Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 13, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #496 of 10,033
  For music lovers "Metal", the Odin would be a must (tied with the Abyss).

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=142284&page=41&p=1855691&viewfull=1#post1855691

(Note: use both Google translate and Bing translator to remove some ambiguities of translation).

That was my post with quotation of impressions of friend of mine  ) BTW he has great setup with some TOTL cans including Abysses and he listened Odins at home for more than couple of weeks as I remember. Brief translation
 - Most important - that's the best headphones for metal, that I ever heard!
 - Old records are getting alive in these cans
 - Great bass and control of it, great speed and resolution.
 - Too brught with Dark Star, ideal with Cavalli
 - Great special effects on mids-highs border add drive on guitar distotions (it's attractive and unattractive in a sam time). I hope developers will not get rid of this in a next version of Odins, they would lose their attraction for me.
 - I listened today in turn to Odins and Abysses - they sound different but both are very tasty. They're on the same level. May be I just like Odins too much now ))
 - LCD-X and HE-6 are not needed in my setup any more.

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #497 of 10,033
  Hi there,

What is Symphonic Metal ?

I use following albums for cans evaluation on sympho-metal in my metal thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution 

Symphonic
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
Moonspell - The Antidote
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Therion - Theli
Within Temptation - Mother Earth
Apocalyptica - Plays Metallica By Four Cellos

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #498 of 10,033
Hello the forum,

Impressive work @levap and a not familiar gender for me.
I would point out that ODIN lacks some width speaking of opening. Conceptual  crossfeed weakness ? I'm wondering myself if I didn't read that Kennerton had worked on this ultimately.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #499 of 10,033
Hi all,

Here's the link (and translation of French to English) to a new testimony (by ostinato) of K. Odin against other heavyweights headphones.

" Small back about Odin, and also the first, about the Russian brand Kennerton alias Fischer Audio.

For headphones, 'heavy weight' don't have never scared me. I've known more or less long many of them named Audeze LCD-X, LCD2, LCD3, JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266 or Grado PS1000... Would Odin be the exception to the rule with its 780 grams (bilateral cable of 2 m included) displayed on the scale? I would say that the doubt remain on sessions of a longer duration than that at the origin of this feedback, and despite the ingenious adjustment mechanism with Odin. There is possibility for me to optimize it further? Is there substance to improve the headband to maximize the ratio weight/comfort for the benefit of its auditor?... Both, my captain? Whatever it is, I would like to finish this paragraph by the evocation of the earpads, with perforated leather, which encompass with flexibly my ears pavilions without producing congestive effect on them.

The design is rustic but the materials, construction and adjustment quickly inspire a confidence that will not contradict during our meeting.

The removability of a headphone cable always has my approval, Kennerton dissapoint me not on this point; the XLR connectors are good.

But choosing a Jack 3.5 and not 6.35 mm, with respect to him, leaves me doubtful. Although the sensitivity of 104 dB / mW of the Odin makes it actually compatible with nomadic use, regarding a headphone of open architecture, it is difficult for my part do not to assume that listening sedentary is its first vocation and that it must therefore be primarily equipped for this purpose.

With a very good versatility, Odin is a globally balanced headphone, without marked emphasis or inter-frequency accidental encroachment. The treble are refined, the midrange is rich and the bass is textured. It seemed to me to be more expressive than the Abyss in some places in the high-mid range, a brighter hint in the treble, and lesser deep in the low. In fact, its tonal balance stands out towards the orthodynamiques models I've had the opportunity to hear before him.

(Comparison with the Abyss)
What I appreciate, among other aspects with the Abyss, is the dullness he show without sacrificing the transparency, because I am one those who accommodate with hardly, henceforth, with a high-mids a little bit pronounced or demonstrative. This is the first question that comes to my mind when I decided to try my hand at such or such headphones. With Odin, I have not felt like this, at least in being coupled, in mode OTL, to a SOLARIS AudioValve amp, then an AudioValve MARK3, I might add; no projection, no hardness and no sibilance will be felt ; no roundness and slackness will only be heard. In short, the Odin has the musicality that is suitable and also the energy that is needed, in what concerns me, because if it does not impact as much as one knows how Abyss, it is not very far away...

Obviously, the Abyss remains undisputed in terms of image ... However, this Odin doesn't lack of openness or of sound perspective, and clearly shows that it can do proof of ventilation between the different orchestral desks and the musical notes. Its presentation is classic, at halfway of its listener if I may express it thus, i.e. neither too frontal or very indented.

Was it mandatory that I confront Odin with the Abyss? This was inevitable, in a first time, since their price and regarding their respective potential ; without forgetting to put in balance the thorny part of the amplification ; the requirements of the first being significantly lower than those of the second. This done, if it decided to retain that the acoustic aspect, I would not refractory to see complementarity to substitute the rivalry ; the Odin knowing to be more accurate in the space that is his own, more intimate when it lends more and sometimes subtly more expressive in its musicality as the Abyss. For or against? It is up to each to see or rather to hear... "

Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178829837.html#p178829837

Otherwise, according to Pierre Paya (french reseller), the version of 200 Ohms of the LCD4 (currently ongoing assessment ; compared to Odin, HE-1000, Abyss ... see photos below) would be difficult to drive in terms of amplification ; It would be more difficult to amplify that the Abyss ! (probably because of its sensitivity reduced (compared to other headphones audeze) and especially his high impedance of 200 Ohms).

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #500 of 10,033
  Hello the forum,

Impressive work @levap and a not familiar gender for me.
I would point out that ODIN lacks some width speaking of opening. Conceptual  crossfeed weakness ? I'm wondering myself if I didn't read that Kennerton had worked on this ultimately.

Could you be more specific, what do mean "lacks some width speaking of opening" (may be couple of examples on music)? Odins don't have vast sounstage as Abysses or Senns 800 do, but if vast or middle-size soundstage is more natural - not easy and content-dependent question.

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #501 of 10,033
@levap the fact is that I listen principally to large phalanxes playing generally Symphonies or Orchestral Concerti.
On Mahler or Shostakovich work I find the ODIN at its limit. HD800 shows there a better behavior but its trebles don't convince.
The Abyss has no contender.
But I agree with your comment that a quartet of strings is a big reward for the ODIN.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #502 of 10,033
So, here is second part of Odin's history translation. Original story was written by one of the Kennerton's designers, Maxim (aka Hardcorist) and posted in their non-official blog. I've made a (poor) translation, hope it will be interesting

On august 2012, our director Valentin, with sparkling eyes rushed in our office and stated: "OK, let's try! Nikita, make me an isodynamic!". And it started. Approximate driver configuration was on our mind, because Nikita and I discussed possibility of such project before. We've started search, who can help us construct it properly and then manufacture it. Chinese membranes we rejected because of their physical specs (and also we don't want to create another HiFiMans). I've suggested to look at manufacturers, who makes flexible PCBs, as technologies are similar.

Director of one company (I won't disclose names) that makes speakers for big acoustics came to help us. This company has great experience (it's a last shard of legendary All-Union Scientific Research Institute of broadcast reception and acoustics named after A. S. Popov), and company's director once was a disciple of Irina Arkadjevna Aldoshina (famous russian psychoacoustic researcher — note from translator). So, our R&D started to progress drastically. Actually, this company manufactures Odin's drivers. We've figured out drivers geometry and created specifications. Next few month we spent together, working on magnetic system and membrane configuration. We've learned magnetic fields strength chart and other sophisticated stuff, found issues, redo plots and started again. Half year later, we've got first driver samples. That sample had 100% of surface covered with tracks (and I preferred that sample more than final release driver).

The fact is that flexibility of such membrane is more uniform and predictable, but it caused more wight and worse internal fading in membrane (I hope you know, what is that). Nikita selected another option, we're using now, without false-tracks on the sides. Partially, I've agreed with this decision, but we had really lot of work to make it sound properly.

Further research showed that we need to get under control bending deformation of membrane. I've offered corrugating, in first version concentrical, then — linear across the membrane's tracks. Also I've offered vibration damping coating at membrane's edges to reject edge reflections. I've got this idea from studying vintage isodynamic treble speakers. We were impressed with this sample, and Nikita decided to use it. Then we've started the work on acoustical design (driver damping). So passed year. Meanwhile I was developing construction of headband and cups. And I can say firmly — I'm proud of this work. We've really made something unique, sturdy, beautiful and comfortable. And we didn't get any single element from existing solutions, it was 100% created in my head.

I'll share a secret. First we wanted to make cable connection via binding post, like in big speakers. Just imagine, you take any piece of wire, bind it, and you got cable! But after few weeks of estimation and 3D modelling, we've decided that it would be really problematic. Cable should be somehow fixated to avoid tottering and possible break near the terminal. It can't be done nicely, and total size of this connector grown unpleasantly. So, we decided to not invent wheel and go on with miniXLR. I've redesigned cups for this connectors and presented final design to colleagues.

Meanwhile, it was summer 2014. Nikita continued experiments with damping, one subcontractor was sewing earpads, other one was casting grills, third one was printing membranes. I've spent pair of month in wood workshop alone with commuter and miller, and dived into cups manufacturing. Yes, I'm making first samples myself, it allows me to "feel" final product and work out technology of mass production. At that time, we've opted to participate in IFA-2014 in Berlin. Final version of Odins I've brought to office one day before sortie. We even didn't burn them in.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #503 of 10,033
Many thanks, Cleg, for the translation of this second part of Odin's history.

Very exciting story that you report, here, on the genesis of Odin

For a first isodynamic headphone, it was a master stroke. Bravo!

The manufacturing of the drivers and the headphone exudes seriousness and solidity. The adjustment mechanism is well thought out, solid and precise.
The quality of wood (currently sapele) of cups is appreciable.
(note: happy will be the future owners of the two Odin, exclusive version, with cups in wooden Karelian Birch ...)

However, some problems of youth (minor) remain yet to correct, particularly regarding the headband adjustment amplitude, who size currently a bit large (for small heads); but the French are not private to remedy it, brilliantly!
(note: just providing a slightly shorter leather suspension headband, slightly wider and thicker, and ideally padded, like this (handmade), designed to himself (and some others) by a French (Kéké on HCFR) : see photos below).

Lagoduche's version of the K. Odin (full upgrade with Vectura C (Litz wire) cable)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178832140.html#p178832140

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #504 of 10,033
However, some problems of youth (minor) remain yet to correct, particularly regarding the headband adjustment amplitude, who size currently a bit large (for small heads); but the French are not private to remedy it, brilliantly!
(note: just providing a slightly shorter leather suspension headband, slightly wider and thicker, and ideally padded, like this (handmade), designed to himself (and some others) by a French (Kéké on HCFR) : see photos below).

Guys from Kennerton wanted to ask, what size of headband would be better in your opinion? Especially distance between holes, it's a defining element of size

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #506 of 10,033
Hello @cleg,

Your question will get as much answers as human types existing.
There will be always some pressure.
The genius behind the Abyss is the adjustable horizontal rod.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #508 of 10,033
Hello @cleg,

Your question will get as much answers as human types existing.
There will be always some pressure.
The genius behind the Abyss is the adjustable horizontal rod.

It's not my question. guys from Kennerton requested me to ask. May be they're gathering statistics, may be they want to include few different stripes, may they'll do some changes. Sorry, I don't know :)
But anyway, they got this feedback and thinking about improvements.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #509 of 10,033
Guys from Kennerton wanted to ask, what size of headband would be better in your opinion? Especially distance between holes, it's a defining element of size

Here is the answer by Keke (translation)

" Hello, there are exactly 16.7 centimeters between the two holes.
I think it allows the headphones to fit any head size.
And particularly small heads.
I also believe that the thickness and stiffness (no deformation) of the headband enables fine adjustment. "

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178833125.html#p178833125

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #510 of 10,033
but you could find the answer just by looking at photos of the "Kékénnerton". Two estimates made ; two found answers: 16.5 cm and 17 cm (center to center holes).

Explanation, here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178833279.html#p178833279
"Kékénnerton" headband, brown version (note : maximum width of the leather headband (padded) is 4 cm)

EDIT: Otherwise, here are the first listening impression of the new Kennerton Vali (by P. Paya) (in French): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178833560.html#p178833560 and http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178834225.html#p178834225
and by Davidsylvian38 (in French): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178833602.html#p178833602

A loan list of this headphone Vali (which promises to be very impressive) is now established; I am currently the 4th designated French tester (from a list of 8 names, currently).

EDIT two: The sensitivity (in dB / 1 Vrms) of the Odin @ 40 Ohm would be 14-20 dB higher than that of the LCD4 @ 200 Ohm, also expressed in dB / 1 Vrms.
Explanation, here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178834097.html#p178834097

EDIT three: Why the Kennerton Vali is heavy (almost as much as Odin?)
The explanation in pictures, here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178836275.html#p178836275

EDIT four: LCD4 @200 Ohm Vs Abyss: no match? (they would not be in the same class): http://tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=392469#p392469
then: LCD4 @200 Ohm Vs Odin: no match, also?, knowing that the Odin is a serious challenger to the Abyss, equally appreciated, in the same (first) class.

Moreover, as already said above, the LCD4 @200 Ohm sensitivity is from 14 to 20 dB lower than that of the Odin @40 Ohm: 98-104 dB / 1 Vrms Vs 118 dB / 1 Vrms (depending on whether it takes account of the official sensitivity of the LCD4: 97 dB / 1 mW @ 200 ohms or perceived (real?): 91 dB ? / 1 mW @ 200 ohms : explanation here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178834097.html#p178834097).
According to initial tests, the effective sensitivity of the LCD4 @200 Ohm (in dB / 1 Vrms) is slightly lower (2 dB ?) than that of the Abyss: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178834186.html#p178834186, and considerably lower than that of the Odin. The LCD4 would be even more difficult to drive than the Abyss (and more boring to listen (*)). Provide an Egoista 845 amp to stir a bit the LCD4 (version 200 Ohm).
(*) http://tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=392517#p392517 .

Regarding the sensitivity, it (LCD4) is an absolute "no match" with the Odin ; the latter being much easier to drive (see above).
Regarding the price (twice that of the Odin, in France), it is also, a "no match": they are not in the same category, for sure
wink.gif

EDIT five: Soon two feedbacks (with more complete listening impressions) from the new Kennerton Vali (the first in Europe) by sle and misterc (two french forumer) (note: first impressions apparently very positive: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178837161.html#p178837161); I am the fourth tester on the waiting list to try this headphone; I look forward in advance to receive this headphone and soon compare it with my Odin.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT six: 104 dB / 1mW @40 Ohm Vs 89.5 dB / 1mW @206 Ohm : which is the best, which is most effective? For Rock & Metal music, for example
wink.gif

or

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back