JUST AUDIO - uHA-120 headphone amp
Apr 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #46 of 210
Thinking about the AHA-120 for my desktop (can just use an RCA-to-3.5mm from my D100, maybe even Just Audio's one: http://www.justaudio.co.uk/interconnects.html), given I've heard the uHA-120 and liked it a lot and it's less of a hassle to get here in the UK than some of the other things I was looking at, I don't need a whopping great amp and I can leave it connected to my USB hub rather than using another wall socket. Only quibble would be that the input's on the front and I want my wires hidden, but that's a very minor thing.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #47 of 210

[size=medium]
I hope you do wind up getting one. I leave it run via USB just as you describe quite often at work. No need for a wall adapter at all. Justin also tole me at the meet right before we took off that if you change the switch on the back of the amp from 'Batt' to 'USB' while having it connected, there's the added benefit of possible gains in headroom. I've played around with the switch listening for differences, and if there are any, it's a pretty small effect. Perhaps there's a hint of gain in air, but then again maybe it's my mind looking for differences. I do like knowing he is aware there could be improvements that way, and let me know about it though.

[/size]

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #49 of 210
All out of stock at the moment (guess they must be popular, good to know!), can't see the interconnects for sale anywhere though. I'll probably drop Justin an email at some point about availability. Hopefully by the time I get to the stage where I want a portable amp (need my Focal monitors first!), his IEM one will be ready!

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #50 of 210
Please excuse my ignorance, when talking about a mains adapter, would plugging it straight into the mains using an Apple usb charging plug suffice to charge the battery? I must admit that I am loathe to try in case I break my amp.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #51 of 210
Don't see why not, it's just an Apple branded adapter, not specific to charging only Apple stuff. I charge my S:Flo2 that way and it's quicker to charge than doing it on USB port on the computer because it's a little power hungry mofo and can suck more juice up that way.

May 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #52 of 210
I'm in contact with Justin, working on some tweaks to best suit use with my Westone ES5. The guy is an absolute gem, wonderful to deal with and has really gone out of his way to accomodate my needs. I'm planning on getting an orthodynamic in the near future and might just get a second uHA-120 to run it balanced :)

May 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #53 of 210
I am looking for an amp with excellent extension above and below and mentioned to Mike at headfonia that if I couldn't find a smaller amp maybe I'd get the uha-120 despite its size. He said he's heard the aha-120 and that has a very mid-centric sound and his guess was that the uha-120 had the same sound sig, so I should avoid it...

What do owners say?

May 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #54 of 210
Mid-'centric'?.... no. Mid-'correct'..... yes. 

May 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #55 of 210
I have only one objection - we cant have two prominent portable amp designers called 'Justin'. Its just (!) too confusing, and since Mr Wilson was here first, the other guy will need to change his name to something distinctive like 'Ray' or 'Jan'.

Glad I could help.

May 2, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #57 of 210
Maybe he was listening to mid-centric headphones? Unless we measure frequency responses of all sources, headphones and amps it's going to be difficult to tell what exactly in the chain is coloring the sound.

Quote:
Thanks, maybe the aha-120 has a different signature than the uha-120.

May 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #58 of 210

Quote:
Maybe he was listening to mid-centric headphones? Unless we measure frequency responses of all sources, headphones and amps it's going to be difficult to tell what exactly in the chain is coloring the sound.

Have you ever checked out headfonia.com?
Mike has a lot of audio under his belt.

May 2, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #59 of 210
I have and I don't agree with everything he says, which isn't surprising as we all know how subjective audio is. I wasn't trying to imply that he's incompetent at all. I will soon find out for myself if the uHA-120 is mid-centric, perhaps it is.

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #60 of 210

Quote:
I have and I don't agree with everything he says, which isn't surprising as we all know how subjective audio is. I wasn't trying to imply that he's incompetent at all. I will soon find out for myself if the uHA-120 is mid-centric, perhaps it is.

No worries, I'd like to hear your impressions when you receive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back