Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #5,536 of 11,345
So I modded some second hand Fostex T50RPs with a slightly modified Rastapants 2 mod, substituting more Paxmate instead of Dynamat, so there are two layers of Paxmate in the baffles; no cotton in the baffles; no reflex dot; and also I recabled them with cryo copper wire.
Bass vents are 75% closed.

I'm going to also spend an extra $52 NZD on Shure SRH840 earpands and Sennheiser HD580/HD600 headband pads (ugh so expensive for 3 pices of foam!) to increase comfort. 

Absolutely stunning results. Been using them for over 2 weeks without an amp and I'd like to believe they can destroy any competition under $1000 NZD.

I was using some Koss Portapros as temporary headphones while I waiting for the materials to perform the mods, as the Portapros sounded much better than the T50RPs stock and I thought they sounded pretty decent.
Just tried the Portapros for the first time since I modded the T50RPs, and I can't stand them! They sound so bad and muddy with extreme lack of resolution.

P.S. I'm never going to open up the T50RPs ever again phew! Glad I got great sound. =)

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #5,537 of 11,345

Quote:
So I modded some second hand Fostex T50RPs with a slightly modified Rastapants 2 mod, substituting more Paxmate instead of Dynamat, so there are two layers of Paxmate in the baffles; no cotton in the baffles; no reflex dot; and also I recabled them with cryo copper wire.
Bass vents are 75% closed.

I'm going to also spend an extra $52 NZD on Shure SRH840 earpands and Sennheiser HD580/HD600 headband pads (ugh so expensive for 3 pices of foam!) to increase comfort. 

Absolutely stunning results. Been using them for over 2 weeks without an amp and I'd like to believe they can destroy any competition under $1000 NZD.

I was using some Koss Portapros as temporary headphones while I waiting for the materials to perform the mods, as the Portapros sounded much better than the T50RPs stock and I thought they sounded pretty decent.
Just tried the Portapros for the first time since I modded the T50RPs, and I can't stand them! They sound so bad and muddy with extreme lack of resolution.

P.S. I'm never going to open up the T50RPs ever again phew! Glad I got great sound. =)

Check out the Senn HD280 pad mod, less than $5 US.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #5,539 of 11,345

Quote:

Famous last words. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #5,540 of 11,345
i'm gonna custom craft play-doh ear cups for my fostex and will have ponies all over them. you guys will be jealous cause mine will sound magical and your guys fostex will sound like poo cause you guys like using that tar stuff, and stuff.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #5,541 of 11,345

Quote:
Famous last words. 
beyersmile.png

Quote:

I don't have to tweak anymore, now I got the A8 Realiser, it is absolutely amazing with the T50RP's. Out of head experience doesn't even come close, the headphones are not there anymore. I don't know if I even need the Stax, on thursday I will be comparing the Stax Omega 2's on the Realiser with the T50RP's (driven by the Realiser amp mind you).

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #5,542 of 11,345
Head-fiers everywhere are boarding planes and trains to come rob you. Over the next few days your house will be the setting for something resembling a Shaw Brothers flick.

And I understand why. I envy the success you report with your T50RP. Have you named them yet?

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #5,543 of 11,345
Head-fiers everywhere are boarding planes and trains to come rob you. Over the next few days your house will be the setting for something resembling a Shaw Brothers flick.
And I understand why. I envy the success you report with your T50RP. Have you named them yet?

i would join in the robbery only if cookies,cake and muffins are involved . who cares about the smith thingy-m-gigy. you could have that.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #5,544 of 11,345
I pretty much stopped opening up the T50RP with the Rastapants 2. The only thing I want to do is get a more comfortable headband but I'm a bit lazy. I kinda wish i knew where I could get some kind of leather that can be used as a headband to use as the LFF suspension headband but even if I did who knows when that will be done :)

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #5,546 of 11,345

Quote:
Rastapants 2 is that good huh?  
biggrin.gif

All I know is that I really like them and the people who have heard them at meets through my system also liked them. I especially like them with my V200 amp although they are no slouch with my PPAv2 amp either but they both sound great to my ears.

Hopefully you will like them as much as I do when you get yours in the mail.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5,547 of 11,345

Quote:
I pretty much stopped opening up the T50RP with the Rastapants 2. The only thing I want to do is get a more comfortable headband but I'm a bit lazy. I kinda wish i knew where I could get some kind of leather that can be used as a headband to use as the LFF suspension headband but even if I did who knows when that will be done :)

A really cheap way is to search thrift shops like Goodwill for a jacket/purse/bag made out of a nice soft leather--they're usually pretty cheap.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #5,548 of 11,345

Quote:

All I know is that I really like them and the people who have heard them at meets through my system also liked them. I especially like them with my V200 amp although they are no slouch with my PPAv2 amp either but they both sound great to my ears.

Hopefully you will like them as much as I do when you get yours in the mail.

That's great to hear. The pair I'm getting (should be in tomorrow) is Rastapants 2, but with white felt, and no paxmate covering inside of cups. I guess this will make them pretty bassy? I'll be using them with an AMB M^3 amp at work, and when home either the uHA-120 or Arrow 3G. I'm quite stoked to hear them.....

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5,549 of 11,345

Quote:
That's great to hear. The pair I'm getting (should be in tomorrow) is Rastapants 2, but with white felt, and no paxmate covering inside of cups. I guess this will make them pretty bassy? I'll be using them with an AMB M^3 amp at work, and when home either the uHA-120 or Arrow 3G. I'm quite stoked to hear them.....

I'm not sure if that can be called the Rastapants 2 if it has no paxmate or any kind of acoustic foam inside the cups unless it is one of the different versions of the Rastapants 2 that is tuned for different pads that is not the O2 pads such as the stock or SRH840 pads. The ones I have are tuned for the o2 pads.

I don't mind them overly bassy where it is too much or bass light but we do have very different set ups.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #5,550 of 11,345

Quote:

I'm not sure if that can be called the Rastapants 2 if it has no paxmate or any kind of acoustic foam inside the cups unless it is one of the different versions of the Rastapants 2 that is tuned for different pads that is not the O2 pads such as the stock or SRH840 pads. The ones I have are tuned for the o2 pads.

I don't mind them overly bassy where it is too much or bass light but we do have very different set ups.

Ah, it probably is tuned for the 840 pads then, since that's what comes on them. Anyway, I can surely tweak till heart's content with these I suppose. Even though I'm all thumbs when it comes to DIY! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back