Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #5,551 of 11,345
Sorry for the noob question, but in almost all of the photos of modded headphones, I see that the plasticine has repeated small indents in it. 

Is this on purpose? I would assume so, but I don't know why this was done. If it was on purpose, what are most people using to do this.

Thanks

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #5,552 of 11,345
If I recall, it scatters the sound waves when they bounce off, letting them be caught by other damping material like the cotton balls easier. 

Quote:
Sorry for the noob question, but in almost all of the photos of modded headphones, I see that the plasticine has repeated small indents in it. 

Is this on purpose? I would assume so, but I don't know why this was done. If it was on purpose, what are most people using to do this.

Thanks

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #5,553 of 11,345

Quote:
Ah, it probably is tuned for the 840 pads then, since that's what comes on them. Anyway, I can surely tweak till heart's content with these I suppose. Even though I'm all thumbs when it comes to DIY! 

If I could mod the T50RP then anyone can :) It's quite simple to mod and plenty of help here if you get stuck or just have questions.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #5,555 of 11,345
Fostex T50RP, pull off the pads, unscrew the housing. Load it up with plasticine like the pictures and put some kind of damping material like felt or something on the inside. 

Bam. That's the basics of the mod. Many others go far more in-depth on what you can do, but that's the basics. 
Quote:
Where would I start with the mod? I am thinking about diving into the world of orthos and Foxtex series seems to be the most plenty. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #5,556 of 11,345
Could anyone make some macro photos of Paxmate, preferrably next to a ruler? Also, how rigid it is? Soft stuff like the foam fillers in old car seats and armchairs, or rather rigid with thick walls?
I want to check some locally availible soundproofing materials, but in order to get something suitable I'd need a peek at the proper stuff.
I'd be very thankful!

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #5,557 of 11,345
it is really soft almost gummy. 

M

sry no picture

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #5,558 of 11,345

I have filled both the ear cups and the holes in the plastic around the driver with acoustic foam. The result is an unimpressive mid-fi headphone that is lacking in bass. *sigh* I guess I do need some kind of hard material for mass dampening after all. Or maybe it’s just the most over hyped headphone in history. :S What exactly should I get that is CHEAP, where can I get it, and should I put it in the ear cups or just around the drivers? 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #5,559 of 11,345
Do you have no plasticine inside your cups? It's pretty cheap and is easy for mass loading.

Quote:

I have filled both the ear cups and the holes in the plastic around the driver with acoustic foam. The result is an unimpressive mid-fi headphone that is lacking in bass. *sigh* I guess I do need some kind of hard material for mass dampening after all. Or maybe it’s just the most over hyped headphone in history. :S What exactly should I get that is CHEAP, where can I get it, and should I put it in the ear cups or just around the drivers? 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #5,561 of 11,345
Well, it's more for the resonance. You'll probably get more of a bass change for playing with the bass ports.

Sorry, no personal experience here. I'm hoping to mod a Fostex near the start of 2012.

Quote:
Will plasticine in the cups and around the drivers get me MOAR bass? 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #5,564 of 11,345
Plasticine will help on getting better bass control. The port slots on the cups is what will alter the bass impact. All close give less and all open will give you more but less control. You have to find the best setting by using black electric tape from the outside. Good luck!

Quote:
Play-Doh dries when exposed to the air, plasticine doesn't. That's a key difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back