KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #676 of 1,358
I was looking to buy myself a nice christmas present so figured I wanted a pair of nice portable headphones. Up until now I always had sort of entry level headphones/in-ears, with the highest end being a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs, which I don't really like due to comfort issues. Anyway, I was first thinking about the momentum on-ears and really liked them when I listened to them in the local huge media outlet (Saturn, for those from Germany). Then I figured I'd also go have a look at the local Hi-fi audio store, which had the m500 on display. After listening to it and also to the B&W P5, I really, really liked the M500, way better than the P5. Also went back to listen to Momentum on-ears, which at that point were really uncomfortable compared to the M500.
So I ended up buying the M500 and man are they awesome! :) Since I'm green as grass here, I can't really compare it to other headphones in the same category, but holy s*** are they nicer sounding than my SE215s... All the music I listen to has an extra level of detail to it and songs I know well have all sorts of nice little sounds in them. :) Separate instruments have so much more space around them and they remain separate even when the music is "busy". The bass (for instance on Drake - Started from the bottom) is much more punchy without muddling all other sounds. Pianos (ie. Agnes Obel - Close Watch) have so much more detail and some chaotic, double bass heavy jazz (Phronesis - Abraham's new gift) still has a really nice crisp clear hi-hat in it. All of this from listening to it on my iPhone 4S, using Spotify in the highest quality.

As you can see I'm quite happy with my M500s, even though I might have been just has happy with any other headphone in this category (although the P5s are worse in my memory).
So far my 2 cents...

Cheers

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #677 of 1,358
Zup fellas! 

I have a question for you who've heard (preferably own) both the M500 and M200:

Me personally, I think the B&W P7 is a significant improvement over the M500, especially with regards to treble refinement and soundstage. I've kept the M500 as it feels more rugged against tough weather with it's more durable construction, compared to the P7 which I feel I want to take care of to preserve the leather. I also like the fact that the M500 is much smaller, and fits in my pocket for travel. 

But while the M500 sounds very good, its treble is not for me. So I wonder, is the M200 a better sounding piece? An in-ear would be even better for the uses I've specifically kept the M500 for, so if it sounds better then I might sell the M500 and go with the M200 instead. I know IEM soundstage isn't comparable to larger headphones, but as long as it isn't too bad I can deal with it. 

Also seen many people complain about the fit, is it that much of an issue? 

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #678 of 1,358
  Zup fellas! 

I have a question for you who've heard (preferably own) both the M500 and M200:

Me personally, I think the B&W P7 is a significant improvement over the M500, especially with regards to treble refinement and soundstage. I've kept the M500 as it feels more rugged against tough weather with it's more durable construction, compared to the P7 which I feel I want to take care of to preserve the leather. I also like the fact that the M500 is much smaller, and fits in my pocket for travel. 

But while the M500 sounds very good, its treble is not for me. So I wonder, is the M200 a better sounding piece? An in-ear would be even better for the uses I've specifically kept the M500 for, so if it sounds better then I might sell the M500 and go with the M200 instead. I know IEM soundstage isn't comparable to larger headphones, but as long as it isn't too bad I can deal with it. 

Also seen many people complain about the fit, is it that much of an issue? 

Thanks!

The M200 sounds nothing like the M500. It's really hard to compare the two. The M200 is a bit warmer sounding and less analytical sounding as the M500 is (but still has a lot of detail in the sound). Soundstage is actually quite spacious in the M200, but I would have to listen to both again later to tell which has the bigger soundstage. Earphones can have a large soundstage, but headphones usually have a larger headstage. Both sound fantastic to me, but neither KEF sound like the other.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #679 of 1,358
  I was looking to buy myself a nice christmas present so figured I wanted a pair of nice portable headphones. Up until now I always had sort of entry level headphones/in-ears, with the highest end being a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs, which I don't really like due to comfort issues. Anyway, I was first thinking about the momentum on-ears and really liked them when I listened to them in the local huge media outlet (Saturn, for those from Germany). Then I figured I'd also go have a look at the local Hi-fi audio store, which had the m500 on display. After listening to it and also to the B&W P5, I really, really liked the M500, way better than the P5. Also went back to listen to Momentum on-ears, which at that point were really uncomfortable compared to the M500.
So I ended up buying the M500 and man are they awesome! :) Since I'm green as grass here, I can't really compare it to other headphones in the same category, but holy s*** are they nicer sounding than my SE215s... All the music I listen to has an extra level of detail to it and songs I know well have all sorts of nice little sounds in them. :) Separate instruments have so much more space around them and they remain separate even when the music is "busy". The bass (for instance on Drake - Started from the bottom) is much more punchy without muddling all other sounds. Pianos (ie. Agnes Obel - Close Watch) have so much more detail and some chaotic, double bass heavy jazz (Phronesis - Abraham's new gift) still has a really nice crisp clear hi-hat in it. All of this from listening to it on my iPhone 4S, using Spotify in the highest quality.

As you can see I'm quite happy with my M500s, even though I might have been just has happy with any other headphone in this category (although the P5s are worse in my memory).
So far my 2 cents...

Cheers

Hey Yuggie! Welcome to head-fi, and sorry for your wallet!

Nice impressions of the M500, and it's great that you are loving them so much (me also). From what I have read (from great threads like this one), most people prefer them to the Momentums, and everyone prefers them to the P5's. Their main competition at the moment it seems are the P7's and HP50's. Some people prefer those ones to the M500's, while others prefer the M500's. So a lot of it comes down to personal preference and if you like what you are hearing from the M500's, then you done good!

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #680 of 1,358
These Kef M200 have one of the most bizarre fitting mechanisms I've ever seen! I've been sitting here staring at them and trying to make them  fit for about 10 minutes. They do however sound nice from Studio V when I can get them to seal. What on earth were they thinking! 

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #681 of 1,358
  These Kef M200 have one of the most bizarre fitting mechanisms I've ever seen! I've been sitting here staring at them and trying to make them  fit for about 10 minutes. They do however sound nice from Studio V when I can get them to seal. What on earth were they thinking! 

Actually, I think they have "anti-fitting mechanisms" lol. I managed to find some success though...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-yamaha-hph-200-pg-1110-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/17250#post_10034373

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #682 of 1,358

Actually, I think they have "anti-fitting mechanisms" lol. I managed to find some success though...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-yamaha-hph-200-pg-1110-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/17250#post_10034373

I ended up using Heir tips, you should pick a set up sometime, they began cooperating only once I changed the tips over. I ended up using them with the hoops straight up in the air like two antennas hanging above my head, then that got boring so I bent them over a few times and I think we're actually getting somewhere., but the housing does NOT want to stay at the right angle to allow a seal with the hoops bent. Seriously, What were they thinking, surely there could of been easier methods than this, I don't think I've ever had so many problems with fitting before, this is coming from someone who can just plop TF10 straight on. Putting the complaining aside they sound very nice, natural, and they are rather power hungry, my Studio is pushing on 26/31 to keep them moving.  

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #683 of 1,358
^ Lol - yeah, I don't know. All I know is that I finally got them fitted/sealed, and now I'm bummed that my C3 ran out of juice!

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #685 of 1,358
I have to say the M500 paired with the Audioengine D3 is very nice. Much more revealing with great transparency.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #686 of 1,358
My mouse finger just slipped and I ordered a pair of the M500.  From what I have read on this thread, the reported sound characteristics of the KEF M500 and what I am currently hearing with the Martin Logan Mikros 90 are exactly the same.  Have been wanting to do an a/b between the two, so maybe this is the time to do it.  

If the M500 can possibly sound better than the Mikros 90, I would sure like to find out.  Right now, the Mikros 90 are getting more head time than my re-cabled HE-6 running balanced directly from the speaker outputs.

: )

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #687 of 1,358
Quote:
  UE900 tips work quite well with the M200 for me.

Eric, are you still using the UE900 tips on your M200's?

As you know, I've been really loving the M200's with the UE TF10 and Comply Ts500 tips. Wondering if it would be worth while snagging some UE900 tips to try!

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #688 of 1,358
Eric, are you still using the UE900 tips on your M200's?

As you know, I've been really loving the M200's with the UE TF10 and Comply Ts500 tips. Wondering if it would be worth while snagging some UE900 tips to try!

No buddy. I've been using the large stock tips and now theses large clear silicon tips I pulled from a Meel 11 variety pack (I believe). But with some effort and twisting I can get the stock tips to work just fine. The ones you use are great, or look for the MEEL ATIPS.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #690 of 1,358
I'm also looking for a comparison, as I want to buy either the westone 3 which is on sale or the m200, anyone heard both?  Always liked the westone house sound and have owned the westone 4 and um3x, liked the um3x better....I do own the ASG-2, looking for something to compliment it.  Thanks in advance!

Zach

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back