (with a material upstream of the headphone also qualitative) than its little brother, the Vali, of resolution "native" 720 p.
With lesser quality recordings (and unfortunately there are many), even with a good system, the difference in resolution 1080 p / 720 p between these two headphones fades a little. The Vali can even get won the game by its own qualities, for some superior than Odin (its further "overall euphony"; its sound rendering in both warmer, more generous and more dynamic in the bass, especially for those loving this kind of sound signature and/or who are nostalgic of the sound of a dynamic loudspeaker (of quality) doing foot taping)."

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #562 of 10,033
Hi forumers,

The ODIN with some cousins:

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #563 of 10,033
  Hi forumers,

The ODIN with some cousins:

Clash of the Titans

The return ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

JPS Abyss (6 K€) (at right) Vs LCD4 (4.9 K€) (on the middle) Vs K. Odin (2.45 K€) (left)

On the Viva Egoista 845 amp (11,5 K€); the Rolls Royce of amplifiers for headphones.

What are they worth? 

On classical music (large ensembles)?
On the Pop-Rock & Metal ?
On the Jazz, or small ensembles of classical music .

In perspective, a very interesting confrontation to discover, Claude ...
I am very curious about your listening impressions.

popcorn.gif

May 1, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #565 of 10,033
Viva 2A3 amp (orange Lamborghini) well received.
smily_headphones1.gif

and also some comments about my visit at Pierre Paya's (a multi brand distributor), and its exhibition hall of dream products, who found me (and sold) this very beautiful Viva amplifier 2A3
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178888009.html#p178888009

Additional comments will follow in the coming days, probably after comments of Cladane which is currently testing the LCD4 (on loan) versus the Odin, the Dharma D1000 and the Abyss (no less!
eek.gif
) on its beautiful and very impressive amp Viva Egoista 845 (also Lamborghini Orange color) which probably deserves the title of "Best of the Best".

Last edited:
May 1, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #566 of 10,033
Hi dear forumers,

Audiomat DAC + Viva 2A3 + ODIN Litz cable : Very great combo

To follow my listening impressions on some surprising music files not often commented.

May 2, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #568 of 10,033
^ Id rather go with what sounds good no matter the distance. Nothing beats hearing music how you believe it is supposed to sound. 

The Vali has shipped to us here in the US via DHL and will be brought to our headphone meet on the 7th. I am pretty stoked to hear this headphone more than any of the others that will be there. 

I am also curious as to how the Odin has less bass extension being an ortho with a huge driver, than the Vali
confused.gif

May 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #569 of 10,033
  ^ Id rather go with what sounds good no matter the distance. Nothing beats hearing music how you believe it is supposed to sound. 

The Vali has shipped to us here in the US via DHL and will be brought to our headphone meet on the 7th. I am pretty stoked to hear this headphone more than any of the others that will be there. 

I am also curious as to how the Odin has less bass extension being an ortho with a huge driver, than the Vali
confused.gif

In case of Odin, LF roll-off is purely because of earpads construction. If you swap less leaky pads there, you will get flat bass measurement. But soundwise, we found that to be less desirable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back