JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #316 of 2,211
^ what ericp10 says is so true.
Sound is such a subjective taste.  Sometimes a person's hearing sensitivity and ear shape can also change what he/she is hearing.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #317 of 2,211
Quote:
cute,

Do what you want, but I think what shotgunshane is getting at is that "more experience" IEM users' opinions doesn't mean you are going to like an IEM better. You stated you had that IEM and for whatever reason you sold it. Now, to sell the FXT90 just because of the opinions of others you respect (but you like the FXT90) doesn't make much sense, my friend. You're not guaranteed to like that other IEM again, but you got rid of something you do like.

Good point.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #319 of 2,211
The RE262 requires an amp.. to shine.  Remember that before ditching the very DAP-friendly FXT.  Also, my comparison between the two phones was primarily in the midrange, I didn't comment about any other areas of the frequency curves.  Both phones are colored.. one more than the other.. but also colored differently.  That's the primary reason why I plan on keeping both.  They're different flavors & I can enjoy both.  Just cause I praised the RE262's technicalities.. doesn't make it a more enjoyable phone.. if it was all about technicalities, the ER-4P/S would be the king of head-fi.  Notice in my response to your RE262 impressions, I never once said the RE262 is a BETTER phone than the FXT?  Why, cause that is a purely subjective opinion.  We can argue technicalities all day long, but "different ears = different gears" at the end of the day.

The RE262 doesn't have nearly the bass punch or volume the FXT possesses.  That's a very big point, IMO.  The RE262's bass is deep and well textured, but it's impact is softer in nature.. limiting it's versatility with some more aggressive genres than demand a more visceral low end response.  It doesn't have the grunt that a lot of popular music demands.. unlike the FXT.. which is very versatile.  While the RE262 is technically superior in places, it's also a pickier phone genre-wise, IME.  That just seems to come with the territory (i.e. like the HD800).

Like the GR07, I see the RE262 as being an excellent compliment to the FXT.  While technically inferior in some places, it certainly doesn't lose to the RE262 is sheer listening enjoyment, which frankly is what matters most. The technical capabilities are a lot closer than you make it out to be, too.  Both phones have beautiful midranges.  In fact I'd put both on the same level as far as sheer enjoyment.  As we get into the $150-200 phones, the technical differences, frankly, take a back seat to how cohesive sounding a phone is to me.. in many cases, you're pulling at straws to determine if this aspect of X phone is better than Y phone.  It's much more about cohesion and personality, for me, in the mid-fi category.

As I've listened to more and more phones.. what I've come to appreciate is the overall tuning of a phone more than any specific technical achievement.  I take a holistic approach to determining if I like a phone or not.. its about how well put together a phone is for me more than anything.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #320 of 2,211

Quote:
As I've listened to more and more phones.. what I've come to appreciate is the overall tuning of a phone more than any specific technical achievement.  I take a holistic approach to determining if I like a phone or not.. its about how well put together a phone is for me more than anything.

Well said.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #321 of 2,211
 If I don't count shipping, my FXT90 is only a  $114 IEM (excellent excellent bargain for the sound I must say). With that said, for those of you who have heard or own the Realvoice, how would you compare the two? Not planning to buy the Realvoice, but I'm just curious. The FTX90 true competitor in the price range I paid for it is the Shure 215. The FXT90 mops the floor with the 215 (although I thought the Shure had some great mids - almost as good as the SE535).

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #322 of 2,211
@cute, if you can afford to have them at the same time, do. Then A/B them yourself, then decide. Only you know what you like based on what you listen to.

I'm diving in soon
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #323 of 2,211
Couldn't have asked for better timing. Just got my FXT90's. 
biggrin.gif

Initial impressions to follow...

Just my luck. One side has diminished sound, less than half that of the other one in fact. 
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #326 of 2,211

Quote:
Just my luck. One side has diminished sound, less than half that of the other one in fact. 
frown.gif

Try forcing some driver flex with some tight-sealing silicone tip in your ear, see if that fixes things.  Or let it burn in a bit.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #328 of 2,211
Wow..I've pulled and yanked on this chord so much (unintentionally of course) more than other IEM I've owned, and I have to say it taken a lickin', but keeps on tickin' (playing and sounding good).

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #329 of 2,211
For those of you who have heard or own the Realvoice, how would you compare the two? Not planning to buy the Realvoice, but I'm just curious. 

I've got the RealVoice, Eric.. it's a little tough to compare the two cause they go for arguably two different sigs (mid forward, slightly aggressive vs a smooth & natural.. that being said, I'll PM you my thoughts.

Let's just say since getting the RealVoice quite some time ago, many phones (some technically superior) have come & gone.. the RealVoice remained (and not just cause of its flawless iPhone mic & playback control functions).  I just really really enjoy the Spider RealVoice.  The smoothness & balance is impeccable... not the best for crunchy aggressive genres (metal) that require grit (cause it's so smooth).. but for practically anything else, it's down right addictive.

In terms of sheer musicality, I'd say it's on par with the FXT.  Not the most technically advanced phone but it's incredibly cohesive & dynamic in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back