JVC HA-FXT100, HA-FXT200, HA-FXT200 LTD HI-SPEED
Apr 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #107 of 254
Thanks for this summary

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #108 of 254
Just got my FXT200LTD yesterday from amazon for $125.

This is my first impression:
I think if you already owned some high end IEM then this is not for you. I think overall it is OK but not that impressive.

I commute by metro bus. So first thing i notice is isolation not good. Cable noise is bad unless u wear it around the ear (yes, i did that and it fix the problem.).

Sound not that warm if compare to woodie. Sound stage also not that wide. A tad not that easy to drive the IEM, i have to up my volume 2 levels. Bass a little bit less (it is there but not that much) but more control. Sound especially female vocal is very clear (may be due to less of bass).

Build quality is excellent and very light weight. The gold color is pretty good looking and low profile (not like those yellowish gold).

Not sure will burn in change the sound signature or not. but will try it out.

Anyway, i think is it not bad but still it is just OK.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #109 of 254
  Just got my FXT200LTD yesterday from amazon for $125.

This is my first impression:
I think if you already owned some high end IEM then this is not for you. I think overall it is OK but not that impressive.

I commute by metro bus. So first thing i notice is isolation not good. Cable noise is bad unless u wear it around the ear (yes, i did that and it fix the problem.).

Sound not that warm if compare to woodie. Sound stage also not that wide. A tad not that easy to drive the IEM, i have to up my volume 2 levels. Bass a little bit less (it is there but not that much) but more control. Sound especially female vocal is very clear (may be due to less of bass).

Build quality is excellent and very light weight. The gold color is pretty good looking and low profile (not like those yellowish gold).

Not sure will burn in change the sound signature or not. but will try it out.

Anyway, i think is it not bad but still it is just OK.

On the whole, I think you've provided the most informative (in terms of impressions) feedback on FXT200s. OTOH, I don't think it aspires to be an audiophile, or even a well-balanced sound reproduction.

It gives a somewhat contrived and selective, but very well defined, and for some attractive, spotlight on lower highs and upper lows. Contrary to what many have suggested, I think its a perfect pair to use on noisy trains and other areas with loud ambient noise. It doesn't cancel external noise but the exaggerated reproduction it provides helps to overcome the ambient noise in such environments. Sitting on a noisy commuter train, I'm unlikely to ever hear them anyway. At home, I have better things to listen to.

Its not suited to quiet classical solos such as with pianos. The ambient noise of keys being pressed or breathing tends to come out too much. Nor is it good for high register vocals. Too harsh. OTOH, its great for listening to grungy rock recorded in a boozy sweaty dive with a pint in a plastic glass and still-legal cigarette smoke filling the air. I love it.

May 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #110 of 254
On the whole, I think you've provided the most informative (in terms of impressions) feedback on FXT200s. OTOH, I don't think it aspires to be an audiophile, or even a well-balanced sound reproduction.

It gives a somewhat contrived and selective, but very well defined, and for some attractive, spotlight on lower highs and upper lows. Contrary to what many have suggested, I think its a perfect pair to use on noisy trains and other areas with loud ambient noise. It doesn't cancel external noise but the exaggerated reproduction it provides helps to overcome the ambient noise in such environments. Sitting on a noisy commuter train, I'm unlikely to ever hear them anyway. At home, I have better things to listen to.

Its not suited to quiet classical solos such as with pianos. The ambient noise of keys being pressed or breathing tends to come out too much. Nor is it good for high register vocals. Too harsh. OTOH, its great for listening to grungy rock recorded in a boozy sweaty dive with a pint in a plastic glass and still-legal cigarette smoke filling the air. I love it.

What I noticed if I use it in a very quiet sorrounding it does sound much more lively and warmer . But I do agree with the fact that due to the isolation of these earphones does affect the sound a tad bit(esp in noisy ambience) .
As to the jvc woodie's they do sound much more livelier. But these have a certain timbre and brightness that makes it so fun to listen to all kinds of genres which greatly satisfy me. On the other hand, what I noticed is that the only perfect balance was to use the spiraldot tip provided originally in these earphones (200ltd/208se), it somehow widens the soundstage and make the mids sound a little more transparent and vibrant .But as agreed classical solos are not as intended and doesnt sounds as great as they should be .
As for the treble it is sometimes a bit piercing but has slowly toned down after 170hours-ish hourse of listening to them ( I listen to them everyday for the past two months). The bass is as good as it gets, fast and impactful and very very satisfying. As for the volume I dont use a dac or amp so just my iphone 6 , I couldnt set the volume more than 10/16 as it would be too loud for me.
All and all, these pairs are agreed not accurately used for monitoring music but more as a fun pair of earphones to listen to and enjoy certain as stated above selected genres of music.

May 6, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #111 of 254
Hey guys, I just discovered Tenso and had to order some Japanese eye drops for my Dad. I'm thinking this may be a good time to try the FXT's. Since the FXT90 and FXT100 are about the same price in Amazon JP, which should I buy or you guys recommend?

I already have the Vsonic GR07BE and Zero Audio Tenore, which are both great. Would I be wasting my time and money trying the FXT90 or FXT100?

May 27, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #112 of 254

Just want to report back to the thread after using it and burn in for a while.

You really need a good AMP to drive this IEM. Using ZX1, the bass is more noticeable compare to using my Z3 phone (yeah, big Sony fans, don't judge
biggrin.gif
). I even try the tape mod, make the sound more warmer but not good for commute because with all the outside noise, it will sounds more muddy.

But overall still not really like the sound signature, i think it is too bright for me, sometimes i felt that it exactly sounds like BA (if i compare it with XBA-30 and H3, yes.. big Sony fans, guilty as charged). I think may be i got misguided, i always kind of thought dynamic driver should be more "livelier"? Captain please explain :)  The sound is too bright for me, make my ears feel fatigue after listen for 1 hour.

Another thing, i am not sure you guys experience this or not, for some reason for same song with heavy bass if i use woodie, i felt fine, but using this IEM, after 10 minutes, i felt my ear drum a little bit pain. Tried couple of times and felt same way, I wonder what is causing that...?

Overall, the conclusion this IEM is just OK. But hey, this is just me, all ears are different :)

Last, just want to get some recommendation from all the experts here. I like the sound signature of the woodie. Is the IE80 or CKR10 has the same sound signature? All you guys know any other IEMs which sounds like woodie?

That's all, thanks for reading. The quest for best IEM hunt still continue.... 

May 27, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #114 of 254

You really need a good AMP to drive this IEM. Using ZX1, the bass is more noticeable compare to using my Z3 phone (yeah, big Sony fans, don't judge
biggrin.gif
). I even try the tape mod, make the sound more warmer but not good for commute because with all the outside noise, it will sounds more muddy.

But overall still not really like the sound signature, i think it is too bright for me, sometimes i felt that it exactly sounds like BA (if i compare it with XBA-30 and H3, yes.. big Sony fans, guilty as charged). I think may be i got misguided, i always kind of thought dynamic driver should be more "livelier"? Captain please explain :)  The sound is too bright for me, make my ears feel fatigue after listen for 1 hour.

Another thing, i am not sure you guys experience this or not, for some reason for same song with heavy bass if i use woodie, i felt fine, but using this IEM, after 10 minutes, i felt my ear drum a little bit pain. Tried couple of times and felt same way, I wonder what is causing that...?

Overall, the conclusion this IEM is just OK. But hey, this is just me, all ears are different :)

Last, just want to get some recommendation from all the experts here. I like the sound signature of the woodie. Is the IE80 or CKR10 has the same sound signature? All you guys know any other IEMs which sounds like woodie?

Is it the fxt90 or fxt100 ?
I use the fxt90 with the zx1 and i enjoy it.
I feeling no pain with the treeble and i love the sub bass.

May 27, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #115 of 254
 Originally Posted by yeowyap 

biggrin.gif

Well, that's weird. I received my fxt200 ltd 5 days ago and i think there is too much bass and not enougth treble. To my ears, the fx850 have more treble. Maybe they need more burn-in?
Rigth now, i prefere listening to my fxt90 cause the treble make them sound livelier.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #117 of 254
old forum, but anybody got any thoughts on these?
I also saw there's a "high-speed" version fxt208.  any actual difference?

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #118 of 254
I got my FXT200 yesterday. I paid $110 shipped EMS. A few pics:

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #119 of 254
 Well, I have had the FXT 200 for a week now. Got to know them pretty intimately and there seems to be an issue.

The issue is not unfamiliar to me having had multiple JVC models over the years. They, JVC, seem to tune their phones in a certain way as is their want. Can't help but remember back to needing thinner pads to calm the oppressive bass of the S900 or removing the front filter of the FX67 to free up their sound. The James444 FX850 mods came about for a reason! :)
Even with my current Elation FR100X talks on the box about a double magnet structure for Z"solid and quick bass" and an X-damper for "tight low bass and midrange" which are there but not until I peeled off the front screens. Smoothed over, polite and not so quick or tight bass then became what was stated on the box.

There is EQ and certainly an "audiophile" tuned player makes more sense of the JVC tuning but that makes them picky and not versatile. The Elation were lovely paired with my 770C to sound more like they should even with the Stock screens on them. Not that they aren't still better with the screens off and much better across all my sources like Sony which are more consumer tuned.

Then back to the FXT's were there are mostly FXT200 LTD impressions on head-fi. None are too flattering and more than not say too much bass, not enough treble. JVC's description is kind of at odds with itself. Where do they want to go. They talk of "thickness, density" and "high-speed, high resolution". Hard to get both in the proper proportions and not have the density and thickness overwhelm and mess it up.

I had some trouble getting the FXT200 to sound really good. Very picky with tips and fit/insertion depth altering the sound. Shortly after getting rid of the Elations front screens I decided to poke around literally(with a pin) at the FXT screens. Pretty thick wooly things they are. Certainly not acoustically transparent :) and I decided they should go. I can also see the drivers through the translucent housing and they already have the white fabric screens on them. Top titanium treble drivers full screens and the lower carbon drivers have center hole cut out screens. The outer screens are not the reusable peel and stick kind. They are glued in place and would require more care to take off and be reusable. Better to replace or use with screened tip, IMO. Now after removing the FXT's screens , they all of a sudden behave better regarding tips and fit. I know these tips well and how they should work. Now more work that didn't before and they work more closely with the usual expectations. I can insert and get more isolation in many cases and not get the too thick bass and not as much treble effect.

On to the sound w/o the screens, FWIW to you. I am using, currently, UE Super.fi 5/UE600 clear tips on the JVC. Those do tend to add a bit more top end and cleanliness to the sound but I don't mind some brightness. NOW, NOW, the high speed, high resolution thing makes more sense!! They were pretty quick before but not capital letters on the box "HIGH-SPEED" quick. Resolution has gone up and keeps more with a deeper more isolating fit no longer losing resolution like before. Bass now does a wonderful job of distinction between low/sub bass drums and snares and the whole kit. The FXT can separate and hold low guitar notes and follow them through like I haven't heard in a long time and more in line with full size headphones that have the driver surface area to do so. The CKR's try to do the same with their dual phase drivers but not as good in the case of the CKR9 that I had time with. Just more detail and resolution here. The holding and feel of the low notes and really quick snares is really well done. Nice!! No humps or bleed and yet no emptiness or dips. Tuned right with the screens that are on the drivers themselves.

On to the mids which remind me of the Rockets but not as forward nor as focused. Bass, mids , and treble are even for the most part(tip dependent of course) unlike the Rockets which need a bass and treble push with power or some EQ perhaps. I no longer have the Rockets on hand but I want to say the FXT midrange is better. Anyhow the presentation is similar overall as far as staging shape and size but the FXT balance is better and the bass and treble have more detail. The Rockets similarities continue with a very even bass and treble reach which isn't the lowest or highest I have heard on either end and they tend to blend in front to back more not trying to separate out more than blend and layer in. The FXT does both quite well making for a circular and 3D effect. The two driver just does what the Rockets is trying to do with one better than I remember the Rockets doing. Again better detail towards the ends than the Rockets.

Detail is tremendous now w/o the screens. I have had the Rockets recently, The Titan 1 recently and they can't match up here. Doubt anything I have heard(in the earphone category) is better in having more detail. Had the ER4 P + s adapter and ER4S on those two occasions. Had two TF10's including a second time with a solid core silver cable. E80 recently which has good clarity, transparency and detail. Might not have all the phones on hand but you know the gear and the tracks and when you are hearing as much there as at any time! A wonderful thing I hear with the FXT200 is bid detail unamped without turning up the volume. Those extra notches that sometimes brighten up and make the sound cleaner and show a bit more there. Down a bit more sounds like there may be even more detail for some reason.

Treble may be a bit more in play with the UE tips here. The treble is not super extended but reach is not an issue for me. Not that much about the overall reach as the FXT blend in and overlap. These are not the Titan 1. They use titanium treble drivers in a different way but there is some similarity with the decay of higher notes and the speed and the detail. The DUNU has nothing on the FXT and I'll say I prefer the presentation here. The two drivers integrate a whole drum kit and incorporate the treble in a way the Titan's single driver just can't do. The treble is integrated more like the Brainwavz R3 does but those try to portray much more distance and their treble is not as sharp or detailed or as natural. Both are unique but the JVC is tighter, quicker, more aggressive and in your face and more detailed. The FXT is more Ety ER4 than R3. That may just be a good general idea description of the FXT200(modded): R3 plus Rockets plus ETY detail/decay.

Of course this level of sound is not really there except with a couple of tips like the Brainwavz hybrids which gave a similar sound with the outer screens still on. Just not as transparent and detailed and the fit was very picky. Unfortunately the best sound and usability was just not there for me in stock configuration and it sounds like the same/similar is true for other users based on some of the others impressions. They are what they are and may need some work depending on the individual. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #120 of 254
I'm currently tossing up between the 90, 200 and 200LTD. I want to use them for commuting and I listen to mostly metal music, which was how I found out about the FXT90, as it is commonly recommended for that genre. I'm just wondering if it is worth getting the 200/200LTD over the 90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back