Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3,211 of 11,345

Quote:
Luckily for me even after hearing the T50RP and knowing that they are better than my DT880 they sound different so I'm not as critical about them despite technical ability differences.  
I don't like some double sided tape. The one I currently have is too strong where it is difficult to remove without tearing whatever is on it esp if it is stuff we are using to mod like acoustic foam, felt, etc.

I initially used it to attach my Fischer Audio pads. I noticed it made noise and didn't seal all too well because it would move with enough pressure. Thankfully it didn't leave any nasty residue.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3,212 of 11,345
Once I get my O2 pads I'm going to remove the tape on the T50RP as I don't want pads that expensive to rip. Actually when I first removed the pads the double sided tape was so strong that part of the pads ripped off slightly

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #3,213 of 11,345

Quote:
Once I get my O2 pads I'm going to remove the tape on the T50RP as I don't want pads that expensive to rip. Actually when I first removed the pads the double sided tape was so strong that part of the pads ripped off slightly

eek.gif
That's bad!

Flysweep is being kind enough to lend me his O2 pads. I'm anxious to try them out and compare them to my Fischer 003 pads.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #3,214 of 11,345
Thanks for the feedback on midrange spike, guys.

My hopes went  slightly down, since they are as great, as they are unusable.

I only have plasticine in the baffle (but not around driver) and acoustic foam in the cups. I will have another go at them tomorrow, dumping the cups more and adding a reflex dot. Pictures are WIP.

Great natural sound, hopefully someone will come up with a solution for a midrange fix. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #3,215 of 11,345
Yeah I wasn't thrilled about them but I knew the stock pads were just temporary since I was going to get SRH840 pads or O2 pads and ended up with the O2 although I may pick up the SRH840 if I ever see them in stock at B&H or the FS forums just to compare. The stock pads are pretty bad as they are not very thick and bring me closer to the driver than I would like.

I hope you enjoy the O2 pads! I was going to offer to send them to you when I got mine but I see I was beaten to it so no longer necessary :)

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,216 of 11,345

Quote:
Dang! Your headphones look great man!!! 

Thanks man!  I'm glad you like them.  I really like the look of the SRH840 pads :)

I'm currently listening to my UM3x because I'm at the Union "studying Heat Transfer" (aka on Head-Fi -- my exam on Monday won't care...) heh.  Fortunately, they're not totally unlistenable.  They are less detailed, way more unnatural sounding, more unbalanced, more colored in bad ways, and have spikes in the FR all over the place.  I knew the UM3x weren't as good as my HD650's just from listening to them but they were close (in different ways, with a different sound signature naturally).  But, now that I've got my Dahminators (my last name is Dahm, therefore my headphones are the Dahminators) nothing is even close to touching those.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #3,217 of 11,345

Having heard both, I would personally go for the Lyr.

I am using a Heed CanAmp with mine. It gives it a nice warm texture.

If you want a portable amp then I would recommend the Fischer Audio Mystify. It has power to spare and it is very clean sounding.

The CEnteance Dacmini costs more than your price range but is worth a look. You can try it for 30 days and send it back if you don't like it, but there is nothing not to like. It is versatile, has a DAC and amp, RCA, Coax, Toslink, and USB connections. It performs audio magic with my LCD2's, modded T50RP's, Shure SE535's, and Etymotic ER4P/S.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #3,218 of 11,345
Wait, BMF, you own LCD-2's?  

Did you ever comment on which you liked more between the LCD-2's and modified T50RP's?

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #3,220 of 11,345
Do you mean a naked driver, cups-side?

I left the driver naked both sides (cup side and ear side), but filled the cups with cotton wool.

At some stage soon I am going to try some rockwool in the cups instead of cotton wool, it has a far greater effect on sound, as it is used for acoustic treatment in Home Theatre rooms with Rockwool panels.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3,222 of 11,345
"Aerogel is a manufactured material with the lowest bulk density of any known porous solid.[1] It is derived from a gel in which the liquid component of the gel has been replaced with a gas. The result is an extremely low-density solid, with a notable effectiveness as a thermal insulator."

If you reference my previous reply about thermal insulators, my guess would be terrible.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3,223 of 11,345
+1!

My pleasure. I am happy to share and hope that whatever I learn is helpful.

I've got more test results coming for common mod materials that can be easily implemented by anyone. This ain't rocket science. It's just fun.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #3,225 of 11,345

Quote:
Actually Rockwool is not so good, fibers everywhere, itchy ears me thinks, LOL.
You can get acoustic cotton, might try that.

agreed - messy stuff.  works well inside my Fostex loudspeakers though 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back