KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #706 of 1,358
Yep, you can see the boost in that low end gradually decreasing up to 500hz, that's inline with what I'm hearing however, I wouldn't let this bother anyone because the mid range is wonderful at pushing through in detail and crispness. I find they bring good emotional out in vocals especially.

You know, if KEF didnt decide on such a pathetic design which could of been avoided imo I would buy a pair instantly, but the troublesome fit and POS ear guides cost them a sale.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #707 of 1,358
Actually the bass boost never really bothered me as the mids seem pretty much unaffected by it. But I am kind of a bass lover I must confess.

What bothered me a bit was the dip around 1khz. Male voices sounded a bit thin and I corrected the this range with EQ.
I am more or less hearing with a flat frequency response now from 0Hz to 2 khz. Sounds slightly dark but I like that.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #708 of 1,358
You know, if KEF didnt decide on such a pathetic design which could of been avoided imo I would buy a pair instantly, but the troublesome fit and POS ear guides cost them a sale.

I am sure it cost them a lot of sales. They fit me quite well but I find Westones a lot more comfortable.
I guess the technical question is: how do you place a 10mm and a 5,5 mm driver in people's ears ?

In my case the hooks are pretty much useless. When the phones fit, the hook points slightly to the back of my head. When I wear them it looks quite different to how KEF suggested to wear them.

Someone in the German forum just cut off the hooks and wears them cable-over-ear now. Pictures can be found here (scroll down a bit for more pics): http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=211&thread=561&postID=62#62

Would'nt recommend this one; I guess it voids the warranty.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #709 of 1,358
Interesting enough, you can bring that deep powerful low end down quite a bit if you wear the earphone with a more shallow fit. And you won't sacrifice in the mids or highs. I personally love that deep bass though. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #710 of 1,358
It's not so much the housings that I loath I could probably manage those, it's those ridiculous ear guides. Had KEF never seen regular simple hoop or bendable piece of wire that can flex in all directions before... And the tips can go the same time. I honestly have to straighten them out and wear them like two horns sticking up either side of my head, lol, literally.

Like been mentioned I had thoughts of buying a pair and cutting off the guides just above the housing because with a tip alternative they support the weight of the housing from my canal. Anyway I just think it's an absolute nightmare and ruining what could be a wonderful experience.

I won't go on about it and longer.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #711 of 1,358
Because of the fit I ended up buying the Westone 3's, as I had an amazon gift certificate which brought them down to 130 bucks.  I also know that Westone's fit me well, and I'll be using them to monitor sound on documentary shoot's, so I don't want to worry about fit.  Hopefully they do make a redesigned m200 as I'd be all over those in a second, they sound wonderful!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #712 of 1,358
I've been listening to the m200's mainly off of the c3/bh combo since getting them. But the c3 needed charging, and I wanted to use them at the gym, so its the first time trying them on my rb'd clip zip (with tf10 tips). I gotta say, they are sounding rather great.. nice pairing! And not bad for a $30 dap :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #713 of 1,358
Just thought I would mention I have a new found appreciation for the M500s after auditioning the Sony MDR 7520s for the past two weeks.  Initially I thought the 7520s sound signature was way too bright.  With subsequent listening sessions the 7520s sounded less bright while the M500s started sounding veiled.  Then yesterday I listened to the 7520s after not having listened to them for a few days.  To my dismay the 7520s sounded as overly bright as the first time I listened to them.  I like treble that sparkles but the treble with the 7520s is jarring.  Today after doing one last A/B with the M500/7520, I returned the 7520s.  Maybe I should given the 7520s more burn in time.  The thing is the M500s sounded good the first day I listened to them.  The M500s never made my ears rings after prolonged listening sessions.  I can't say the same about the 7520s.  

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #714 of 1,358
  Just thought I would mention I have a new found appreciation for the M500s after auditioning the Sony MDR 7520s for the past two weeks.  Initially I thought the 7520s sound signature was way too bright.  With subsequent listening sessions the 7520s sounded less bright while the M500s started sounding veiled.  Then yesterday I listened to the 7520s after not having listened to them for a few days.  To my dismay the 7520s sounded as overly bright as the first time I listened to them.  I like treble that sparkles but the treble with the 7520s is jarring.  Today after doing one last A/B with the M500/7520, I returned the 7520s.  Maybe I should given the 7520s more burn in time.  The thing is the M500s sounded good the first day I listened to them.  The M500s never made my ears rings after prolonged listening sessions.  I can't say the same about the 7520s.  

Take THAT 7520's! 

Seriously, those are interesting impressions. How many hours did you put on your 7520's? At any rate, it sure is a good example "brain burn in".

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #716 of 1,358
Ue900 back on the m200. Very nice!

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #717 of 1,358
Anyways, KEF provided a FR graph, but something always seemed odd to me. According to KEF, M500's sound sig should be very close to UERM. But there's definitely more bass on KEF. So, here's the FR graph of KEF M500 measured by Golden Ears. I agree with Golden Ears FR graph more.
http://ko.goldenears.net/3804145
But overall, very good it seemed. Slight roll off from bottom to top is quite desirable nowadays.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #718 of 1,358
I got the M200 about a week ago and I've been enjoying them immensely, with no fit issues using the small stock tips. Seeing as they're already comfortable with the stock tips, is there any sonic benefit to tip rolling or is it just all about the fit?

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #720 of 1,358

Users who are viewing this thread

Back