Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #3,166 of 11,345
I'm not sure I follow.  So, you have one driver with stock white driver felt intact and the other with it removed??  If this is what you have done, I don't think you can ever really determine what you like and don't like.  

Try this if one driver has white felt and the other is naked:  Get some "3M Nexcare flexible clear" tape (also called Transpore Surgical Tape).  If you can't find that tape, get a roll of "Johnson & Johnson Secure Comfort Tape."  The effects obtained from these two types of tape are very similar.

Put on 2 layers and lightly press around the perimeter of the drivers and across the grid lines beneath the tape.  Be careful to Not compress the tape layers over the open spaces between the driver grid lines. You want each tape layer's perforations to remain open instead of closing them when coming in contact with one another.  Then, test the sound.  

You might need to remove one layer or add one layer and add or remove a reflex dot depending on how it sounds to you.  I think 3 layers of Transpore and 2 layers of Secure Comfort tape plus a reflex dot come very close to stock white driver felt performance.  In any case, make only 1 mod at time, make notes about what you hear if you do not have another stock set or favorite modded set for comparison listening.

You may ultimately decide to remove the stock white driver felt from both drivers and go with the same tape/reflex dot configuration to have a balanced SQ from both drivers.  I hope this helps.

Quote:
Tried this on my less modded side and I can definitely hear a giant difference compared to the side without the stock felt that was on the back of the driver. It feels really weird, since the vocals sound farther away on one side and then they sound right next to you from your other ear. Also, there's more bass on my other ear, which makes it seem even weirder.... Too bad I can't make the two cups sound the same since I need to go buy a replacement for my torn up stock felt. ;P 

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3,167 of 11,345
Please describe your mods and materials.  Pictures would be helpful.

Quote:
Have anyone encountered like a midrange spike? I mean when singer hits letter 'I' (aye) it starts hurting my ears, like the resonance is back. Not enough dumping or bad dumping material? Also happens when drummer plays the snare. Otherwise it sounds quite good, but this honk in the mids is driving me insane. 
confused.gif

Desperately looking for any feedback.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3,168 of 11,345

Quote:
Have anyone encountered like a midrange spike? I mean when singer hits letter 'I' (aye) it starts hurting my ears, like the resonance is back. Not enough dumping or bad dumping material? Also happens when drummer plays the snare. Otherwise it sounds quite good, but this honk in the mids is driving me insane. 
confused.gif

Desperately looking for any feedback.

Getting the midrange under control after modding them is one of the most difficult things to do with these headphones.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3,169 of 11,345
Well I posted a few pages back about what I did. You can look for the post, its on page 207, or 208 or something like that.

Here is the picture of the back of my baffle after the mod.

I don't have a picture of the inside of the cup with the acoustic foam.

The summary of my mods are:

- Acoustic foam covering back of cup
- Lots of plasticine in the baffles
- Two layers of Nexcare Flexible Tape on back of driver after removing white felt (stock)
- Remove felt from front of baffle (ear side) -- NOT the very thing foam that covers that side of the drivers, just the main felt oval
- Acoustic foam doughnut on ear side of baffle with back-of-the-ear-side double layered to angle the drivers
- SRH840 pads

- NO reflex dot

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3,170 of 11,345
Well I posted a few pages back about what I did. You can look for the post, its on page 207, or 208 or something like that.

Here is the picture of the back of my baffle after the mod.

I don't have a picture of the inside of the cup with the acoustic foam.

The summary of my mods are:

- Acoustic foam covering back of cup
- Lots of plasticine in the baffles
- Two layers of Nexcare Flexible Tape on back of driver after removing white felt (stock)
- Remove felt from front of baffle (ear side) -- NOT the very thing foam that covers that side of the drivers, just the main felt oval
- Acoustic foam doughnut on ear side of baffle with back-of-the-ear-side double layered to angle the drivers
- SRH840 pads

- NO reflex dot

How does this configuration sound compared to your previous one?

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3,171 of 11,345
That configuration is the same one from last night which I fell in love with.  It seems to do everything right and very little wrong.  There is still a very small bit of sibilance present on very sibilantly recorded songs (I don't notice it normally).  I think its not the headphones, its just the bad recordings and the headphones just bring those flaws out.  The treble isn't as rolled off like the HD650's tend to be so thats part of it too.  It usually occurs in music that I don't listen to the K701's with so I can't much comment there.  DT990's is a wash because they are just sibilant headphones more or less regardless of what is being played (but a tube amp really helps tone that down).

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #3,173 of 11,345

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow.  So, you have one driver with stock white driver felt intact and the other with it removed??  If this is what you have done, I don't think you can ever really determine what you like and don't like.  

Try this if one driver has white felt and the other is naked:  Get some "3M Nexcare flexible clear" tape (also called Transpore Surgical Tape).  If you can't find that tape, get a roll of "Johnson & Johnson Secure Comfort Tape."  The effects obtained from these two types of tape are very similar.

Put on 2 layers and lightly press around the perimeter of the drivers and across the grid lines beneath the tape.  Be careful to Not compress the tape layers over the open spaces between the driver grid lines. You want each tape layer's perforations to remain open instead of closing them when coming in contact with one another.  Then, test the sound.  

You might need to remove one layer or add one layer and add or remove a reflex dot depending on how it sounds to you.  I think 3 layers of Transpore and 2 layers of Secure Comfort tape plus a reflex dot come very close to stock white driver felt performance.  In any case, make only 1 mod at time, make notes about what you hear if you do not have another stock set or favorite modded set for comparison listening.

You may ultimately decide to remove the stock white driver felt from both drivers and go with the same tape/reflex dot configuration to have a balanced SQ from both drivers.  I hope this helps. 

I was planning on buying the flexible tape to replace the stock driver felt... for some reason I worded that idea incorrectly, though. I meant that I can't do it at the current time since I don't have the tape with me. :3

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3,174 of 11,345
wdahm519,

I re-read your post from last night but I am not sure I understand what you did with the stock white driver felt.  Initially, you said you had no desire to remove it.  Later, you said you replaced it with 3M Transpore X 2 layers.  So, did you actually remove the white felt or did you put Transpore over the white felt?

Quote:
That configuration is the same one from last night which I fell in love with.  It seems to do everything right and very little wrong.  There is still a very small bit of sibilance present on very sibilantly recorded songs (I don't notice it normally).  I think its not the headphones, its just the bad recordings and the headphones just bring those flaws out.  The treble isn't as rolled off like the HD650's tend to be so thats part of it too.  It usually occurs in music that I don't listen to the K701's with so I can't much comment there.  DT990's is a wash because they are just sibilant headphones more or less regardless of what is being played (but a tube amp really helps tone that down).

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #3,175 of 11,345
Yeah I did two iterations last night.  One with the stock white felt, and then one iteration where I took it off and replaced it with two layers of Nexcare Flexible Tape.  When I replaced the white felt with the flexible tape, everything was more lush, the bass was stronger, and the highs were smoother and more recessed which at that point was an improvement because they were too in your face prior to the flexible tape.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3,176 of 11,345
Will the Schiit Lyr/Asgard work well with the thunderpants?
who will work better?
any other suggestions in the 350~400$ price range?
feeling really stupid asking all those questions before even buying the fostex t50rp, but im planning my rig for the next few years so...

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,177 of 11,345

Quote:
Will the Schiit Lyr/Asgard work well with the thunderpants?
who will work better?
any other suggestions in the 350~400$ price range?
feeling really stupid asking all those questions before even buying the fostex t50rp, but im planning my rig for the next few years so...

Having heard both, I would personally go for the Lyr.

I am using a Heed CanAmp with mine. It gives it a nice warm texture.

If you want a portable amp then I would recommend the Fischer Audio Mystify. It has power to spare and it is very clean sounding.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3,178 of 11,345
^^  Alright!  I'm really glad you got it dialed-in to suit your preferences.  Were you able to salvage the white driver felt?  If so, you can always go back.  If not, no harm-no foul since you like what you have better than stock.

beerchug.gif

BMF

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3,179 of 11,345
Haha nope, I absolutely destroyed the white felt.  Its in about 25 small pieces in the trash.  There's no way I would want to go back anyways.  This configuration wraps me in up a warm blanket of sound and lulls me to sleep.

beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #3,180 of 11,345

Quote:
Haha nope, I absolutely destroyed the white felt.  Its in about 25 small pieces in the trash.  There's no way I would want to go back anyways.  This configuration wraps me in up a warm blanket of sound and lulls me to sleep.

beerchug.gif

LOL! Nice!!!

If you guys are looking for a replacement for the white stock felt, I might have found a solution....

...use them after they have been used of course.
tongue_smile.gif

Your free modding tip of the day brought to you by Bounce and LFF.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back