JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #676 of 1,936
Thanks for the good info. I have to give those tips a try. I also use a shirt clip to help with the weight of the wire tugging on the IEM's. JVC's shirt clip is designed so well. Not surprised that the 80 is holding it's own against the 40. 40's great standing alone, but starts treading water in A/B comparisons.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #677 of 1,936
Quote:
 Not surprised that the 80 is holding it's own against the 40. 40's great standing alone, but starts treading water in A/B comparisons.

I think he meant the FXD80 is holding it's own against the cheaper Monster phone while the FX40 is inferior to both.

It was slipped in this thread quietly but I think that was a challenge
devil_face.gif
! What FXD80 owner will answer?
popcorn.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #679 of 1,936
Who'll get there first? 
smile.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #680 of 1,936
a challenge?? what, who me! Naw I wouldn't do that LOL.

But if anyone is a wee bit curious you might want to check out a Walmart LOL.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #681 of 1,936
So, I've found the perfect tips for my ears thanks to FlySweep. I'll wait and give him a chance to announce them, but they are sturdy, nice fit around the driver's shell, thick silicon, and they add more bass to the FXD80. And the tips don't block any of the wonderful details coming out of the IEMs. I'll give him a chance to announce it since it was his discovery. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #682 of 1,936
LOL.. just go ahead and tell 'em, man!  
etysmile.gif

Actually.. I'm sure some of you are already familiar with them if you've tip rolled for other IEMs.  The Auvio tips (available at from Radio Shack) offer a fantastic sound & fit on the FXD80.  Not only does it provide the most transparent sound I've heard from the 80s... they're extremely comfortable.. arguably the most comfortable tips I've worn.  They'll work with a variety of IEMs too (they were my favorite tips for the Silver Bullet, as well).

They look a little like the Sony hybrids.. but from the moment you feel them in your hands, you can tell they're better constructed.  The outer rubber is thicker but softer and more pliable.  The (colored) inner gasket (that hugs the IEMs nozzle) is thicker & more secure too.  They feature a nice, wide bore opening so none of the 80's driver nozzle is covered.  Also, the tips are longer than the hybrid tips so they'll accommodate "long nozzle" phones (like the 80) with ease.  Best of all they're (relatively) quite affordable.. only 7.99 for a pack with a variety of sizes.

I, too, found the stock tips excessively stiff and sharp.  Rolling a variety of other tips tended to do some funky things with the mid bass and collapsed treble response pretty strongly in some cases.  The Auvio tips were the best tips I've rolled onto the 80s to date.  Dale (from Aurisonics) originally included these with the AS-2 prototype I auditioned.  He too raved about the comfort they provided and they are his 'go to' tips, as well.

One of the most fun tips I rolled onto the 80 was the HiFiMan biflange that comes with the RE262/RE272 (the standard biflange, not the massive one with a large amount of space between the two flanges).  If you want to hear incredibly airy, sparkly treble and a very balanced bass response, give these guys a shot.. man it was a fun sound!  Sibilance can appear pretty quickly if you've got even borderline mediocre recordings.. plus the center imaging didn't seems right (music was split heavily to the left and right).

One thing I have found is that insertion depth & angling is exceedingly important with this phone.  I've seen how drastically midbass & treble can be impacted by slight changes in angling and depth.. so carefully experiment and see what works best for you.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #683 of 1,936
Great suggestion. I have Auveo's in my growing collection of tips, but they have been sitting there neglected. My choice for the 80's at the moment are Monster gels. Enjoyable, but no way am I wed to them. Looking forward to a test run with Auveo's.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #684 of 1,936
Tried some Sennheiser double flange and they work well on the FXD80 but may be too bright for some. Current favourite for me are the foams that came with some of my XEARS. Previously never found any use for them as they were a little small for normal IEM but they are great for these due to the deep insertion.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #685 of 1,936
Quote:
LOL.. just go ahead and tell 'em, man!  
etysmile.gif

Actually.. I'm sure some of you are already familiar with them if you've tip rolled for other IEMs.  The Auvio tips (available at from Radio Shack) offer a fantastic sound & fit on the FXD80.  Not only does it provide the most transparent sound I've heard from the 80s... they're extremely comfortable.. arguably the most comfortable tips I've worn.  They'll work with a variety of IEMs too (they were my favorite tips for the Silver Bullet, as well).

They look a little like the Sony hybrids.. but from the moment you feel them in your hands, you can tell they're better constructed.  The outer rubber is thicker but softer and more pliable.  The (colored) inner gasket (that hugs the IEMs nozzle) is thicker & more secure too.  They feature a nice, wide bore opening so none of the 80's driver nozzle is covered.  Also, the tips are longer than the hybrid tips so they'll accommodate "long nozzle" phones (like the 80) with ease.  Best of all they're (relatively) quite affordable.. only 7.99 for a pack with a variety of sizes.

I, too, found the stock tips excessively stiff and sharp.  Rolling a variety of other tips tended to do some funky things with the mid bass and collapsed treble response pretty strongly in some cases.  The Auvio tips were the best tips I've rolled onto the 80s to date.  Dale (from Aurisonics) originally included these with the AS-2 prototype I auditioned.  He too raved about the comfort they provided and they are his 'go to' tips, as well.

One of the most fun tips I rolled onto the 80 was the HiFiMan biflange that comes with the RE262/RE272 (the standard biflange, not the massive one with a large amount of space between the two flanges).  If you want to hear incredibly airy, sparkly treble and a very balanced bass response, give these guys a shot.. man it was a fun sound!  Sibilance can appear pretty quickly if you've got even borderline mediocre recordings.. plus the center imaging didn't seems right (music was split heavily to the left and right).

One thing I have found is that insertion depth & angling is exceedingly important with this phone.  I've seen how drastically midbass & treble can be impacted by slight changes in angling and depth.. so carefully experiment and see what works best for you.

So true about the angling and insertion depth of these IEMs, FlySweep. That's why a right-fitting tips is so important. It not only improves on the sound, but also hold these metal IEMs in your ears properly (not that they are heavy, but can be with the wrong size tips in your ears and can start pulling out on their own). Also I want to add that these aren't the original Auvio tips from like three years ago. I think Radio Shack found a new OEM because these tips are better, thicker and much more well constructed than the ones I have from a few years back (which weren't color coordinated either). Thanks again FlySweep!

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #686 of 1,936
Quote:

Is there a way I can source the Auvio tips? Radioshack does not have International shipping as far as I can see. From your description, they are exactly what I am looking for.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #687 of 1,936
And we have lift off, finally got my FX80's, i can see what the fuss is about, they're like a lighter, flightier eph-100.

Those are still king of edm for me, whilst i reckon the jvc will own for vocals and percussion.

Gave myself a quick little listen, and it's straight in with the harsh burn in, and no peeking for at least two days of burn.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #688 of 1,936
This is getting very interesting. I may have to wait kiteki reviews the FXD80 alongsode the GR07 MKII before I consider which one to get. I also have the EPH-100 on my shortlist. I have seen the FR graph for the EPH-100 on Golden Ears.net and the FR graph for the FXD80 on Sonove's site. All I have to go with for the GR07 so far are subjectivde reviews (and the hype train of course
rolleyes.gif
). Considering that I really liked the neutral, accurate, and expansive soundstage qualities that my late RE252 possessed, it seems like I may more inclined to choose this way: GR07 MKII>EPH-100>FXD80. But I'm still undecided. I DO know that all of them would beat my SE215 which I bought to hold me over and I find to be bass-heavy and treble-light. Worst $110.00 I spent when it comes to the sound signature.

Those looking at the EPH-100 can get them here: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #689 of 1,936
Quote:
All I have to go with for the GR07 so far are subjectivde reviews (and the hype train of course
rolleyes.gif

So in your opinion the FXD80 isn't hyped? 
wink.gif

Almost all new IEM's are hyped in some way... but the GR07, at least, the MK1, did indeed get a lot of praise from seasoned reviewers.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #690 of 1,936
Quote:
So in your opinion the FXD80 isn't hyped? 
wink.gif

Almost all new IEM's are hyped in some way... but the GR07, at least, the MK1, did indeed get a lot of praise from seasoned reviewers.

The FXD80 is definitely hyped, yes, but there are measurements that help explain the reason for it aside from the excellent price and sound it outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back