Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #3,151 of 11,345

Quote:
Some final tuning (for now). I wanted to bump the high end a touch on my pair, so I did the following:

1.) Removed the alternating transpore / micropore I had been using (ala Smeggy). I had Transpore on the corner squares on the backs of the drivers over the stock white material, and Micropore on the other 4 outer squares with the center square uncovered by anything other than the stock material.

2.) Added 1 layer of Micropore over the entire driver.

3.) Added a large reflex clear dot to the center.

4.) Discovered that the layer of Paxmate I have on the front of the baffle under the pads was covering the vent hole, so I uncovered it.

5.) Added a layer of stiff craft felt over the vent openings. I have not closed any of the 4 with electrical tape.

6.) Still using FA-003 pleather pads, stuck on with double-sided tape. I may need to look at sealing these at the edges better, but we will see.

7.) I squeezed the headband a bit more to improve the clamping. I may try out LFF's suspension headband mod as I like the comfort of my AKG K501's a lot, and they use this type of suspension.

Here are a couple of pics:

Baffle Side

Cup (this photo does not show the craft felt, but it was added.

Final Product:

These mods appear to have worked quite well. I will need to do a bunch of listening of course. I suspect I will be trying to get a better seal around the pad edges.

Very nice! How are you liking the Fischer pads?

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #3,152 of 11,345
What is cotton wool?  Is it the same as cotton balls from the drug store?

Did you pull the cotton wool apart and loosely pack in the cups or leave them in ball form?

How much of the internal cup volume is filled with cotton wool and how much remains empty?

Quote:
Ok so, I take back what I said, I have found the G-spot, they are now officially as good if not better than the D7000's modded.

The problem with the tinny upper midrange was fixed with removing all felt or micropore from the back of the driver and filling the cups with cotton wool (left the paxmate there), and nothing on the front driver (that could be experimented with further, but at least I am not opening the cups anymore). All holes covered except one vent stripe with paxmate.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #3,155 of 11,345
CYoung234,

This is one of the mods I planned to try.  This morning, I duplicated your mods described in the quoted text, below.  I compared your mod set-up to my Modded Set #4 which served as my Reference Comparison set.  My Reference Comparison set is described in this thread on page 205, Post #3058; scroll down for details and a picture ...

Quote:
Some final tuning (for now). I wanted to bump the high end a touch on my pair, so I did the following:

1.) Removed the alternating transpore / micropore I had been using (ala Smeggy). I had Transpore on the corner squares on the backs of the drivers over the stock white material, and Micropore on the other 4 outer squares with the center square uncovered by anything other than the stock material.

2.) Added 1 layer of Micropore over the entire driver.

3.) Added a large reflex clear dot to the center.

4.) Discovered that the layer of Paxmate I have on the front of the baffle under the pads was covering the vent hole, so I uncovered it.

5.) Added a layer of stiff craft felt over the vent openings. I have not closed any of the 4 with electrical tape.

6.) Still using FA-003 pleather pads, stuck on with double-sided tape. I may need to look at sealing these at the edges better, but we will see.

7.) I squeezed the headband a bit more to improve the clamping. I may try out LFF's suspension headband mod as I like the comfort of my AKG K501's a lot, and they use this type of suspension.

Here are a couple of pics:

Baffle Side

Cup (this photo does not show the craft felt, but it was added).

BMF modded set #4, quoted from my post #3058 on page 204 of this thread:

Naked drivers once again.  I tried 1 to 3 layers of "3M Nexcare flexible clear tape." The back of the package says "Hospital name: 3M Transpore Surgical Tape."  It has numerous perforations that allow just the right amount of air movement/driver excursion and adheres easily. Right off the bat with just 1 layer, I knew I was onto something great.  With only one layer of this tape, the cans opened up nicely but still had a tad too much sub-bass, slightly muffled mids on vocals, and veiled treble with no air at all.  Two layers was better and three layers much, much better than 1 or 2.  With each layer, the sub-bass was progressively controlled and the mids and highs unveiled.  Further tuning with a reflex dot better suits my tastes and hearing range.  This fourth set of modified T50RP's sound just like my third set used as my reference for these mod comparisons.  Closing off 1 to 3 bass port slots with electrical tape over the stock bass port felt allows for fine-tuning the bass:  the more slots covered, the less bass you get.  Closing all 4, however, resulted in a hollow, "in a well" type of sound effect superimposed over everything.

Conclusion:  With my preferred mods (stock white driver felt in place, Paxmate in the cups, plasticine in the baffles, stock black bass port felt in place covering all 4 vent slots, and Paxmate donut under the ear pads) I was able to sonically match their sound signature by substituting "3M Nexcare flexible clear tape (3M Transpore) in place of the T50RP stock white driver felt.  This tape may be your solution if you mangled your stock white driver felt and want an equivalent to take yours back to stock SQ.  As always, your results may differ.

New and Improved BMF's - Modded set #4

Paxmate Plus in cups, Claytoons plasticine in baffles, Stock white driver felt removed, 3 layers of "3M Nexcare flexible clear tape ( aka Transpore )" over the back of the drivers, furniture bumper for reflex dot at center position of driver grid, Stock black bass port felt in place and no additional bass tuning, and a ring of Paxmate under stock ear pads.

Comparison of BMF mods #4 and CYoung234 mods:  

My Comparison set #4 closely matches the sound signature I prefer:  Clear, balanced, and wide soundstage; deep, textured, fast sub-bass in ample quantity that is well controlled without bleeding over into the mids; warm, full, silky smooth and detailed mid-range as if sitting two or three rows back from the center stage; clear, detailed treble extension without fatigue.

My set duplicating CYoung234's mods:  The CYoung234 soundstage is similar in width to BMF #4 but depth is pushed back way too far; instruments and vocals sound like I am sitting at the back of the theater 30 or 40 rows from the center stage. The sub-bass is significantly diminished in quantity but not so much in quality; the bass is still textured and fast but not as prominent.  The mid-range is significantly attenuated, compressed, and thin; instruments and particularly vocals sound hollow. The upper mids and treble frequencies are extremely exaggerated making this set Hot and fatiguing to my ears.

Conclusion:  Your mods do not offer the SQ  and signature I prefer.  I am happy, though, if your mods provide the SQ and signature you prefer.

Next, I will try one layer of 3M flexible clear (3M Transpore) tape over the stock white driver felt.

Cheers,

BMF

Edit 1:  I think that placing 3M Nexcare gentle paper tape (Micropore) and a reflex dot over the stock white driver felt markedly increases back pressure, reduces air flow, and limits diaphragm excursion too much producing the sound signature and sound qualities I described after implementing CYoung234's mods.

Edit 2:  I removed the 3M Nexcare gentle paper tape (Micropore) and reflex dot.  Everything else remained the same. I placed one layer of 3M Nexcare flexible clear tape (Transpore) over the stock white driver felt. Transpore had no negative effects compared to the problems caused by Micropore in this set-up.  

Transpore tape over stock white driver felt is a mod worth trying if your stock white driver felt is intact and you want to decrease the bass quantity (no effect on quality of the bass), move the vocals and mids to the 3rd or 4th row from center stage, and increase treble brightness.  I think the more favorable results achieved with Transpore, instead of Micropore, over the stock driver felt is due to only slightly increasing back pressure, minimally restricting air flow, and slightly limiting diaphragm excursion compared to stock.  Note:  Transpore tape has numerous perforations whereas Mircopore has none. As always, your results and opinions may differ.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #3,156 of 11,345
BMF, I really appreciate your willingness to test and compare all these various mods. The fact that you have one reference set with the white felt intact is a real bonus for folks like me who are still on the fence about whether the felt should stay or go.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #3,157 of 11,345
Quote:
Hmm, I wonder how much shipping costs to Canada from there...I just asked for a quote from them.

In August, Tiffany at Performance Audio emailed me:
"Shipping to Canada would be between $25 and $30 depending on if you decide on UPS or USPS."

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #3,158 of 11,345
I am wandering if thermal insulation material can be used instead of paxmate for the cup. This material is very often used in hvac application

http://www.kflexusa.com/HomePages/MarketsHome.aspx?ID=36&productID=74&line=8

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3,159 of 11,345
Nope, I think not.  

Thermal insulation material always tries to lower the heat transfer rate by instituting a resistor into the heat transfer barriers.  Therefore, such a dense but closed-cell type material will act as a sound wave reflection surface, instead of absorbing the sound pressure waves.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #3,160 of 11,345
I got my Yulong D100 dac back from repair and my Violectric V200 amp came in the mail so I got some better gear for the T50RP. I feel that the amp pairs quite well with the T50RP from what I've heard so far although I haven't had much time on it since I took out my DT880 shortly afterwards. I got some nice listening sessions ahead of me :)

Quote:
BMF, I really appreciate your willingness to test and compare all these various mods. The fact that you have one reference set with the white felt intact is a real bonus for folks like me who are still on the fence about whether the felt should stay or go.

x2

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #3,161 of 11,345
Have anyone encountered like a midrange spike? I mean when singer hits letter 'I' (aye) it starts hurting my ears, like the resonance is back. Not enough dumping or bad dumping material? Also happens when drummer plays the snare. Otherwise it sounds quite good, but this honk in the mids is driving me insane. 
confused.gif

Desperately looking for any feedback.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3,162 of 11,345
Tried this on my less modded side and I can definitely hear a giant difference compared to the side without the stock felt that was on the back of the driver. It feels really weird, since the vocals sound farther away on one side and then they sound right next to you from your other ear. Also, there's more bass on my other ear, which makes it seem even weirder.... Too bad I can't make the two cups sound the same since I need to go buy a replacement for my torn up stock felt. ;P

Quote:

Transpore tape over stock white driver felt is a mod worth trying if your stock white driver felt is intact and you want to decrease the bass quantity (no effect on quality of the bass), move the vocals and mids to the 3rd or 4th row from center stage, and increase treble brightness.  I think the more favorable results achieved with Transpore, instead of Micropore, over the stock driver felt is due to only slightly increasing back pressure, minimally restricting air flow, and slightly limiting diaphragm excursion compared to stock.  Note:  Transpore tape has numerous perforations whereas Mircopore has none. As always, your results and opinions may differ.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #3,163 of 11,345
Have anyone encountered like a midrange spike? I mean when singer hits letter 'I' (aye) it starts hurting my ears, like the resonance is back. Not enough dumping or bad dumping material? Also happens when drummer plays the snare. Otherwise it sounds quite good, but this honk in the mids is driving me insane. 
confused.gif

Desperately looking for any feedback.

Yes, definitely. Makes them unusable in my opinion. I think this is maybe what people are talking about when they mention the shoutiness. This happened to me after I replaced the white backing material with stiff felt, though I am not certain of that as it was some time ago. Putting felt in front of the driver somewhat reduced it but also significantly reduced treble. I'm still waiting for the magic formula to arrive. In the meantime I make my phones usable by using a parametric equalizer to precisely flatten frequency spikes. I've also added a large square of white plasticised paper as a reflex dot under the backing stiff felt to reflect more treble (I'm a treble head). As soon as I get some transpore tape I'll be replacing the backing felt and see what happens. I also want my soundstage back which I hope that will do (by allowing me to open the vents wider merely covering with felt, as stock).

For parametric EQing see this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial. Rockbox has a parametric EQ, so hopefully your kit can be rockboxed, and that guide lists some free parametric EQ plugins for windows. I use Ubuntu linux (10.04) with Aqualung and the TAP LADSPA plugins both of which can be installed from Ubuntu's 'software centre' at the bottom of the 'Applications' menu which makes it fantastically easy (also Steve Harris's LADSPA plugins which include para EQ with shelves, pretty nice, but limited to 3 non-shelved EQs). Even without this issue parametric equalizing is a good idea due to ear canal resonances that cause spikes; usually around 5000Hz for a circumaural and 7500Hz for IEMs, but you need to follow the guide to get the numbers right as ears vary. Taking those spikes out much improves matters even on the etymotics. As a non-resonance example: on my humble PL30s there was a +8db at 750Hz which made a night and day difference; they sounded like the musicians where playing in a box until I flattened that hump.

With parametirc EQing sibilance issues are much improved. In fact cheaper headphones are generally transformed and take a major step up in performance.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,164 of 11,345
I got the opposite affect when my pressure equalization hole was plugged. Low mids were super recessed. When i unplugged it I got more tighter bass and a lush midrange balanced perfectly with smooth detailed highs.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #3,165 of 11,345
I got the opposite affect when my pressure equalization hole was plugged. Low mids were super recessed. When i unplugged it I got more tighter bass and a lush midrange balanced perfectly with smooth detailed highs.

What's your general scheme: stiff felt on the back of the driver?

Partially covering that hole with transpore or micropore might be a new tactic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back