JVC FX33 Mod.
Feb 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #31 of 136
i find that the grey pvc tubing makes the foam expand too fast making it harder to get a good seal. the problem however is that onloy some of the tips fit fine without the tubing, while some falls right off. its pretty random, the pair that i got for a friend stays on better, while mine gets stuck in my ear.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 136
no thanks to your mod suggestion garrett, i'm now thinking about picking up another pair of these because i really liked their isolation. and this is the thanks i get for giving you my foamies. grr...
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #33 of 136
After listening to more RATM at work this mod has improved on my tastes. It sounds really good now (I cant come up with any fancy words as I dont have that audiophile vocabulary yet).

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #35 of 136
I just Kramerized my KSCs and used the leftover foam to do this to my shmallows.... NICE improvement! More bassy and fuller. I like it. Thanks Kramer!

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #36 of 136
I've been gradually modding my pair of 'mallows, but I'm still quite unimpressed. Way too bassy, lacking mids and too fatiguing to be used for more than 15 minutes at a time. I've been burning them in for about a week, tried them with several different sleeves (super.fi, ex81, e2c, currently large e2c sleeves on), enlarging the hole in the paper filter, but still they are nigh unlistenable. And since this is a country where everything is way overpriced, I ended up paying nearly USD 40 for these things.

Does the final Kramer-mod open up the mids at all? I really don't want any more highs and I definitely want less bass, but I have this creeping feeling that ripping the paper filter off and stuffing the tube with foam isn't going to correct this.

So yeah, after all this positive fuss I've read about them here it's safe to say I'm disappointed with what I'm hearing.

After all these phones I'm still using my beat up and ripped pair of ex71s while working out, and it seems I'll get another pair of them. At the price they're quite unbeatable. Perhaps I'll buy a pair of j-JAYS first, but if they're unbearable as well, then I'm quite done with this search saga of mine.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #37 of 136
tag for when I get a se. I always love looking at your mod posts

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 136
Okay, I kramered my 'mallows all the way, and they became much more tolerable. I had to use a very small cube of foam to keep the bass at bay. Oddly enough the highs never got too shrill for me. But I still find the mids somewhat lacking, and since I mostly listen to rock and metal of all sorts this is an annoying flaw. Well, at least these are somewhat listenable from 1G iPod nano without EQs, but still, not to my liking. Perhaps I'll give the j-JAYS a try.

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #40 of 136
Kramer, I still haven't tried to replace the unbalanced pair of marshmallows that I got. Do you think this mod could be used to balance the highs between the two drivers (like maybe using more or less foam in one side)? Right now, most of the upper frequencies are stronger in the left driver.

May 25, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #41 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kramer, I still haven't tried to replace the unbalanced pair of marshmallows that I got. Do you think this mod could be used to balance the highs between the two drivers (like maybe using more or less foam in one side)? Right now, most of the upper frequencies are stronger in the left driver.

Try adding more foam. The foam is basically whats controlling the "highs" in this case.

Like what he said in the initial post, if you add more, it's going to attenuate the highs. Thus, find the balance you feel is correct by messing around with the different amount of foam.

It does make a big difference though IMO. Now my highs are more apparent and isn't so overwhelmed by the bass.

May 25, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #42 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try adding more foam. The foam is basically whats controlling the "highs" in this case.

Like what he said in the initial post, if you add more, it's going to attenuate the highs. Thus, find the balance you feel is correct by messing around with the different amount of foam.

It does make a big difference though IMO. Now my highs are more apparent and isn't so overwhelmed by the bass.

x2.... Give it a try... and please do post back your findings. I have never tried to intentionally tune them differently. It makes sense though that you could attenuate one side more than the other. Note also that you could cause a channel imbalance.

Good Luck!! Glad to hear you all are liking this little mod. It makes me happy to see so many members tinkering about... and learning at the same time. Its about acoustics, sound reproduction and most importantly, knowing your own sonic preferences. Cheers gang!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #43 of 136
I knew there was a marshmallow mod around somewhere! I'll give this a try when upgraditis hits me hard enough...which should be in the next few weeks, budget permitting.

Does any old foamy substance work? It would have to be semi-porous right? Not like some spare earbud covers?

May 25, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #44 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew there was a marshmallow mod around somewhere! I'll give this a try when upgraditis hits me hard enough...which should be in the next few weeks, budget permitting.

Does any old foamy substance work? It would have to be semi-porous right? Not like some spare earbud covers?

I used the foam from a KSC75, it is pretty porous IMHO. I never tried anything denser than that. Give it a whirl, the only way to know is to try.

wink.gif
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #45 of 136
poke the paper with the largest phillips head precision screwdriver you can get hold of, be careful don't break the driver a few pokes in and out and the paper is gone

i done this mod no foam inside the phones, strong treble and bass

i use shure e2c rubber med size, perfect fit

don't remove the grey rubber, u get a much more snug and tight fit of these sleeves if u coax it over the rubber, i noticed the grey rubber kept folding in, so just trim about 2mm off the top and hey presto it doesn't fall out!

use fine tip plyers to get grey rubber off to trim them

to stop that annoying pulling cord noise (if you chose the rubbers over the wax loving foams) wear them like the e2c's are meant to be worn (round the back over the top of the ear, then into the cannal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back