JVC FX33 Mod.
Feb 20, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 136
So I did this mod, have yet to try it out tho. Ive only been using my marshmallows at work to listen to online radio stations until my iPod comes back from repair. But I will let you know if I hear a difference or not. How do you know how much padding is too much? Is it just a trial and error game? I put quite a bit in there, I guess if its too quiet I will have to take some out. The way I have it right now it doesnt look like any sound can get through my foam padding.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I did this mod, have yet to try it out tho. Ive only been using my marshmallows at work to listen to online radio stations until my iPod comes back from repair. But I will let you know if I hear a difference or not. How do you know how much padding is too much? Is it just a trial and error game? I put quite a bit in there, I guess if its too quiet I will have to take some out. The way I have it right now it doesnt look like any sound can get through my foam padding.

yeah its pretty much trial and error fine tuning. Some will prefer the sound brighter than others.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 136
man, do you buy two pairs of all of your headphones just to invent a mod for one of them? i swear, there's a kramer mod for everything!
wink.gif

with that said, i performed this on mine, and woah! the biggest difference i've found is awesome seperation of the bass drum and bass guitar on some hip-hop songs, and a little more crunch on the guitars. thanks!

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 136
Im listening to some RATM right now, but Im not sure if theres much of a difference, I might have to go buy another pair of marshmallows to compare it to. They sound pretty good though.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #22 of 136
This may be reversible if you are lucky. One of my paper filters was loose. I don't know if it came like that or it was a result of my messing with the tips. Either way, it came off, and I was able to stick it back on the lip with a little help from a glue stick. So if you can get the filters off without tearing them, you can probably reattach them.

Right now I have the filters on but have enlarged the hole in them. It seemed to brighten them a little as well. I also have E2 grey sleeves, not the stock tips (which did not work at all for me).

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #24 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I have the filters on but have enlarged the hole in them. It seemed to brighten them a little as well.

That's where I'm at, too. I like the idea of opening up the top end to match the strong lows but it seems like the mod is taking them too far (making them overly bright) and then reigning them back to a listenable level. (sorry, Kramer!) Instead, I noticed what looked like a tiny hole in the center of the paper filter. So instead of removing the entire paper, I used an awl (a pin would work, too) and enlarged the hole. As bungle noted, this brightened them up quite a bit, adding a nice top end to the strong lows. I'm still listening to them to decide if I need to go further but so far I'm liking what I hear. I'm guessing that you can start with a tiny hole and increase the size gradually to increase the highs until they get to the point that you like. And if you go too far, you can always pull the paper out completely and insert the foam to tame the highs.

As a bonus, I didn't even have to remove the foamies! (I'm using Shure foamies but may try silicone sleeves just for fun)

Anyway, thanks again to Garrett for the mod idea and the great pix. I love cheap, easy mods that increase my listening pleasure. (especially on cheap gear!)

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 136
I am not sure if I damanged my marshmallows, but ive been listening to RATM and have been hearing some hissing issues on some of the "S words". Maybe its just the crappy computer I am listening to, I want to get my iPod back... But if its not the computer and indeed the headphones, could this just be a lack of foam? Im not sure if I put too much or too little foam in the tube. They sound pretty decent on most songs but when you start hearing "S" sounds, it hisses.

Edit: I think this might just be my crappy computer at work, because i have had this issue with alot of computers without soundcards.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 136
Ok I did the mod with the Marshmallows and listened to them a bit.

I can hear how the sound signature has changed slightly, as there is a bit more sparkle in the highs. However, I personally find the Marshmallows' sound signature unfixable, so I can't say that it really helped too much. I'm not saying I don't like the Marshmallows, as they are a very fun and bouncy canalphone for a great price, but I don't think it's worth too much of my time trying to change the sound for the better. With the mod, the bass remained bloated and the mids were still a bit muddy.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #28 of 136
Man Ive been listening to Beck as well, I hear the crackling and hissing (like if u crank up the sound on headphones to max) and its still tolerable listening volume. But I hear these hissing sounds alot more with his music. Now im not sure if i damaged them, I hope not, I will have to get an extension cable and hook them up to my pc (cord isnt long enuf on my marshmallows to reach the back of the tower).

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 136
The filter that I had reattached starting coming off again as I was playing with the tips, so I ended up taking mine off and trying them bare and with a little foam. Obviously I couldn't switch back and forth to the filter version, but I think the filters with a larger hole was fairly close in sound to the foam-modded version.

I did get the other filter off without tearing it. Since I already had made the hole larger, I was able to get the end of a small paperclip in the hole at a low angle and sort of lift around the perimeter. I don't know that it's worth trying to save the filters, but in case anyone else was wondering...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back