JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #301 of 2,211
IMO, The RE262 is dark and thick compared to the FXT90, and the FXT90 is a knockout with strings and horns in comparison......

Unamped, I would agree with you. But I almost never listen to RE262 unamped so I have plenty of detail on it and doesn't find it dark or thick at all.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #302 of 2,211

Quote:
Unamped, I would agree with you. But I almost never listen to RE262 unamped so I have plenty of detail on it and doesn't find it dark or thick at all.

I only listen on my main gears at home... I listen only to (wav's) Jriver Media Center/Wasapi Event mode >  from my computer > Pure Silver USB > Vlink > Pure Silver Coax > Audio-GD NFB 2 > Mingda Amp (fresh Mullard CV2975 Power Tubes and Mullard CV4035 Amplifier Tubes) > GR07, FXT90.

These are highly resolving gears, so not unamped by any means. Comparison was with my other IEM, the RE262 sounded veiled, mid's, lack high's.   Only my opinion though as I do not have that problem with GR07 or FXT90.  The RE262 were returned to head-direct.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #303 of 2,211
IMO, The RE262 is dark and thick compared to the FXT90, and the FXT90 is a knockout with strings and horns in comparison.

I own both the FXT &  the RE262.. My experience with both mirrors ClieOS'.  The RE262's midrange is liquid, but has excellent air, weight, and detail.  The FXT's mids are (relatively) thicker, less articulate, and less balanced.

Strings and horns sound great on both, but I find those instruments to sound less colored, better detailed, and more articulate on the RE262.  Strings simply breathe more on the RE262, to me.. though they sound very lifelike on the FXT too.  Both phones do a nice job of having a forward but not (overly) aggressive midrange.. the RE262's midrange just sound more "mature" to me, though.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #304 of 2,211

Quote:
I own both the FXT &  the RE262.. My experience with both mirrors ClieOS'.  The RE262's midrange is liquid, but has excellent air, weight, and detail.  The FXT's mids are (relatively) thicker, less articulate, and less balanced.

Strings and horns sound great on both, but I find those instruments to sound less colored, better detailed, and more articulate on the RE262.  Strings simply breathe more on the RE262, to me.. though they sound very lifelike on the FXT too.  Both phones do a nice job of having a forward but not (overly) aggressive midrange.. the RE262's midrange just sound more "mature" to me, though.

Don't have the RE262's any longer, I didn't think they were as articulate in the mids as the other two.  What I mean by mids, are vocals, maybe I misunderstand mids.  Source and genre may be different on my end, and I never listen to a portable player with any of these...........  Just my opinion with my gears..

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #305 of 2,211
This reply is great news for me, thanks shotgunshane. I really don't need FXT90 then (though one can't be 100% sure without trying with his own ears).

I sold my Denon C710 after buying and loving the GR07 and I recently bought a Fostex T50RP and I am going to mod it with wooden earcups and silver plated copper or pure copper wires.

I have to stay away from iems for some time (if I can
redface.gif
). (well I can't
evil_smiley.gif
)

Quote:

Here is something I posted in another thread that seems an appropriate response:

The GR07 sound sig is a more balanced and monitor like and maybe just a hair more clarity than the FXT90.  To me the GR07 treble is pretty smooth being neither dark nor overly bright with decent sparkle but no air.  Mids are clear and a little forward.  Distortion guitars have really, really great bite.  The bass has little mid bass and mostly sub bass presence.  They really have good sub bass rumble and texture.  On the down side, the dynamic range is soft, which means less of a difference presented between powerful and delicate passages.  I believe this also attributes to it's shallow soundstage depth.  However it does have a very wide soundstage.

The FXT90 sound sig is more musical and layered.  The FXT90 treble is brighter with more sparkle than the GR07.  Mids are more forward and clear and can be more intimate when necessary.  The bass is equal parts mid bass and sub bass, so while it doesn't have quite the same rumble as the GR07, it does have more punch.  The FXT90 is very dynamic and very powerful in it's presentation.  It transitions easily from delicate to powerful passages.  The soundstage is only average in width but has excellent depth due to the greater dynamics, layering and reverb the dual drivers produce.  Instrument realism is superb and rivals that of it's big brother the FX700.

I think the FXT90 is a little more comfortable to wear and I like the cable better, as it is supple and easy to deal with.  The GR07 cable is stiffer and tougher to deal with but its housing is comfortable in it's own right, considering it contains an 11mm driver.

You really can't go wrong with either.  If you want a more monitor like presentation with more sub bass rumble, go with the GR07.  If you want a more powerful and musical presentation, go with the FXT90.  Or be like me and buy them both.

Edit: I forgot to answer your other questions.  The majority of hours I've spent with the FXT90 are a loaner pair.  I'm not sure how many they had before I got them but I've many listening hours on them.  The reason I'd keep both?  I'll keep anything that appeals to my preferences.  I've gotten rid of several top tiers, not b/c they were bad but b/c they didn't match my preferences close enough.  Both the GR07 and FXT90 do.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #306 of 2,211
I think the biggest difference for me is, RE262 sounds mid-centric but effortless, smooth, relaxing and well layered; FXT90 sounds mid-centric but more obvious, more dynamic, and more aggressive. It is higher in fun factor but lower in articulation.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #307 of 2,211
Hi,

I just newbie here, want to buy my first iem. Thank you for this helpful thread. After researched, I think i will order the new limited edition of JVC HA-FXT90L2  from amazon.co.jp and using tenso.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B005XH2N0A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Is this new amp ibasso d5 good enough (compatible) with JVC HA-FXT90?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00539QKMK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

I am planning to buy this amp together with JVC HA-FXT90L2 and save some cost for shipping. Any suggestions for other amp?or is it wise decision o invest the ibasso d5? because it costs more than the JVC HA-FXT90L2.
My daily use for these combination is mainly for laptop.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #308 of 2,211

Quote:

Well, after these comments from experienced head-fiers, I need to rethink where I am at.  Maybe I did not have the RE262's long enough for them to perform the way they are described by ClieOS, shotgunshane and FlySweep.  Time to sell the FXT90's and purchase the much higher regarded RE262's....  Thanks guys, I want something "less colored, better detailed and more articulate" than the FXT90.  I think I would like something effortless, smooth, relaxing and well layered, this makes the RE262 a better headphone.  Thanks again!

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #309 of 2,211

Quote:

Well, after these comments from experienced head-fiers, I need to rethink where I am at.  Maybe I did not have the RE262's long enough for them to perform the way they are described by ClieOS, shotgunshane and FlySweep.  Time to sell the FXT90's and purchase the much higher regarded RE262's....  Thanks guys, I want something "less colored, better detailed and more articulate" than the FXT90.  I think I would like something effortless, smooth, relaxing and well layered, this makes the RE262 a better headphone.  Thanks again!

Are you being cute here? 
tongue.gif

Seriously, I haven't heard the RE262, only the Fischer Audio Tandems.  There is nothing wrong with color, in fact I find the FXT90's do color perfectly.  Something that is mid centric is also color and not accuracy, so it really depends on what you are looking for.  Let YOUR ears be the judge.  If you prefer the JVC's to the Hifimans and they sound more accurate to you, then you already have your answer.

Smooth, effortless and relaxing is nice sounding but not an end all.  Do I want to listen to metal on a phone with that descriptions?  Hardly.  I find it a good contrast to something more energetic like the JVC's but that's why I call it a compliment, not a replacement.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #310 of 2,211

Quote:

You mean something like the GR07? 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #311 of 2,211

Quote:
Are you being cute here? 
tongue.gif

Seriously, I haven't heard the RE262, only the Fischer Audio Tandems.  There is nothing wrong with color, in fact I find the FXT90's do color perfectly.  Something that is mid centric is also color and not accuracy, so it really depends on what you are looking for.  Let YOUR ears be the judge.  If you prefer the JVC's to the Hifimans and they sound more accurate to you, then you already have your answer.

Smooth, effortless and relaxing is nice sounding but not an end all.  Do I want to listen to metal on a phone with that descriptions?  Hardly.  I find it a good contrast to something more energetic like the JVC's but that's why I call it a compliment, not a replacement.

shotgunshane,  I included you in the RE262, FXT90 comparison.......where you were comparing the GR07 and FXT90, my mistake.  It was refering to FlySweeps comparison of RE262 and FXT90 that really got me thinking about my decision, "RE262's midrange is liquid, but has excellent air, weight, and detail. The FXT's mids are (relatively) thicker, less articulate, and less balanced".  Strings and horns sound great on both, but I find those instruments to sound less colored, better detailed, and more articulate on the RE262.  I like "air, weight, and detail" and "less colored, better detailed more articulate" on strings and horns.  FlySweep/ClieOS are definately much more experienced than me.  I ordered the RE262, and I am selling my FXT90.  The RE262 comparison is describing what I was looking for.  Thanks guys.... 

Plus, I still own the GR07....

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #313 of 2,211

Quote:
Good luck, I hope you won't be disappointed.  I've yet to heard better instrument timbre than on the FXT90 and FX700.

I think it was this comment by FlySweep that clinched it in favor of the RE262, "RE262's midrange just sound more "mature" to me, though", along with his other comments on how the RE262 is better than the FXT90.  He is the only one here that has owned both.....

Don't know who is right, but you have twice as many posts as FlySweep....

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #314 of 2,211

Quote:

I think it was this comment by FlySweep that clinched it in favor of the RE262, "RE262's midrange just sound more "mature" to me, though", along with his other comments on how the RE262 is better than the FXT90.  He is the only one here that has owned both.....

Don't know who is right, but you have twice as many posts as FlySweep....

Post count doesn't matter.  I think FlySweep and I hear similarly but probably have slightly different preferences and tastes.  Just trying to help you out from making a rash decision.  Maybe your RE262's get there before your FXT90 sells, then you can compare them yourself.  It's all good though.  If you do get to hear them side by side, please post your impressions.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #315 of 2,211
cute,

Do what you want, but I think what shotgunshane is getting at is that "more experience" IEM users' opinions doesn't mean you are going to like an IEM better. You stated you had that IEM and for whatever reason you sold it. Now, to sell the FXT90 just because of the opinions of others you respect (but you like the FXT90) doesn't make much sense, my friend. You're not guaranteed to like that other IEM again, but you got rid of something you do like.

The majority of so-called "experienced" IEMers on head-fi, for example, love the EX1000. And while I appreciate its technical brilliance, I actually liked the EX600 and the 7550 better (suited my sound signature tastes better). Many "more experienced" head-fiers love the TF10 and the DBA-02. I despise both. Again,neither fit my taste in sound signature, but technically I acknowledge that each is more than capable of producing a decent sound. I am saying please go with what you personally like and not what so-called "leaders" of head-fi say (that includes any opinions I might have given you). The majority is not always right for you.

I remember about a year or more back that there was this huge debate about the SM3 being the king of all universals. While I enjoyed the sound of the SM3 (and owned for a long time), I never thought of it as king. My position was (and still is) that there isn't a king, but instead a royal elite court of IEMs, if you will. I would place the SM3/SM2, SE535, W4, e-Q7, IE8, EX1000/EX600, GR07, FX700, Custom 3 and FXT90 in that league (that list doesn't reflect which ones I think is more technically brilliant than the other).

With that said, since the FXT90 has gotten a good burn-in (at about 30 or 40 hours now), I'm finding that the GR07 is edging back ahead as my favorite universal for enjoyment (just by a little). Why? Well, let me first state that I still acknowledge that the FXT90 does horns, strings and guitars somewhat better than the GR07, but Vsonic is winning for me because it has better clarity and transparency than the FXT90. Also, while the JVC's drums are quite good, it doesn't beat the GR07 IMO for the natural sound of the drum instruments. These, however, are semantics and I still enjoy both and I want be selling either one anytime soon (if at all). The 7550 is still a favorite too - and the W4. I still have the EX600 and SM2 for sale if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back