Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #511 of 10,033
Hello Kennerton addicts,

EDIT five: Soon two feedbacks (with more complete listening impressions) from the new Kennerton Vali (the first in Europe) by sle and misterc (two french forumer)  (note: first impressions apparently very positive: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178837161.html#p178837161);  I am the fourth tester on the waiting list to try this headphone; I look forward in advance to receive this headphone and soon compare it with my Odin. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Will be very interested reading your comments about the two headphones.
I have started to make savings to buy the Vali for Christmas since my feelings are that they won't be available before
popcorn.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #512 of 10,033
"Clash of the Titans"

Since the topic between Odin & Abyss (& LCD4) is back on table. I feel like posting a little about the two I happen to own. (Sadly, I don't have LCD4. Didn't impress me enough to own one when I audited it at some local store).

Abyss is really impressive for what it does, and it really really comfortable (once properly adjusted). An extreme one-trick pony of headphones. Nothing beats it for bass responses, fast, tight, and as deep as, the name suggests, "abyss" itself.

Odin is more all-rounder. Nothing beats it for being the 2nd of everything. (It's like you be top of the class in exam by scoring 2nd in everything ... because no one would top every subject).

If I would have to pick just one between the two, I'd pick the Odin.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #513 of 10,033

Thank you for the photo, impressive
smily_headphones1.gif

Clash of the Titans, or "Who is the master?"

by Eric65
wink.gif
:

The terrifying Norse god Odin.

"
WHO IS THE MASTER? says the Odin with a terrible and menacing voice

Me, says the HE-6; and VLAN, a good axe kick placed (between the two earpads of the HE-6), to remind to the pretender who was the master; and the HE-6 (or rather half of He-6 remaining) replied: you, master!

ME, opposes the LCD-X, a little bully and braggart. and VLAN, a new axe kick, not less adjusted that the previous (and that made memorable sparks, because the LCD-X was carrying for his defense of a (low) metal armature (although a little thicker than that of the HE-6)); and the LCD-X answered (for what remaining of it): you, my master!

Then came the powerful Abyss, released straight from the ocean depths (a real Godzilla): and VLAN, a giant axe hit of Odin; "not succeeded, ": the Abyss is shielded as a heavy World War II panzer; and PAF, a staggering blow, phenomenal of the Abyss in reply on the Odin, who wobbles, but immediately straightens; and the fight continued again, and again, between these two masters of headphones... "

Original story to this page: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...erton-fischer-audio-inside-t30059943-720.html

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #514 of 10,033
Hi all,

Here is a comprehensive feedback (by misterc) of the Kennerton Vali, compared with two tenors headphones of the market: the Kennerton Odin and JPS Abyss.

Link to the review (in French)
Part 1: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178845374.html#p178845374
Part 2: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178845378.html#p178845378

and a try of the translation of the conclusion below.

Good reading.

" Can we conclude?

With all the reservations and taking into account that I am and will be in no way a professional Tester, I can try to draw the outline of this listening which still lasted more than 5 hours. I tried to compare three headphoness I own for several months with the Vali which I have received since just a few days.
What I can say about the Vali is that this little headphone was a serious challenger compared to renowned headphones and with prices much higher than his own. Making it, in my opinion a headphone to the unbeatable report!
You can be sure that it does not leave you indifferent regardless of the type of music you are listening. From the standpoint of restitution of voices it is like its big brother the Odin, that is absolutely unique in the medium. I can say that it goes further in the treble and the bass that the Odin. Odin has more 'wisdom' that he; it is more retained. What could make me say that in the long term it will prevail over the Vali. The Vali has an immediate "wow!" effect as say the Anglo-Saxon (here it looks like "oh damn...!") so it is beautiful.
In the register of the speed the Vali outweighs the Odin but not on the Abyss. Odin is more cushy, but we are not obliged to knock all the time, not more. ☺
With regard to the opening and spatial restitution, the Abyss is unbeatable, good; this, we already knew!
The Vali is all in width and much less in depth, which is there all the time feel the music between the ears. Odin is more distant. Perhaps this is the effect of impact very impressive of Vali. Again I really like, but do it (permanent) is it not boring in the long run ? For the moment I can say that not. The Abyss also has impact (less than the Vali).
When the music gets more complicated Odin is best because there a greater separation for me on the same level, as the Abyss, and this is not a little to say!
For Rock, definitely, I take the Vali and I speak not of Metal (this is not my style of music) I think that people who like this will feast.
For songs, female or male voice, it is a Pearl.
At the question: with an Abyss and an Odin, do I buy the Vali? the answer is Yes.
This is a great headphone, very endearing, and compact enough to be in the semi nomadic for the Hotel room with AK240. It is very easy to driver with a DAP. "

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #515 of 10,033
Hello Eric,

Very interesting read for sure and thank you for the great translation. The Vali is beautiful and it definitely leaves me wondering how it would really compare to other similarly priced headphones such as the LCD-2, HE-560 or even the ETHER siblings by MrSpeakers. If it can compete or even surpasses some if not all of those in its category in terms of sound quality I might have to buy it. Does anyone know how much it weighs compared to the Odin for example? I looks quite light.

Edit: Interesting price tag, so far all three places I have seen have the Vali available to purchase have different asking prices, can't help but be curious why the differences are so significant (699e vs 1050e).

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #516 of 10,033
Impressions from one more happy Odins owner (in russian)
http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=26869&st=125#entry840930 

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #517 of 10,033
Hello Eric,

Very interesting read for sure and thank you for the great translation. The Vali is beautiful and it definitely leaves me wondering how it would really compare to other similarly priced headphones such as the LCD-2, HE-560 or even the ETHER siblings by MrSpeakers. If it can compete or even surpasses some if not all of those in its category in terms of sound quality I might have to buy it. Does anyone know how much it weighs compared to the Odin for example? I looks quite light.

Edit: Interesting price tag, so far all three places I have seen have the Vali available to purchase have different asking prices, can't help but be curious why the differences are so significant (699e vs 1050e).

Hello: The only official prices that I know for the Vali is the price displayed on the site Kennerton (990 dollars) (excluding taxes) and the price displayed in France by the importer, which takes into account the 20% of French taxes: so, total 1,050 Euros that you have cited (all taxes included).

I will soon be able to listen and compare the Vali with my Odin.
smily_headphones1.gif

According to early reports, it would be in the same category of sound quality that Odin and the Abyss; not the best of everything, but very very good on everything; it might be preferred compared to headphones which costing (in France) 4 to 5 times its price!

If this feeling is confirmed, it is more than probable that I will buy this headphone in my turn (in complement of my lovely Odin); to 1000 dollars / euros, this is probably the deal of the century!
(to be confirmed by listening; I'm not going to deprive myself; believe me well!).

PS: as soon as I receive it, (in 7 to 10 days?), I will take pictures of headphones Vali and I will weigh this headphone (without the cable) and compare it with my Odin.

Impressions from one more happy Odins owner (in russian)
http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=26869&st=125#entry840930

Thanks !
smily_headphones1.gif

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #518 of 10,033
I was kinda sitting on the fence for the Vali at first, given that I absolutely love the Odin ... but the Magister didn't impress me that much. The Odin is open-planar while the Magister is closed dynamic. I really wonder how the Vali will be like given that it's an open dynamic. I like & collect a lot of Fischer Audio products, but for $990 it would be a little too much for just buy & try.

After reading the early impression from the French forum, I think I'm leaning toward the "getting one" side of the fence. Well, will wait for Eric's impression. It will be another while before it become really available (and my local Kennerton dealer/importer decides to bring one in).

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #522 of 10,033
Citation:
Posté par Harry Deng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These headphones are good looking! I hope they sound good as well.
L3000.gif

In this configuration, there is (probably) no better; or so, I ask to see!
Dharma D1000 with Kennerton pads ; Kennerton Odin with a Litz cable (made by C&H) and with a upgrade Headband (more adjusted and comfortable) ; Abyss (and also Odin), driven by a Viva Egoista 845 Amp (a $ 10 K amp) ; source: TotalDac d1 (a very High-end French dac).

Note: my own installation (below), more modest, does not demerit however, though costing less money; certainly, my amplifier (RP8K-VT) is not at all the same level as a Viva Egoista amp, but my source (high end (dac + drive) of the brand Audiomat) is probably at the same level as the dac TotalDac D1.The cable (Litz wire) improved is the same.

Note bis: for comfort (for my big head), I have also an improved headband (padded), certainly less attractive than the "Kékénnerton" headband of Cladane but equally comfortable
wink.gif

EDIT: here the personally P. Paya's version of the K. Odin ("full option" also)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178856746.html#p178856746

EDIT two: Kennerton Vali Vs Kennerton Odin (with stock cable) (by Lagoduche)
(in french) : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178858504.html#p178858504

EDIT three: Kennerton Odin: new drivers (wired with Litz wire) ; new wood cups (including the exceptionals cups, in Karelian Birch (only two pairs produced), at right in photo)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178860555.html#p178860555

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178862337.html#p178862337

The Three Graces.

With apparently a new headband, redesigned, a little shorter and thicker and suited for all sizes of heads ?

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178863769.html#p178863769

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #524 of 10,033
Hi dear forumers,

Wow ! Big Question :astonished:
I have preordered one to the French reseller and I think I will be able to make monthly savings before its availability. Perhaps for Christmas ?

Next weekend there is a big Canjam in Paris: The Sound Days. Perhaps more news ?

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #525 of 10,033
Dear friends,

I had the opportunity to listen to the forthcoming Kennerton Vali and was very impressed by the sound quality. Sound signature is very close to Odin with a sweet, natural midrange but with a deeper bass and more treble extension. 

While I already own an Abyss and an Odin, I have decided to order a Vali.

I don't think of a better proposition in its price range (it is cleary better, to my ears, to the Audeze LCDX for example).

Stephane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back