Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #3,196 of 11,345
+1!

Quote:
BMF, I really appreciate your willingness to test and compare all these various mods. The fact that you have one reference set with the white felt intact is a real bonus for folks like me who are still on the fence about whether the felt should stay or go.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3,197 of 11,345
I am thinking that the transpore and micropore adhesive may not last as it's designed for human skin. It may be an idea, once a mod is settled on, to fuzz the adhesive side to remove it's stickiness and then use double-sided tape as a more permanent adhesive.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #3,198 of 11,345

Quote:
I am thinking that the transpore and micropore adhesive may not last as it's designed for human skin. It may be an idea, once a mod is settled on, to fuzz the adhesive side to remove it's stickiness and then use double-sided tape as a more permanent adhesive.

I would use a fine artist brush with rubber cement.
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3,199 of 11,345
I took the felt over the bass ports out today. I really didn't like the balance and I like it better with the bass ports uncovered than with felt. I can't find electrical tape so I'll experiment with some kind of medical tape I have lying around somewhere. I don't know what it's called but it's the smooth white one that doesn't leave a sticky residue.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #3,200 of 11,345
I put some of my SilverStone Acoustic Foam on my headband today.  I cut a strip roughly 7 or 8 inches long and stuck it on the headband (its sticky back obviously, so easy mod).  It looks clean and adds some nice cushion to my head when wearing them for long periods of time.  I may experiment with more extreme headband mods but this was a nice improvement. 

After 2 hours my head was starting to hurt today so I knew it was time for a headband mod.

Can we use the two phillips screws on the sides to attach a headband to?

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #3,201 of 11,345
I would use a fine artist brush with rubber cement.
wink_face.gif

I've tried rubber cement and it's a pain and easy to make a mess, fumey and supposedly my stuff is explosively flammable, and expensive. The double sided tape is cheap as chips and strong. I've tried both with the stiff felt on the back of the driver: the double-sided tape was neat and strong. I did use a 6mm tape but it was too wide and while not as messy as the cement nevertheless it didn't make a neat job. 3mm was perfect.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3,203 of 11,345
I have used double sided tape and it works o.k. You just have to be sure you have a solid seal all the way around the driver grid perimeter; unless not doing so is part of your mod design.

Quote:
I've tried rubber cement and it's a pain and easy to make a mess, fumy and supposedly my stuff is explosively flammable, and expensive. The double sided tape is cheap as chips and strong. I've tried both with the stiff felt on the back of the driver: the double-sided tape was neat and strong. I did use a 6mm tape but it was too wide and while not as messy as the cement nevertheless it didn't make a neat job. 3mm was perfect.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3,204 of 11,345

Quote:
I've tried rubber cement and it's a pain and easy to make a mess, fumy and supposedly my stuff is explosively flammable, and expensive. The double sided tape is cheap as chips and strong. I've tried both with the stiff felt on the back of the driver: the double-sided tape was neat and strong. I did use a 6mm tape but it was too wide and while not as messy as the cement nevertheless it didn't make a neat job. 3mm was perfect.

Yeah...I know it's a pain and a mess, hence why I suggested a fine artist brush. Makes for easy and neat application but you still need to be careful and patient.

I'm not a fan of double sided tape then again, I only tried two cheapie brands.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #3,205 of 11,345
I'm going to find a piece of plastic later that's roughly like the backing of the driver where the Transpore sticks too and put a piece on there nice and well like I did the back of the driver on the T50RP's. Then, I'll see how long it takes for it to get "loose".

I think you'll start to hear if the transpore gets loose on the back of your driver. You're bass quantity will probably plummet.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,207 of 11,345
^Apparently, he can't. If he does, well he has to... 
Just kidding
biggrin.gif
But he can't. But you can still tweak to suit your personal taste - that's the best part of it.

I only slept and this thread generated 3 pages already. More Jedis!

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #3,208 of 11,345
Dang! Your headphones look great man!!!

Quote:
Well I posted a few pages back about what I did. You can look for the post, its on page 207, or 208 or something like that.
Here is the picture of the back of my baffle after the mod.

I don't have a picture of the inside of the cup with the acoustic foam.
The summary of my mods are:
- Acoustic foam covering back of cup
- Lots of plasticine in the baffles
- Two layers of Nexcare Flexible Tape on back of driver after removing white felt (stock)
- Remove felt from front of baffle (ear side) -- NOT the very thing foam that covers that side of the drivers, just the main felt oval
- Acoustic foam doughnut on ear side of baffle with back-of-the-ear-side double layered to angle the drivers
- SRH840 pads
- NO reflex dot

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #3,209 of 11,345
Heh? My EM3s are now scared with my T50s! I'm sure your UM3x have ran away already?
biggrin.gif

Dang it. I still have one day to go to get back to my Fostex - same with you - I leave it in the office and have my Earsonics for mobile.

Quote:
Uhg yeah don't remind me... I'm scared to listen to my UM3x now that I've heard these in all their glory.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,210 of 11,345
Luckily for me even after hearing the T50RP and knowing that they are better than my DT880 they sound different so I'm not as critical about them despite technical ability differences. 

Quote:
Yeah...I know it's a pain and a mess, hence why I suggested a fine artist brush. Makes for easy and neat application but you still need to be careful and patient.

I'm not a fan of double sided tape then again, I only tried two cheapie brands. 

I don't like some double sided tape. The one I currently have is too strong where it is difficult to remove without tearing whatever is on it esp if it is stuff we are using to mod like acoustic foam, felt, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back